E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

dreaded check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:36 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Fiel, got your PM. Sorry man but I have no clue on this topic and don't know what to do to help. Kristine (lilazngrl4o8) also PM-ed me about this yesterday and I feel bad for not having any advices for you guys. Since you guys are both local, ping each other and see if you can help each other. Did you check with Darwin? He might know someone that can help diagnose the problem.

Good luck guys!
Old 09-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i Jet Blk, Blk Int, SMG, Sport, Nav, Prem, CW Pack, L7, PDC

Originally Posted by BMWRINO' post='663098' date='Sep 5 2008, 07:20 PM
Well now it's my turn to chime in ... I got the Increased Emissions (Emissions-Related Fault) and Service Engine Soon warning today..

I was already low on gas about 20 miles remaining looking for a gas station... the low gas warning was already on when the Increased Emissions warning came on.. Anyone know if one is related to another or just coincidence?

It was 100 degrees out today in San Jose and I was driving kinda aggressive having fun with my recent AFE Cold Air Intake install.. Does outside temperature and/or newly installed CAI cause the Increased Emissions?

I filled up gas and made sure a few times now that the gas cap is securely closed. The car is running fine from what I can tell. It never went into "limp home mode" or felt any different... just the warning messages. I'm not going anywhere this evening, so I'll wait to restart the car tomorrow morning to see if it clears. If not, I'm going to post and ask if a NorCal member has one of those OBD-II reader tools to see what exactly is the Emissions-Related Fault.

If you find a member with an OBD-II reader, please let me know. My Increased Emissions and Service Engine Soon lights are still on. My car drives fine though *knocks on wood*. No lag or limp home mode. It feels fine and drives like normal with just the lights. Mine happened yesterday and the light was still on as of this evening.

Mine came on when I went over a bump/uneven pavement in the rd. As soon as my rear passenger tire hit that bump, the light came on. I'm thinking and hoping mine was a result of a loose gas cap. I got gas 2 days before the light came on and for some reason the gas topped off when it clicked and it overflowed. First time it ever happened and I didn't squeeze any extra pumps out of the first release. I thought it was a little weird, but didn't think much of it. Being OCD, I didn't want to get my hands all in there and touch some of the gas so I could have possibly not tighten the gas cap all the way.

At any rate, my light is still on so I feel your pain
Old 09-06-2008, 05:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by phocker' post='661295' date='Sep 3 2008, 09:22 PM
Well I knew it would happen sooner or later. My idrive popped the dreaded check engine display. It's the "increased engine emissions" display. I'm wondering what I could look at before sending it to the shop. My gut feeling is the o2 sensors. This car has 58K miles on it. Am I right? What should I check to save me a little cash? I don't have a warranty. DIY'ers please chime in.

This may be an emissions-related problem that is covered (in the USA) for a longer period of time than the factory 4yr/50K. Can we get input or perspective from Rudy / Jonathan?
Old 09-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue Metallic, Premium Sound, Cold Weather Package

2005 545 with 34k miles. Service engine light and increased emissions message came on Friday along with the passenger air bag warning light (early recall fix?). Hopefully it will make it to Tuesday to find out what is the matter. Luckily I scheduled a visit to the shop last Thursday when the battery started weakening and the AC began to dwindle. I'll report back with the news. I put fuel in on Sunday so I doubt it's the gas cap.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Members

went to get it checked, the ventilation valve was the culprit in my case. Had it replaced...problem fixed!!
Old 09-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Contributors

Location: Milky Way, Earth, N. America, CA, San Jose, 95136, Latitude N 37� 16.837, Longitude W 121� 50.461
My Ride: 2004 530i | Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 | DPE R07 Variant S Gloss Black with Polished Lip 20x8.5 front 20x10 rear | Falken FK452 tires 245/30/20 front 275/30/20 rear | H&R Coilovers | Smoked Tail Lights | M5 trunk spoiler | AC Schnitzer style roof spoiler | HID 8000K headlights & foglights | 35% tint all around | Sprint Booster | Speed Innovation ECU tuning | M5 trunk finisher | M-Tech body kit | Remus Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer style pedals | Euro Stickers | RPi Ram Air Induction | Smoked LED Side Lenses | AC Schnitzer style e-brake handle | AC Schnitzer style shifter | AC Schnitzer style iDrive knob | AC Schnitzer style carbon fiber diffuser | carbon fiber hood/trunk/steering emblems | carbon fiber grilles | carbon fiber door pillars | MTEC v2 Angel Eyes | Hamann style carbon fiber splitter

