E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Door Locks!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 06:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyways... A spare key for the girlfriend ? I wouldn't do that...
iceman, do you think i want to do that <_<? i didn't want to do that at all ! but she said the plastice valet key is extremely "ugly" . she doesn't want to carry it at all . she was grumbling and just like the energizer bunny...keep going...and going...and going... !
Old 07-25-2004, 09:20 PM
Contributors

So, the car will lock the door by itself with the key in the ignition?
Something wrong there.
So what's the best way to break in with minimal cost for repair? Calling the dealer? Rear passenger window? This wasn't the first person locked out of this highly secure car.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:39 PM
Contributors

My friend has an E65 7-series and a couple of months ago his wife opened the doors and put her purse and key on the seat, then she put her 18 month old son in his car seat and closed the door. Before she could come around and get in the driver's seat all the doors locked by themselves. She was 50 miles from home and had no way to get a spare key so she called the police because the baby was crying and the weather was hot. They came and told her that this car is really hard to break into and that they would have to break the door glass. Appearently they kept banging on the glass and it would not break easily. finally it did and they were able to open the door from inside.

Not only did the glass break but the interior door panel and exterior window moulding was also damaged. My friend called BMW NA and took it to the dealer and BMW paid for replacing everything that was damaged and broken, so I am assuming that this may have happened a few times before and BMW would rather pay for everything than risk being sued.

Your E60 may have had the same problem, so perhaps BMW would pay for the damages.

good luck,

rodybmw
Old 07-26-2004, 04:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: DMS 535d. Titanium Silver on Black leather. M- Sport Package.

Reset your I drive settins in the Door Locks section. Do not select the function which says Lock doors if not opened or something like that . I'am sure that is what caused your problem. Nevertheless keep smiling
Old 07-26-2004, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Jul 26 2004, 08:39 AM
My friend has an E65 7-series and a couple of months ago his wife opened the doors and put her purse and key on the seat, then she put her 18 month old son in his car seat and closed the door. Before she could come around and get in the driver's seat all the doors locked by themselves. She was 50 miles from home and had no way to get a spare key so she called the police because the baby was crying and the weather was hot. They came and told her that this car is really hard to break into and that they would have to break the door glass. Appearently they kept banging on the glass and it would not break easily. finally it did and they were able to open the door from inside.
What a nightmare!
Old 07-26-2004, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Jul 26 2004, 04:01 AM
do you think i want to do that <_<? i didn't want to do that at all ! but she said the plastice valet key is extremely "ugly" . she doesn't want to carry it at all . she was grumbling and just like the energizer bunny...keep going...and going...and going... !
I feel with you.
Now she has nice little pawn and can use it for blackmailing you...
You'll never get rid of her...
Old 07-26-2004, 06:23 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I have both of those options checked. The relock option if you don't open a door and they lock doors after the car reaches a pre set speed. I think if one of those is reponsible it would have to be the latter. Even though you would have to be going pretty fast for a car wash. Maybe in Germany the car wash systems are faster that in the US. If thats the case then as soon as the summer/fall weather goes away and more of us use a car wash in the winter, we will be hearing much more of this here.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

I feel for you, after going through a similar event on a previous car I never leave the key inside the car, never.

Since my very first car, I have never used a car wash. I have always taken the time to pamper them my self (that's my insanity).

I've seen my car lock the doors by themselfs already (key not in the ignition) so beware.

I have lock doors after driving off setting checked.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Jul 26 2004, 04:23 PM
I have both of those options checked. The relock option if you don't open a door and they lock doors after the car reaches a pre set speed. I think if one of those is reponsible it would have to be the latter. Even though you would have to be going pretty fast for a car wash. Maybe in Germany the car wash systems are faster that in the US. If thats the case then as soon as the summer/fall weather goes away and more of us use a car wash in the winter, we will be hearing much more of this here.
I've both set too and allready used the car wash a couple times without problems. The car washs are not faster over here...
Old 07-26-2004, 08:28 AM
Members

Well heres an update... i went to the dealer today and they hooked my 5er up to the diagnostics and then they told me that they will have to contact bmw and see what to do because they dont know...they think its just a software program but i already have the latest one and also they said the doors should not have locked if the key was in the ignition and the car was off...its like a sensor or something....so anyways i told them i felt like bmw was responsible for the damage to my 5er well they said that they dont see how and that it was the locksmiths fault...so anyways i figure if they want to play hardball im game because it seems to me if they dont want to pay for the damages to my 5er then they can reimburse me for the locksmith fee 128$ so well see what happens and i will also bring up the other story about the lady.....i appreciate it guys, thanks

Quick Reply: Door Locks!