E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Door Seals

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I have been through the door seal issue for about 16k miles. My first ones where quiet up to about 10k miles.

Once they started making noise, I waited for the new ones. They where not better, infact my passenger door also started making noise after that.

Then they lubed them. Fine for a couple of weeks (max).

I tried the dawn soap thing, even though I don't get wax on my door jams.

Then I took it in and said I wanted them fixed without lube. My dealer (Santa Barbara BMW) had been in contact with the field service engineer and there next fix was clean the door jams (with dawn I believe).

Still creaked.

I had them verify twice that they where the new seals (checked by serial number).

Then, again based on BMW, they adjusted the doors. Passenger was fine, drivers still a problem.

Then, again based on BMW, they re-adjusted the driver door. This time the made the adjustment in the other direction (either tighter or loser, don't remember).

It has been fine for about a month now.

I think the solution is in the door adjustment. BMW field service had them try different adjustments. Although I hate to talk too early, this may be the solution.

I would press your dealers to check with BMW field service to find the appropriate action, but I think the door adjustment is key.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jsal' post='240688' date='Feb 15 2006, 03:44 PM
I have been through the door seal issue for about 16k miles. My first ones where quiet up to about 10k miles.

Once they started making noise, I waited for the new ones. They where not better, infact my passenger door also started making noise after that.

Then I took it in and said I wanted them fixed without lube. My dealer (Santa Barbara BMW) had been in contact with the field service engineer and there next fix was clean the door jams (with dawn I believe).

Still creaked.

I had them verify twice that they where the new seals (checked by serial number).

Then, again based on BMW, they adjusted the doors. Passenger was fine, drivers still a problem.

Then, again based on BMW, they re-adjusted the driver door. This time the made the adjustment in the other direction (either tighter or loser, don't remember).

I think the solution is in the door adjustment. BMW field service had them try different adjustments. Although I hate to talk too early, this may be the solution.

I would press your dealers to check with BMW field service to find the appropriate action, but I think the door adjustment is key.
This is my 2nd E60, my 3rd set of NEW seals on the new E60, and still - a crap load of creaking. can't take it anymore. it's ridiculous. they spoke about door adjustments, but so far nothing. I am supposed to sit down with field tech engineer and aftersales person, AGAIN, soon!
Old 02-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by wassy' post='240728' date='Feb 15 2006, 02:18 PM
This is my 2nd E60, my 3rd set of NEW seals on the new E60, and still - a crap load of creaking. can't take it anymore. it's ridiculous. they spoke about door adjustments, but so far nothing. I am supposed to sit down with field tech engineer and aftersales person, AGAIN, soon!
Door adjustments are the thing to try - they seem to have worked for me. Have your field tech talk to the S.Cal Field Tech (That is who my dealer was getting the instructions from). Don't remember if the solution was to make it tighter or looser.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jsal' post='240808' date='Feb 15 2006, 07:45 PM
Door adjustments are the thing to try - they seem to have worked for me. Have your field tech talk to the S.Cal Field Tech (That is who my dealer was getting the instructions from). Don't remember if the solution was to make it tighter or looser.
the field tech engineer is aware of it already.. thanks.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

I had this 1 month after collection and I read about all the lubing blah blah blah. So, this is what I did, and it worked for a couple of my friends. It's been a year, in between I did it one more time just to ensure.

I use leather lotion and applied them quite generously onto the felt like materials at the top of the door frame (the whole length). Massage them in and of course wipe off the excess. Voila, the creek was gone.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I've had this problem for a while and nothing seems to shift it. Quick question - do we know whether it is the rubber seals around the door or the felt strips on top of the door that cause the creaking? Might be worth trying the door adjustments as Jsal suggests - I've never thought of that.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='240856' date='Feb 15 2006, 05:47 PM
I've had this problem for a while and nothing seems to shift it. Quick question - do we know whether it is the rubber seals around the door or the felt strips on top of the door that cause the creaking? Might be worth trying the door adjustments as Jsal suggests - I've never thought of that.
The problem is with the felt-like seal that runs along the very top of the door. This is documented in a BMW Service Information Bulletin (SI B 51 02 05). I was going to get mine replaced next week but it was so bad I couldn't stand it anymore. I used some Vinylex and quiet was instantly restored. I don't expect it to last but I'm considering not bothering having the seals replaced (the runflats are another matter though). Some seem to have no better luck with the replacement seals, others say Dawn fixes things. Maybe I'll just use some Vinylex once a month or so.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Silver Gray/Black Step Auto. Sports Package, Logic 7, Cold Weather Package, Parking Distance, and Rear Sun Shades 2002 330ci Titanium Silver/Gray Step Auto, Sports Package, Premium Package, Xenon, 18 inch wheels.

Originally Posted by jsal' post='240688' date='Feb 15 2006, 02:44 PM

Still creaked.

Agree.
I had to adjust both front doors and use soap clean door seals and door jams to fix the cracking problem.
So far so good. Old door seals and no more cracking.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by 5 Rakete' post='240903' date='Feb 15 2006, 06:56 PM
The problem is with the felt-like seal that runs along the very top of the door. This is documented in a BMW Service Information Bulletin (SI B 51 02 05). I was going to get mine replaced next week but it was so bad I couldn't stand it anymore. I used some Vinylex and quiet was instantly restored. I don't expect it to last but I'm considering not bothering having the seals replaced (the runflats are another matter though). Some seem to have no better luck with the replacement seals, others say Dawn fixes things. Maybe I'll just use some Vinylex once a month or so.
Cheers - I'll give this a try
Old 02-16-2006, 04:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bmw545' post='240994' date='Feb 15 2006, 11:49 PM
Agree.
I had to adjust both front doors and use soap clean door seals and door jams to fix the cracking problem.
So far so good. Old door seals and no more cracking.
exctly how did you adjust the doors? what part(s) should I be trying to move?

Quick Reply: Door Seals