E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Don't move to west Texas

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:23 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey boost, thanks for the link. I was prepared to have Dallas as the place to go. I will check out Abilene beforehand though, it is closer and I have a friend here who is from there so he travels there every weekend . It would be most convenient for me.

And bimmerfan, that DIY seems legit. That will be my number 1 resource for tackling this. One question though, and this goes out to anyone. Towards the end of the instruction, after the initial filling process, isn't it necessary to get the trans to operating temp after the fill, run through all the gears, then continue to fill afterwards to get that bit of fluid you put in to mix around? Running through the gears should allow for some room for more fluid, and measuring the right amount based on what comes out as old fluid doesn't seem too reliable as there may have been some burn off over time, or does that not occur with transmissions? I've read through some other instructions (mostly for BMWs) on other models and done a flush for a few different makes (american made cars, a few hondas) and it's usually best to run through them after you add as much fluid as it takes, then after the run add more until it cant take anymore again. I wish i still had my bently manuals for those cars so i could verify it. But if I'm wrong let me know, I've got some time before I actually go through with this.

And anyone know anything about a magnetic drain plug? CTSC doesn't mention if theirs is, and i heard that the magnets inside the pan itself are ok, but a magnetic plug wouldn't hurt to help out. Is the ctsc magentic or no?
Old 06-16-2013, 05:49 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i & 01 316i

Did you ever find a shop in Abilene?