E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

drifting in a 545...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 07:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well my friend happened to ask me if the 545s are any good at drifting. he watched some of those bmw films and since is raining here in socal, he wants to see what his car can do in wet conditions. what do you guys think
Old 10-19-2004, 08:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 545Ai, Silver grey, black, poplar, Sport Pkg, Logic 7, Comfort seats, Nav, HUD, PDC, rear shades, and satellite radio

Is this your 17 year old friend? Why doesn't he get an M3, go to the track and/or take some courses.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

The DSC,TSC and ABS make drifting quite difficult. Make sure you turn everything off. A BMW with 50/50 balance that is rear wheel drive can drift, but the technology certainly gets in the way.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:12 PM
Senior Members

drifting = dangerous, also kills your tires very quickly. dont do it on public streets, maybe ok in a private parking lot....
Old 10-19-2004, 08:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Also, the 5 (with the exception of the new M5) does NOT have a limited slip differential, thus making it much more difficult.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

I agree with the above. Too me, drifiting is a "poor" driving technique in the way that it means the car is not completely in control., ie., in professional racing the best line is one that has the most control and maximizes speed through a turn, the "perfect line", which BMW engineering is focused on.

Drifting is a new sport, at least here, and seems to me to be more style-based. From what I have seen the cars in drifing sports are modified ones but not the high - performance ones, eg. Porsche, Ferrari, etc. It certainly is gaining in popularity and seems to be very popular with the tuner crowd.

I agree that this should not be done on public streets, however. It is very dangerous, and best left to a track or private lot.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by KenTO' date='Oct 19 2004, 10:22 PM
I agree with the above.? Too me, drifiting is a "poor" driving technique in the way that it means the car is not completely in control., ie., in professional racing the best line is one that has the most control and maximizes speed through a turn, the "perfect line", which BMW engineering is focused on.
[snapback]46905[/snapback]
The Kids seems to think its cool I guess whatever chimes your bell.

Here ya go, I think you will find the 2 clips entertaining, as demonstrated by JPM of BMW Williams F1.

JPM having fun w/ M5

cheers,

beewang
Old 10-19-2004, 10:00 PM
Senior Members

assalbert, i'm just wondering why doesn't your friend join us and ask questions on his/her own ?

drifting is originated from japan. a lot of young drivers fell in love with a extremely popular japanese animation called "initial d". the main actor in there drives a 1986 toyota corolla, aka ae86. many people said that car is "king of drifting" . needless to say the car is no longer available but some hardcore fans are willing to pay as much as a brand new accord and restore everything .

assalbert, no offense to your friend but i don't understand why he/she is putting cheap gas to save some money but willing to burn the expensive tires ? is he/she leasing the car ? i personally think this is not the best car for him/her. probably a g35 coupe, wrx sti, or as firewired said, a m3.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:46 PM
Members

lol, hes not a computer guy, all he uses the comp for is comp games like counter strike and watching initial d, hahaha. i originally wanted him to get the sti because im getting an evo in april. right now i drive an 02 x5, btw is there a forum for x5s? and yea, he is leasing the car for 3 years and plans to get the new m5 after hes going to this bmw driving thing in arizona or something like that too.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by assalbert' date='Oct 19 2004, 08:46 PM
lol, hes not a computer guy, all he uses the comp for is comp games like counter strike and watching initial d, hahaha. i originally wanted him to get the sti because im getting an evo in april. right now i drive an 02 x5, btw is there a forum for x5s? and yea, he is leasing the car for 3 years and plans to get the new m5 after? hes going to this bmw driving thing in arizona or something like that too.
[snapback]46939[/snapback]
ok, leasing. that's why he wants to drift the car .

Quick Reply: drifting in a 545...