E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

DONE-top of windshield gasket....30 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 09:47 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i w/M-Tech, Sport and Cold Weather Pkg
Default DONE-top of windshield gasket....30 minutes

Well I gotta say this was not at as hard as I thought it would be. Again, same brittle rubbery nasty gasket with probably 100+ cracks in it.

Used this YouTube video as a reference even though it was for a 330i

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=DIqPyrki-Pg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DDIqPyrki-Pg
Start from the roof pushing towards the front of the car with a plastic seal remover. Most of this will crack off and fall down the windshield. Clean up the residual but do to good of a job as there is much more to come off

Now, use the same plastic tool and push from the top of the windshield towards the back of the car. This will dislodge the "C" part of the Los seal that sits around te end of the windshield. This will be bad but imagine the windshield from the side as "=" the "C" literally fits around the top of the glass like this C=

Ok, enough stupid graphics....now clean very well. I used goo gone, soapy water and did this several times

Once clean make sure everything is dry. I used a surplus hair dryer on "no heat" for a couple minutes just to be sure.

Now simply slide the new seal in at the corners per the video. You will feel it push in. Please note my e60 gasket did not have the little white tab that his on the video had so I started it just a bit on the drivers side after the seal was positioned. Now working towards the middle simply push the "C" part onto the top of the windshield until the gasket is flush and then slowly remove the sticky tape cover. You are now done. Total time for me was barely 30 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails DONE-top of windshield gasket....30 minutes-image.jpg