E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Doubling the speed limits . . . your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:53 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

In the States, going over the speed limit is, in short, breaking the law. I've probably done it on a few occasions . . . OK . . . most of the time.

Aside from road conditions, your condition, and your car's condition, what do you have to say about driving double the speed limit? In other words, if the car is capable, the driver is capable, and the road permits (no traffic, slim chance of endangering others):

1. Would you give a blessing or a cure?
2. Have you done it? (You can use the pronoun "we" to extend your anonymous status if needed)
3. If yes, why did you (we) do it?

This question can be for speed zones ranging from 35 mph to 75 mph, i.e., driving 70 mph in a 35 mph zone and/or 150 mph in a 75 mph posted freeway.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

National speed limit is 65 mph. Double that is 130 mph. No way. I had a Chevy Impala as a loaner car once and it got scary once I was up to 80 mph and I consider myself a very capable driver. Our e60s can handle 100 mph as if it were 70mph, but cars such as Chevys and Hondas, it gets dicey when they are in triple digits.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:29 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

doubling the speed limits.... ehh.... depends. depends on all conditions if they permit plus all the other factors of that moment. why do it? not to be a smart@$$ or anything but well, why not? after considering everything..

but one thing, isnt hitting triple digits considered as "criminal speeding" or something like that? i forgot if i asked this question before but sorry i forgot.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

For one, driving a BMW, one really doesn't feel the actual speed -- it all seems slower than it really is.

I've already gotten 4 speeding tickets since I got my car and it's only about 6 weeks old. As much as it pisses me off, I really think it's my fault since I never ever got a speeding ticket in the past decade driving other cars albeit Hondas, Fords, Lexuses... not quite in the same league as BMW, that's for sure. Yeah, I've been a bit 'accelerator-happy'! But damn those cops... Just 9 km over the speed limit... Gdmmt!!!

I do second the opinion of 'car brands not named' going faster... they'd become a bit dangerous.....
Old 08-23-2007, 01:50 AM
Members

My Ride: May 2008 530D "M" package Exclusive line.

Whatever the car, the "over-confidence"...is the most dangerous
Old 08-23-2007, 05:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550iReno, NV
Model Year: 2008

I have done 150 in my car, but I was in the middle of BFE and I could see the road for about three miles, and I knew there were no other cars to be seen.

"3. If yes, why did you (we) do it?" Just being stupid...
Old 08-23-2007, 05:08 AM
Senior Members

come on, everybody drives over the limits from time to time, but hey these E60s you never feel your going that fast until you see needle, but yes i ahve hit 162mph in my rempped 530d, and loved ever moment of it. iT WAS IN Controled enviroment.

But hey who drives there E60 normally, everybody tears were they can, the torque on the diesil engines have to be felt.

ATTEMPT WERE POSSIBLE.........!!!

Drive safe all.!
Old 08-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='461603' date='Aug 22 2007, 11:08 PM
National speed limit is 65 mph. Double that is 130 mph. No way. I had a Chevy Impala as a loaner car once and it got scary once I was up to 80 mph and I consider myself a very capable driver. Our e60s can handle 100 mph as if it were 70mph, but cars such as Chevys and Hondas, it gets dicey when they are in triple digits.

Exactlly. Some cars can handle it and some cars just cant. It somtimes freaks me out to see a old 1980s toyota corolla going 80+ or a 90s honda civic...theres no way he can control that thing if anything happens. I've driven like 1999 Civics and anything above 75 the car is basically worthless... sure people will THINK it can go faster and yes it can but the contol of the car quickly diminishes... useless junk unless going from A to B under the speed limit.

But VT according to the original poster he was referring to if your car is capable and if the driver is capable... YES I agree I think we should be able to go above the speed limit if both YOU and the car can handle it. But unfortuently thats not that case... I wouldnt go as far as saying 65mph to 130mph but probably up to 110. There's too many people out there that "THINK" they are God behind the wheel when they're not. Some cannot judge and react good enough to be going faster than 70.

And it'll be too hard to distinguish the people with cars who can so it'll never happen here in the states.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Senior Members

Lightbulb

thats right, the E60 can certainly handle speeds of upto 160, and slightly more, however look at the M5, thats over 200mph, these cars are tested at certain speeds,

i would reccommend all E60 owners to buy uprated brakes, as it is always safe to slow down just as fast as you pick up speed.

my experience is, sometimes on sloped hill downwards on a motorway you can easily not even notice you are doing a 100mph, before you look at the speedo or head up display.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Members

After test driving my 2006 525 (3.0) I saw no reason for a bigger engine. Bought it in Stuttgart and drove it close to a year in Germany. I had the cruise control set at 145mph (yes,MPH) many times. My 525 felt like it could go faster, but that was my comfort level - even on the autobon.

I relocated to the US in January and the limits here are killing me!!!!

Quick Reply: Doubling the speed limits . . . your thoughts