E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Door open warnings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Only had my E60 for a few weeks and wondered if I'm missing something.

I had an E39 for nearly 6 years and when the doors or boot (trunk) were open, there was a diagram of the car viewed from above which showed which door was open. This was especially useful as my kids have a habbit of not closing them properly so they had only caught on the first part of the mechanism. The pictogram used to warn me visually and with an audio "bong" if I started to move off with a door (or boot) not properly closed.

There doesn't seem to be any visual or audio warning on the E60 for this, or have I missed something?
Old 11-04-2005, 01:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by Kev525' post='193609' date='Nov 4 2005, 04:59 PM

I had an E39 for nearly 6 years and when the doors or boot (trunk) were open, there was a diagram of the car viewed from above which showed which door was open. This was especially useful as my kids have a habbit of not closing them properly so they had only caught on the first part of the mechanism. The pictogram used to warn me visually and with an audio "bong" if I started to move off with a door (or boot) not properly closed.

There doesn't seem to be any visual or audio warning on the E60 for this, or have I missed something?
Hi Kev and welcome to the forum.

If a door is left open you will get a car/door open warning symbol in the centre of the instrument panel together with a gong.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='193611

If a door is left open you will get a car/door open warning symbol in the centre of the instrument panel together with a gong.
[/quote]

Thanks - I've just been outside and tried it as I don't remember seeing anything. I've now realised the reason for this is the pictogram only shows up when you actually start moving. (I opened one of the rear doors and closed it onto the first engagement point then reversed along my drive and back towards the garage again and sure enough a yellow pictogram appeared in the centre).

On the E39 it was there "in your face" before you even thought about moving off. (It disappeared from the display on the E60 as soon as I came to a halt again)
Old 11-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by Kev525' post='193620
Originally Posted by Kev525' post='193609' date='Nov 4 2005, 04:59 PM

Thanks - I've just been outside and tried it as I don't remember seeing anything. I've now realised the reason for this is the pictogram only shows up when you actually start moving. (I opened one of the rear doors and closed it onto the first engagement point then reversed along my drive and back towards the garage again and sure enough a yellow pictogram appeared in the centre).

On the E39 it was there "in your face" before you even thought about moving off. (It disappeared from the display on the E60 as soon as I came to a halt again)
[/quote]

I think you also get warning message on the I drive screen too!
Old 11-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Members

My Ride: UK 2005 530d E61

I had the same issue and posted on this today (I'm quite new here and can't find how to cross link topic but it was under 'check icons'). I had thought it was to do with the 'car' icon that appears, but it seems it is probably not.

On my E46 I had a nice pictogram for open doors and blown lamps. I've tried to find an equivalent on my E61 (Apr 05) ... but for example if I leave the back door open, start the car and move I seem to get no warning at all. I also find the kids tend not to pull the rear doors hard enough to close them fully.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sumu' post='193623' date='Nov 4 2005, 10:13 PM
I had the same issue and posted on this today (I'm quite new here and can't find how to cross link topic but it was under 'check icons'). I had thought it was to do with the 'car' icon that appears, but it seems it is probably not.

On my E46 I had a nice pictogram for open doors and blown lamps. I've tried to find an equivalent on my E61 (Apr 05) ... but for example if I leave the back door open, start the car and move I seem to get no warning at all. I also find the kids tend not to pull the rear doors hard enough to close them fully.
Didn't spot your post earlier on the Check Icons topic, but have read it now and replied there. (Phew - there's a lot of topics and posts going on with this site and I'm struggling to keep up!)
Old 11-04-2005, 06:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

The E60 didn't have that pictogram where they show a car with which door is not closed properly. The only way I know that doors are not closed properly before driving off is when you check the rearview mirrors, the courtesy lights in your car does not go out. But you have the guess which door is not tight. They should have something on the iDrive to tell you which door is not closed properly, very easy to do actually with the software upgrade. But if no one is complaining than BMW would not write a new program for this function.

As for the blown lights, the iDrive will display a fault message along with which light is out (last time I was playing around with my lights above the license plate and the iDrive show an error message like left plate light malfunction, very informative).
Old 11-04-2005, 11:21 PM
Senior Members

If you have HUD you will get the pictogram showing you which door is open.
Attached Thumbnails Door open warnings?-img2005_11_05_0029.jpg  
Old 11-05-2005, 12:10 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 525d Mystic Blue Business Line

Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='193702' date='Nov 5 2005, 04:03 AM
As for the blown lights, the iDrive will display a fault message along with which light is out (last time I was playing around with my lights above the license plate and the iDrive show an error message like left plate light malfunction, very informative).
If you have a trailer, the car will warn you even if the trailer has a blown bulb !
Old 11-05-2005, 12:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by BMW#5' post='193781
Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='193702' date='Nov 5 2005, 04:03 AM
If you have a trailer, the car will warn you even if the trailer has a blown bulb !
Are you for real?

Quick Reply: Door open warnings?