E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Drifting on the Highway

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Well I had the pleasure of driving my three week old 530i on a road trip from New Jersey to North Carolina.

It was the first significant distance drive for my beauty on the highway and I seemed to notice it was rather hard to keep on track. It seemed to drift in the lane. After a few hours my fiancee took over and noticed the same behavior. At the next stop at the gas station I pulled out the guage and found the tires were filled to 46 PSI! I thoght holy fock! Looked at the manual and it clearly stated 29 PSI front (Cold) and 36 rear. Slightly higher for more passangers and higher speeds of over 100 mph. But this is the US and I rarely get the chance to pull speeds that high and not for any length of time.

Needless to say I dropped the pressure a bit and it drove like a dream.

Anyone have the same experience?

Old 07-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

sorry, not yet.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='308161' date='Jul 7 2006, 09:11 PM
Well I had the pleasure of driving my three week old 530i on a road trip from New Jersey to North Carolina.

It was the first significant distance drive for my beauty on the highway and I seemed to notice it was rather hard to keep on track. It seemed to drift in the lane. After a few hours my fiancee took over and noticed the same behavior. At the next stop at the gas station I pulled out the guage and found the tires were filled to 46 PSI! I thoght holy fock! Looked at the manual and it clearly stated 29 PSI front (Cold) and 36 rear. Slightly higher for more passangers and higher speeds of over 100 mph. But this is the US and I rarely get the chance to pull speeds that high and not for any length of time.

Needless to say I dropped the pressure a bit and it drove like a dream.

Anyone have the same experience?

I'm sure you already know this, but for those that don't and are reading this, it it best to wait for some time before you take the air pressure of the tires. Your numbers are skewed, but nonetheless I'm sure your dealer did overinflate your tires.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:18 AM
Senior Members

Yes. Air under heat expands same pretty much for all other gases (yes even N2) but air expands more. So to check the pressure exactly after you've pulled over from a highway journey is not a correct way to get an acurate reading. None the less that doesn't mean your tires were overinflated. But it's in a way too much to say that car drifts on a highway? I mean come on...maybe gets slightly more instable but drift?!
Old 07-08-2006, 05:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='308228' date='Jul 8 2006, 07:18 AM
Yes. Air under heat expands same pretty much for all other gases (yes even N2) but air expands more. So to check the pressure exactly after you've pulled over from a highway journey is not a correct way to get an acurate reading. None the less that doesn't mean your tires were overinflated. But it's in a way too much to say that car drifts on a highway? I mean come on...maybe gets slightly more instable but drift?!

All I can report is what my fiancee and myself felt when driving it. The next morning I reset the tires to the correct cold PSI per the manual and it drives great now.

Old 07-08-2006, 05:45 AM
Members

My Ride: ED '07 530 soon to replace my ML500 previous: '00 540i6, '98 V70T-5, '95 318i, '89 Jetta, '79 Beetle Conv.

Nick,

I just drove from Charlotte, NC to the SC coast (~200mi) this past Monday, and returning in a few hrs.

Next month I will be driving from NC to Maine.

FWIW over 4 BMWs (and 4 VWs) I use the 100mph setting for trips and return the inflation to normal upon return. I usually have four of us and heavily load and traveling at night esp NC-Maine I can run high speed.

I only notice the "drifiting" you mention on rutted roads (SC) solely due to the low profile tires.

Hope you enjoyed your time here.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Yep, mine were over inflated too. I followed Ray Hull's advice and dropped them to just over the minimum recommended pressures and it made a big improvement as you say.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:07 AM
Senior Members

I picked up my car from Atlanta on 6/30 and drove it to Fayetteville, NC approx 450 miles and the initial interstate ride was very smooth, so smooth that when I was doing 80mph it felt like I was only doing 40, 50mph.

After a week in NC I drove my car from there to NJ approx 620 miles. The drive was similar very smooth, despite the rough roads in SC and parts of NC. Maybe because I don't have the SP or lower profile tires than 50.

I got a total of 1210 miles on my car as of now. My break in period was a quick one

In the end I didn't notice any *drifting* on my journey. I didn't check the psi on my tires but according to the tire label it says that the max psi is in the 51 range.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

just to clarify, this is "drifting on the highway"
Old 07-08-2006, 07:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

It should be well known by all that checking tire pressure is almost number one on any and all new car pick up check lists.

That air pressure is the shipping pressure. Your dealer has not prepped the car properly. They should have let OUT the air pressure to the proper setting. It's usually about 50 PSI as shipped from Germany

Quick Reply: Drifting on the Highway