E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

DPF Failure Message

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012 | 03:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530d M-Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Dakota Black Leather, Professional Nav. Hardwired Road Angel + Laser, De-Swirl Flapped!!

Guys, I'm hoping that someone can help on this. I've got a software glitch that is bringing up a DPF Failure message every time I start up. I'm certain there's nothing wrong with the DPF as it was changed 12k miles (5 months ago) for a new BMW original one. Expensive. I've got a friend with diagnostic equipment which comes back no faults found, and back pressure is within the normal range so we're stuck for next steps.

There's nothing wrong with the car, performance isn't off - but the message on the i-drive means MOT failure for a warning message. I'm fairly certain this is a software gremlin, anyone got ideas as to what next?

Thanks! Dan
Old 03-30-2012 | 09:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

I´m probably looking for the real easy way out but was the DPF maintenance interval reset after replacement? Or is it a true Failure message instead of maintenance?

Member Anzafin any some others who are very knowledgeable on the DPF frequent this thread.

Good luck!
Old 03-30-2012 | 09:22 AM
Members

Do you know the last time a regneration occured? If its been a while and as a quick one to rule out, check that the coolant temperature is getting past 75 degrees otherwise it can't start a regen. Search for hidden menu instructions to find coolant temperature and drive for at least 20 minutes at steady speed.
Old 04-01-2012 | 12:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

[font="'Comic Sans MS"]what mileage did you change the dpf at?[/font]
Old 04-01-2012 | 01:47 AM
Members

It won't be a "software glitch" there will be a reason. As mentioned above:
  • It may be failing to regenerate - perhaps why the original failed. That is likely to be failed thermostats and the car not reaching 75C.
  • The obvious one is that the iDrive wasn't reset when it was replaced.
  • Some other sensor has failed, possibly the exhaust back pressure sensor.
You might need to get the car on proper BMW diagnostic equipment. Standard hardware like Bosch, Snap-on etc. don't normally "see" all the fault codes. If the car is giving you a warning there will be an associated fault code, if not many.
Old 04-02-2012 | 05:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530d M-Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Dakota Black Leather, Professional Nav. Hardwired Road Angel + Laser, De-Swirl Flapped!!

Guys, thanks for the stream of replies. So far, I've gone through all of those bits.
@Theo - I did the reset after dpf replacement - I-drive shows it's good for another 120k
@Steve.R - I forced a manual regeneration last week which made no difference.
@Sanjsanj - Mileage was 88k
@JasonH - I know where you're coming from with this. I am steering towards software for above reasons & I'm working with A1BMW in Stevenage who have all the diagnostic equipment. I don't think it's back-pressure sensor - this was reading 70 at idle & 105 at full load, so it's working and within limits.

I'm currently booked in at the $tealership on Thursday so we'll see what it comes to. Anyone with further ideas, please chime in - otherwise, I will post from a lightened wallet on Thursday.
Old 04-02-2012 | 01:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Originally Posted by danno530
@Steve.R - I forced a manual regeneration last week which made no difference.
I'm currently booked in at the $tealership on Thursday so we'll see what it comes to. Anyone with further ideas, please chime in - otherwise, I will post from a lightened wallet on Thursday.
are you sure it actually regenned though? Forcing a regen doesn't guarantee a regen, all it means is it will regen when the parameters are next met, so if your thermostats have been weak/shot all along, even the forced regen wouldn't have triggered a regen.
Do you know what the tell tail signs of the car regenning is?

[font="'Comic Sans MS"]Use the "Secret OBC" menu number 7, and check what temp your coolant runs at while driving at a steady speed on the motorway and report back.
[/font]

In all honesty, I fear your time and money will be wasted at the stealers, and it will be better spent going towards a dpf delete.