Originally Posted by phocker' post='664838' date='Sep 8 2008, 01:52 PM
went to get it checked, the ventilation valve was the culprit in my case. Had it replaced...problem fixed!!
nice! i'm glad to hear you're all set.. hopefully my problem is just as simple to fix..
Old 09-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMWRINO' post='663098' date='Sep 5 2008, 07:20 PM
Well now it's my turn to chime in ... I got the Increased Emissions (Emissions-Related Fault) and Service Engine Soon warning today..

I was already low on gas about 20 miles remaining looking for a gas station... the low gas warning was already on when the Increased Emissions warning came on.. Anyone know if one is related to another or just coincidence?

It was 100 degrees out today in San Jose and I was driving kinda aggressive having fun with my recent AFE Cold Air Intake install.. Does outside temperature and/or newly installed CAI cause the Increased Emissions?

I filled up gas and made sure a few times now that the gas cap is securely closed. The car is running fine from what I can tell. It never went into "limp home mode" or felt any different... just the warning messages. I'm not going anywhere this evening, so I'll wait to restart the car tomorrow morning to see if it clears. If not, I'm going to post and ask if a NorCal member has one of those OBD-II reader tools to see what exactly is the Emissions-Related Fault.
samething happend to at 39k miles mine when i installed the AFE CAI, ALTHOUGH i did install it wrong and had to put the stock ari box on.... the bmw rep said that it was giving wrong error codes for rich mixture air. So i installed the intake back on and no problems ever since!!
Old 09-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Contributors

Location: Milky Way, Earth, N. America, CA, San Jose, 95136, Latitude N 37� 16.837, Longitude W 121� 50.461
My Ride: 2004 530i | Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 | DPE R07 Variant S Gloss Black with Polished Lip 20x8.5 front 20x10 rear | Falken FK452 tires 245/30/20 front 275/30/20 rear | H&R Coilovers | Smoked Tail Lights | M5 trunk spoiler | AC Schnitzer style roof spoiler | HID 8000K headlights & foglights | 35% tint all around | Sprint Booster | Speed Innovation ECU tuning | M5 trunk finisher | M-Tech body kit | Remus Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer style pedals | Euro Stickers | RPi Ram Air Induction | Smoked LED Side Lenses | AC Schnitzer style e-brake handle | AC Schnitzer style shifter | AC Schnitzer style iDrive knob | AC Schnitzer style carbon fiber diffuser | carbon fiber hood/trunk/steering emblems | carbon fiber grilles | carbon fiber door pillars | MTEC v2 Angel Eyes | Hamann style carbon fiber splitter

Originally Posted by southgate' post='664856' date='Sep 8 2008, 02:12 PM
samething happend to at 39k miles mine when i installed the AFE CAI, ALTHOUGH i did install it wrong and had to put the stock ari box on.... the bmw rep said that it was giving wrong error codes for rich mixture air. So i installed the intake back on and no problems ever since!!
Hi Southgate... I was able to get an OBD-II code scan and the error came up as "P0172 : System too Rich (Bank 1)". It sounds like the same error that you were getting. So did the BMW rep actually fix anything, or are you saying after you just reinstalled the CAI the problem went away? Just wondering if I really need to take it into BMW or not...
Old 09-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMWRINO' post='664913' date='Sep 8 2008, 04:33 PM
Hi Southgate... I was able to get an OBD-II code scan and the error came up as "P0172 : System too Rich (Bank 1)". It sounds like the same error that you were getting. So did the BMW rep actually fix anything, or are you saying after you just reinstalled the CAI the problem went away? Just wondering if I really need to take it into BMW or not...
well i took it to BMW to reset the idrive, after is when i put the intake back on
Old 09-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i silver grey, 6spd, comfort seats, L7, sport, cold weather, rear heated seats

Got the same notice on Saturday. This is my second one. The first one was a thermostat fault or something similar that they replaced. I have an appointment on Tuesday to see what this one is.

Quick Reply: dreaded check engine light