E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Drip drip from coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 04:03 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 E60 530xi M Sport
Default Drip drip from coolant

Over the weekend I bought my first BMW, I’ve been an enthusiast for years without ever only one. It’s a 2007 530 XA with the performance package. I knew that I had some issues but I got it for a good price and I’m willing to do whatever it takes to make this thing perfect.

when I got it home and walk the next morning I had what looked to be oil under the car. Though I kind of jumped around and looking at all the seals suspecting that it was probably something to do with the oil filter gasket and heat sink, but that all looks pretty dry. Inspecting the head gasket and inspecting the valve cover gasket those appear to be dry to may be a little bit of weeping but nothing serious. I also have all of the paperwork for this car since it was new and a valve cover gasket and a head gasket was done in 2013 and 2015 respectively.

once the car gets hot I can see the coolant dripping from a fitting on the driver side from what looks to be may be a T connection with a temp sensor or maybe it’s a valve I’m not sure but I noticed this morning that the passenger side heat vents were ice cold. I went into the iDrive system just to make sure that the balance was that correct and that all seem to be good. I also noticed that the power steering reservoir is completely gunky, so I’m wondering if the previous owners were just constantly leaking coolant to the point that the power steering reservoir overflowed from the car overheating. on further inspection I can also see some oil residue in the coolant sump. And something set out to me from when I bought the car because as I was rearranging some things in the trunk the previous owner said oh hey you’re gonna need this and handed me this oil filter wrench that is definitely not BMW issue, and to be honest I wouldn’t use it on any oil filter because it was just going to crush it but I can see where they used it on the oil filter cap so they definitely weren’t tightening that down to the proper torque . So, I pulled that off ensure enough that gasket is all matched and I can see a little bit of oil leaking down the backside.

so it looks like to me that I probably have some oil that clogged the passenger side heater core or maybe it’s just blocked I don’t know I got to take this whole thing apart and perhaps that’s why the coolant is leaking out of this tea fitting. It just seems like a simple thing was able to explode into a much bigger thing I don’t know. I guess my question is this; how difficult is it to get to the heater core on the passenger side? I’m comfortable with these engines but in my life I’ve never taken a heater core out of a BMW but I can tell you that I’m excited to get into it!
Old 03-14-2022, 05:00 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Murdered530xi
Over the weekend I bought my first BMW, I’ve been an enthusiast for years without ever only one. It’s a 2007 530 XA with the performance package. I knew that I had some issues but I got it for a good price and I’m willing to do whatever it takes to make this thing perfect.

when I got it home and walk the next morning I had what looked to be oil under the car. Though I kind of jumped around and looking at all the seals suspecting that it was probably something to do with the oil filter gasket and heat sink, but that all looks pretty dry. Inspecting the head gasket and inspecting the valve cover gasket those appear to be dry to may be a little bit of weeping but nothing serious. I also have all of the paperwork for this car since it was new and a valve cover gasket and a head gasket was done in 2013 and 2015 respectively.

once the car gets hot I can see the coolant dripping from a fitting on the driver side from what looks to be may be a T connection with a temp sensor or maybe it’s a valve I’m not sure but I noticed this morning that the passenger side heat vents were ice cold. I went into the iDrive system just to make sure that the balance was that correct and that all seem to be good. I also noticed that the power steering reservoir is completely gunky, so I’m wondering if the previous owners were just constantly leaking coolant to the point that the power steering reservoir overflowed from the car overheating. on further inspection I can also see some oil residue in the coolant sump. And something set out to me from when I bought the car because as I was rearranging some things in the trunk the previous owner said oh hey you’re gonna need this and handed me this oil filter wrench that is definitely not BMW issue, and to be honest I wouldn’t use it on any oil filter because it was just going to crush it but I can see where they used it on the oil filter cap so they definitely weren’t tightening that down to the proper torque . So, I pulled that off ensure enough that gasket is all matched and I can see a little bit of oil leaking down the backside.

so it looks like to me that I probably have some oil that clogged the passenger side heater core or maybe it’s just blocked I don’t know I got to take this whole thing apart and perhaps that’s why the coolant is leaking out of this tea fitting. It just seems like a simple thing was able to explode into a much bigger thing I don’t know. I guess my question is this; how difficult is it to get to the heater core on the passenger side? I’m comfortable with these engines but in my life I’ve never taken a heater core out of a BMW but I can tell you that I’m excited to get into it!

it looks like my coolant is dripping from under #7
Old 03-14-2022, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 300 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Number 7 should be you aux pump. Maybe the hose needs to be replaced or even both
The following users liked this post:
Murdered530xi (03-16-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 08:34 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I have a 2006 530xi...few things...

Not uncommon for the power steering pump reservoir to be grungy. Mine is perpetually.

If you have oil, it is coming from someplace. You should track it down more precisely.

Post a photo of the coolant leak.

Post a photo of the oil filter wrench.

I don't know how you got the parts photo that shows the aux pump -- your car does not have that pump.

Do not take out the heater core. If you have a heat problem it is more likely to be the valve - #5 in the photo that has the pump which you don't have.
Old 03-14-2022, 06:06 PM
New Members

So k was able to get into the engine compartment today; removed the air intake box and the leak I’m seeing from the coolant is coming from the heat control valve assembly. Called the local BMW dealer today and they said it would be 4-5 days for the part to come in.

​​​​​​…..so I jumped on over the Amazon and found one for $31.00. I crossed linked some reviews and nobody has had much negative to say so I ordered that. It will be here in the am. Also ordered a rebuild kit for the one I’m taking out so I’ll have a spare if the alibaba knockoff fails.

here’s the wrench they guy said I needed to use for the oil filter cap!

yeah…that’s not right. How does one toque with this?

As far as the oil leak goes, it looks like I don’t actually have an active leak. Everything I’m seeing points to maybe a leak that was repaired maybe…but I also found the oil cap was just resting over the opening and not turned…perhaps they didn’t know that the engine cover can be removed to allow the square to turn..

wednesday we put her up on the lift and do 1000 point inspection.

here she is…

Old 03-14-2022, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 185 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

For $31 I'd be concerned, unless you're sure its OEM.

Regarding that wrench, ah nope, that's not the right one. Well, you can remove the cap with those but how you going to torque?
Old 03-15-2022, 08:07 AM
New Members

Amazon part installed, works great, problem solved.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:46 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by Murdered530xi
Amazon part installed, works great, problem solved.
What part?
Old 03-15-2022, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 185 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Originally Posted by twh
What part?
Heater control valve.
The following users liked this post:
twh (03-15-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 05:04 AM
New Members