E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Double Action Door Handles

Old 03-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

I've read it here, somewhere... but I can't remember why the doors don't open immediately on the first pull of the inside door handles. And, is there a way to disable the default "feature" if it can be called that, so they do open on the first pull. Seems ridiculous to me.
Cal
Old 03-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Contributors

ITS about the saftey.... think about it....
Old 03-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

If you lock the door, you have to pull it twice, first pull to un-lock, second pull to open the door.
I disable the auto-lock function, so I can open the door with one pull.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I actually dont like the fact that the doors open with 2 pulls. When I lock the doors I want them locked until I hit the unlock button. That's what the lock button was designed for even before central locking.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='550659' date='Mar 25 2008, 11:27 PM
If you lock the door, you have to pull it twice, first pull to un-lock, second pull to open the door.
I disable the auto-lock function, so I can open the door with one pull.
Absolutely correct. I prefer the security with the auto lock doors, anyhow, its only if the engines running that you have to pull twice, as soon as the engines turned off the doors automatically unlock, then just one pull.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='550666' date='Mar 25 2008, 11:33 PM
I actually dont like the fact that the doors open with 2 pulls. When I lock the doors I want them locked until I hit the unlock button. That's what the lock button was designed for even before central locking.
Yeah ,but they're still locked from the outside. The double pull is surely a convinience thing, as you can't just lift the locking button, you have to press the button in the console, then that unlocks all the doors, not just the one you are trying to open. So there is additional security.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by littlemouse' post='550668' date='Mar 25 2008, 04:35 PM
... anyhow, its only if the engines running that you have to pull twice, as soon as the engines turned off the doors automatically unlock, then just one pull.

This isn't true, at least in the case of my car. Engine off... still two pulls required. Nutty,
Cal
Old 03-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 Black on Black 535i

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='550673' date='Mar 25 2008, 03:44 PM
This isn't true, at least in the case of my car. Engine off... still two pulls required. Nutty,
Cal
Mine's the same...engine off...still 2 pulls. You can turn off the auto lock feature from the iDrive. Then just one pull will get you out.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Senior Members

I may end up doing that... but as noted above, the auto lock has some redeeming value. The Engine-Off/Single-Pull feature would be a nice complement to the auto lock.
Cal
Old 03-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by markd' post='550690' date='Mar 26 2008, 12:11 AM
Mine's the same...engine off...still 2 pulls. You can turn off the auto lock feature from the iDrive. Then just one pull will get you out.
The only thing I can think, is there is a difference between the US version and the UK Version.

My 04 525d definately unlocks the doors when the engine is switched off. You Guys had me doubting myself, so I've just been out and tried it. Drive off, all doors auto lock. Turn off engine, doors unlock, one pull. Sad, I Know

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Double Action Door Handles