E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The dreaded transmission slam

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my first encounter with the ever popular transmission slam while accelerating out of a median today. What a disturbing feeling that was . I honestly considered getting out and checking to make sure the rear end was still intact. I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this problem just once, or is it more than likely to reoccur. I am considering calling my SA and requesting a tranny reprogram, but I am afraid I won't be able to replicate the problem for them. Wasn't this supposed to be remedied by now?
Old 07-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Senior Members

well i have the latest progman and it happen to me at speeds like 40mph about a dozen times...... The dealer says "Can not reproduce. Does not happen" hahah
Old 07-26-2008, 06:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

I don't know what the "slam" is you're describing. More info?
Cal
Old 07-26-2008, 06:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Funny, this problem has been in BMW trannies for more than 15 years. I had it in my '93 740i! Why does BMW not address this issue? Is the company listening out there?
Old 07-26-2008, 07:10 AM
Senior Members

You will be driving along and it will feel like you just hit a pot hole at 40mph. You look back because you think your nuts that a brand new road will have a pot hole.... nope that was your trans
Old 07-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i White/Black Sport

Originally Posted by 1600' post='633063' date='Jul 26 2008, 09:33 AM
Funny, this problem has been in BMW trannies for more than 15 years. I had it in my '93 740i! Why does BMW not address this issue? Is the company listening out there?
I think BMW tries to do too much.
Who really needs the D/DS/M modes? More gimmicky imo.
Give me a car that Purrs when cruzin' and Growls when called
and I'm a happy camper.
No slam, no lag, no gurgle.

I know, I know, I should be on the Lexus forum.
But, based on members' reaction when the 25 sec reset 'works', I'd say that the engineers at BMW should start paying attention. These are not acceptable features on a supposed high quality vehicle imho.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

That happened once to my 2000 740i, I was doing about 150 km per hour when it happened, I'll never forget the feeling. It only happened once and I could not replicate to the dealer.

Originally Posted by JDoug550' post='632924' date='Jul 25 2008, 11:05 PM
I had my first encounter with the ever popular transmission slam while accelerating out of a median today. What a disturbing feeling that was . I honestly considered getting out and checking to make sure the rear end was still intact. I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this problem just once, or is it more than likely to reoccur. I am considering calling my SA and requesting a tranny reprogram, but I am afraid I won't be able to replicate the problem for them. Wasn't this supposed to be remedied by now?
Old 07-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

I had this happen after I had a recent visit to BMW service. They had recalibrated the transmission apparently.

I was in DS coming into a parking lot, was coasting in and was almost stationary, then put my foot on the gas. The car felt like it shifted all the way down from 4th to 1st and the slam. I actually thought someone had come in behind me and hit me it was so loud.

I've been making sure I shift into D before I go into parking lots and stop and go traffic thinking that might help.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='633253' date='Jul 26 2008, 07:04 PM
I had this happen after I had a recent visit to BMW service. They had recalibrated the transmission apparently.

I was in DS coming into a parking lot, was coasting in and was almost stationary, then put my foot on the gas. The car felt like it shifted all the way down from 4th to 1st and the slam. I actually thought someone had come in behind me and hit me it was so loud.

I've been making sure I shift into D before I go into parking lots and stop and go traffic thinking that might help.
I was in DS when my slam happened too, but I think it is utterly ridiculous that I can't drive my car in any mode I desire without a transmission slam. I agree with Hawaiian-I, perhaps BMW needs to simplify matters and perfect that product.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by JDoug550' post='633278' date='Jul 26 2008, 07:27 PM
I was in DS when my slam happened too, but I think it is utterly ridiculous that I can't drive my car in any mode I desire without a transmission slam. I agree with Hawaiian-I, perhaps BMW needs to simplify matters and perfect that product.

I agree! I have a 2005 and you have 2008....you would expect that it would be fixed by now!

Since it doesn't happen very often and its hard to replicate by BMW we need to make careful note as to the conditions that cause it.

Quick Reply: The dreaded transmission slam