E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: DOES YOUR CLIMATE CONTROL ALWAYS COME ON
YES
75.68%
NO
24.32%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

DOES YOUR CLIMATE CONTROL ALWAYS COME ON, EVEN WHEN YOU TURN IT OFF BE

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 06:02 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

How can there be 12 people whos system doesnt come on every time, is it supposed to come on or not?
Old 05-04-2006, 06:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='277971' date='May 4 2006, 07:02 AM
How can there be 12 people whos system doesnt come on every time, is it supposed to come on or not?
I've always wonder that. But there was never a concrete answer. Do the 12 people have auto ac? Europe has standard, manual AC...

Note: no i did not scroll up to check if they have Auto AC or not. I'm just replying...
Old 05-04-2006, 06:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

Originally Posted by markt540i' post='277823' date='May 4 2006, 06:33 AM
I have no complaints with the A/C coming on. leaving it in auto regulates the temp perfectly. I do, however, sometimes turn it off or down if I get in the car when it is hot and get on the phone and the A/C is blowing full speed trying to cool the car...so I turn it down so people can hear me better.
same here
Old 05-04-2006, 08:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Ok - I'm the 13th person...

I do not use Auto. The trick to disabling auto mode, at least in my experience, is to manually adjust the fan speed. This will disengage the auto climate unit. I leave the fan in the lowest speed setting, and the auto and AC do not ever come on by themselves. With the Auto light on, spin the fan speed knob and see if the auto light goes off - it should. Leave it that way, and the next time you start the car it shouldn't come on.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='278025' date='May 4 2006, 12:45 PM
Ok - I'm the 13th person...
I do not use Auto. The trick to disabling auto mode, at least in my experience, is to manually adjust the fan speed. This will disengage the auto climate unit. I leave the fan in the lowest speed setting, and the auto and AC do not ever come on by themselves. With the Auto light on, spin the fan speed knob and see if the auto light goes off - it should. Leave it that way, and the next time you start the car it shouldn't come on.

This isnt particularly what im complaining about, before shutting down engine, I completly shut off climate control by hitting the off button, when I re-satart the car, the climate control fan comes on by itself.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='278033' date='May 4 2006, 12:07 PM
This isnt particularly what im complaining about, before shutting down engine, I completly shut off climate control by hitting the off button, when I re-satart the car, the climate control fan comes on by itself.
That my friend, is the nature of the design. Have we been so satisfied with this car that we are now complaining about the A/C feature? Come on guys . . . that's the luxury side of BMW.

If we turned the AC off (the A/C with the soul purpose of enhancing our interior climate) and when we turn the engine back on but the A/C doesn't come back on, somebody will complain that "I bought a luxury car but the A/C is not intuitive to come on when I start the car."

There was a sequence that you can do to keep the AC off and remain off after you turn the engine back on. I think it was:

1. Turn the Auto button off
2. Turn the Snow button off.
3. Press the OFF button.

The next time you start the car, the AC stays off. If that doesn't work, reverse 1 and 2 or press them both at the same time. It worked once in my car, but I have not repeated the procedure since I DO want my AC to come on when I start the engine.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='278445' date='May 5 2006, 11:06 AM
That my friend, is the nature of the design. Have we been so satisfied with this car that we are now complaining about the A/C feature? Come on guys . . . that's the luxury side of BMW.

If we turned the AC off (the A/C with the soul purpose of enhancing our interior climate) and when we turn the engine back on but the A/C doesn't come back on, somebody will complain that "I bought a luxury car but the A/C is not intuitive to come on when I start the car."
I've owned a couple of luxury cars and none of them ever did this. I don't find this a luxury, but a bug in the software. If you turn the AC off, it should stay off even after returning back to your car.

The steps you provided worked for a while, but was on again after a few hours coming back to my car.

I've given up. Not the worst thing, but annoying.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='278033' date='May 4 2006, 06:07 PM
I'm in the UK and have the standard climate control.

If I turn it OFF it stays off when I re-start. (I was no 15)

If I turn the fan speed or distribution dials AUTO function turns off and stays OFF when I re-start.

Likewise the AC button.

Clearly this is not the same on all cars.

I actually get a little annoyed by the flimsy nature of the dials.

I find it's really easy for one of them to get knocked and for AUTO to switch off. I then only notice when I get a bit hot or cold.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:43 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

Im also in the UK with the standard auto A/C. The system is nowhere near as good as that in the M-B E-Class the only thing I really miss about that car. The M-B unit did what you wanted, I have found that sometimes if I alter the tempreture in auto, the aircon switches off particularly if I put the re-circulation button on to cool the car down quicker. Its also not as good at cooling the car down quickly as the M-B unit.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 525DSE Auto Olivin

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='278522' date='May 5 2006, 09:07 PM
I'm in the UK and have the standard climate control.

If I turn it OFF it stays off when I re-start. (I was no 15)

If I turn the fan speed or distribution dials AUTO function turns off and stays OFF when I re-start.

Likewise the AC button.

Clearly this is not the same on all cars.

I actually get a little annoyed by the flimsy nature of the dials.

I find it's really easy for one of them to get knocked and for AUTO to switch off. I then only notice when I get a bit hot or cold.
Exactly the same for me in the UK. Having said that I hate the air con going off more than coming on as I want to keep the system fresh.

My biggest grip is that when it first comes on when the weather is warm like today (23 celcius), the system pumps out air that is hotter and more humid than that already in the car and I don't want a sauna . It is however fine after the first minute. Anyone else experience this?

Quick Reply: DOES YOUR CLIMATE CONTROL ALWAYS COME ON, EVEN WHEN YOU TURN IT OFF BE