E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Don't make the mistake I made

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 06:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Retired 2008 535i Titanium-silver with sport, premium, steptronic, NAV, HUD Retired 2006 525i

After chewing everone's brain out on this forum regarding which tire was best for a 535i sport, I fell in for the advice by the guy at Tire Rack. I bought my self Pirelli Nerozero whatever just to save a few dollars. Penny wise, pound foolish.

I've been cursing myself ever since then. They are so bad that the little old Suzuki I had in med residency, handled better. I wish I could have the Run Flats re-installed again. My wife is mad at me as well and has told me to stick with these tires till next year.

This is what happens when you don't listen to the guys on E60.net
Old 03-28-2008, 06:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by juventus' post='552232' date='Mar 28 2008, 07:02 AM
After chewing everone's brain out on this forum regarding which tire was best for a 535i sport, I fell in for the advice by the guy at Tire Rack. I bought my self Pirelli Nerozero whatever just to save a few dollars. Penny wise, pound foolish.

I've been cursing myself ever since then. They are so bad that the little old Suzuki I had in med residency, handled better. I wish I could have the Run Flats re-installed again. My wife is mad at me as well and has told me to stick with these tires till next year.

This is what happens when you don't listen to the guys on E60.net
Are you sure it's not a mounting or alignment issue? The PZero Nero is supposed to be a pretty good tire. It's highly rated on Tire Rack as you say (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP). Pirelli tires are typically pretty good - they are OEM on Porsche, Ferrari and others.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

While I agree that you should always do what the guys on E60.net say, I'd love to know more specifics on why you don't like the Pirellis...
Old 03-28-2008, 06:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

Ive used them on two high powered german sedans and never had a problem. Afterall, it is the st and not the track, so how much tire do people really need?
Old 03-28-2008, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

I've had no problems with the P Zero Nero's. The ride is more quiet, slightly softer, and handled fine in cold weather conditions - even snow and ice.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Retired 2008 535i Titanium-silver with sport, premium, steptronic, NAV, HUD Retired 2006 525i

The car handles like crap in crosswinds whereas with the RFT's it was rock solid. On certain road surfaces it does not grip as well as it should. This was never the case with the RFT's.

I don't think it needs reallignment since the steering wheel seems centered ok.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

Are you sure it's not a mounting or alignment issue? The PZero Nero is supposed to be a pretty good tire. It's highly rated on Tire Rack as you say (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP). Pirelli tires are typically pretty good - they are OEM on Porsche, Ferrari and others.

co-sign
Old 03-28-2008, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

IMHO...if it's not a Michelin...you are not getting the best ride in your car. I've tried Bridgestone, Continental, Pirelli, Dunlop, Toyo and NONE even come close the ride/noise of the Michelin. If I were rich, I would immediately remove these piece of shxx Dunlop RFTs and put Michelins on. It really pisses me off that I have to put up such a crappy tire on a $60K car for another 20K miles or so. Why BMW put on these tires on this car is beyond me. I feel better now...
Old 03-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by juventus' post='552255' date='Mar 28 2008, 02:55 PM
The car handles like crap in crosswinds whereas with the RFT's it was rock solid. On certain road surfaces it does not grip as well as it should. This was never the case with the RFT's.

I don't think it needs reallignment since the steering wheel seems centered ok.

I have just gone for the M6 wheels and the falken 452's - what a mistake.

As above - my thoughts exactly, the run flats on the smaller 18" wheels way out perform these 'performance' tyres. I will not go cheap again. I remember last week when I went into a corner thinking I'd improved the handling and went straight on
Old 03-28-2008, 08:25 AM
Contributors

I always have to give a shout out for the General Exclaims if you are looking for a great tire at a reasonable price.

I do not hear many complaints here, and we all pay $550-600 (total) for four 19" tires. They handle well and they are pretty quiet.

I would go with the PS2s first (and I am not even sure that the PS2 are better as no one has ever reported an experience with both), but the Generals are always a great option as a second choice (despite the low cost).

Some tires also do well in certain sizes but not in other sizes. We all tend to consider the overall reputation rather than pay attention to the fact that the guy recommending the tire had a great experience with a 14" tire on his Toyota Corolla.

These Generals are proven on the 5-Series at the larger sizes.

Quick Reply: Don't make the mistake I made