E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

door locks

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='209827' date='Dec 10 2005, 09:45 PM
Actually, it is not a technology glitch but a choice.

I gad a gm that unlocked when stoppped (oldsmobile) and one that did not (saturn) - and when we talked about it,we decidede there was a conscious decision not to unlock the dorrs - for example - so someone can not get in the car whne you stop or my kids can not escape from the car until I let them out.

I do not have aproblem with BMW's decision not to unlock when stop or remove the key, I just thought with all of the technological features this would be something you could set

If you can not change the setting then I would prefer the way it is so my kids can not get out until I let them. This also explains why there is no child safety door selection for the rear doors

but when it is just me in the car (which is 75% of the time) - I wish I could turn it off

What I might do is just change back to the other setting and never have the doors lock when it is just me -

maybe I'll have one set of keys for jsut me and the other key for me and the kids

BMW sure gives you lots of options - and when you get a few you just want more I guess
If forced to choose one option over the other, then I'd choose never unlocking all doors automatically. I don't want to give someone the opportunity to enter my car from any door unless I am aware and ready. I can't imagine wanting to say "come on in world my car will unlock all my doors for you when I turn the engine off or take my key out."
Old 12-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i Silver Gray/Black, Sport, Prem., Logic 7, Cold Weather, Auto, M Aero package, Nav, Comfort Seats, IPod aux

When I ordered my car I filled out a BMW Car & Key Memory form--- in those choices, I could select:

* auto locking of doors after exceeding 2.5 mph (the default is to NOT have this active) and

* selective central unlocking which is one push of the button to unlock the driver's door, second press to unlock all doors (the default is to have this active).

Both of these options are configurable depending on which key is used.

There were not any choices related to unlocking doors when the key is removed, which IMO is a good safety feature.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='209713' date='Dec 10 2005, 02:25 PM
i have the doors set to lock when the car starts rolling, but when i shut the car off the doors stay locked and i have to pull the door handle twice to get out.
is there a way to makethe doors unlock when i turn off the car?
No in the US models. For whatever reason (definitely not legal reasons), its the bmw way in the US, I think. Don't worry, you'll get used to it very quickly. Just like the double open handle feature to open a locked door from the inside, it will become second nature before you know it . . . this comes from a person who drives a Toyota most of the time.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BigartK' post='209825' date='Dec 11 2005, 02:36 AM
The solution to having the doors unlock is easy. Move to Scotland or the U.K. or Sweden.

Otherwise, assuming you intend to remain in the U.S., there is no way to make the doors unlock when you remove the key from the ignition.

BMW touts this, like other things that they tout, as another spectacular advance in safety......etc. etc.

Somehow, my Wife's Audi unlocks when the key is removed. I find it quite convenient.

Art
Watchung, NJ
Scotland is the UK
Old 12-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

mine unlocks itself on removal of the key from the ignition...
I guess it is EURO spec thing
Old 12-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

I am sick of the "Pull it twice" unlock, I turn off my Auto-lock-door function.

I have to remind myself to luck the door manually when I drive into downtown area.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Members

[/quote]If forced to choose one option over the other, then I'd choose never unlocking all doors automatically. I don't want to give someone the opportunity to enter my car from any door unless I am aware and ready. I can't imagine wanting to say "come on in world my car will unlock all my doors for you when I turn the engine off or take my key out."
[/quote]

Oh man, I'm glad I live in the UK