E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Does this quote sound right for 550i major repairs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 08:33 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i
Default Does this quote sound right for 550i major repairs?

Purchased a 2007 550i from a friend who disclosed that the car isn't running properly. It has 119k. The car is clean and is the original owner. However, I didn't think it needed this much work. The car ran rough with misfiring codes, so I brought it to a reputable BMW Indie Shop.

Diagnosis
-Spark Plugs
-PCV valves
-Oil leaks at upper timing belt cover and valve covers
-Thermostat
- Coolant leak @ Valley Cover / hose to cylinder head??
- Squealing noise - 2 belts and a tensioner
- New tranny pan

Quoted $4,150.00 to get it all fixed up

I honestly don't know if this is priced right or if I should find a garage bmw Guru or even another shop? Definitely above my budget.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:50 AM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

I'd get another couple of quotes. Just because it's a indy shop doesn't mean that it's reputable.

On another note, did your friend maintain his vehicle? Does he have the maintenance records? If he let things go, it's possible that the quote is not far off.

Last edited by JayArras; 11-01-2016 at 03:52 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:01 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006

Did you get an itemization of the repair costs?

All those are not too hard nor expensive *except* maybe the coolant leak. There is a coolant pipe that runs from front to back of the engine under the cylinder head. There are some aftermarket solutions that make that repair cost less, but it is still a big job.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:12 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 E60 530i 6 Speed Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

sounds reasonable, those are some big jobs, and labor intensive
Old 11-02-2016, 06:46 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

I have no idea what options are on your 550i, or what kind of condition it is in.

NADA high retail for a base 550i is 10550.00. You're basically talking about potentially putting half of the cars value in repairs.

Diagnosis
-Spark Plugs - why, is it misfiring?
-PCV valves - why? are you consuming/losing oil
-Oil leaks at upper timing belt cover and valve covers why, leaking? how badly are they leaking?
-Thermostat leaking? overheating?
- Coolant leak @ Valley Cover / hose to cylinder head?? coolant leaks are bad, you want to do this ASAP if it is in fact
- Squealing noise - 2 belts and a tensioner if worn, yes
- New tranny pan - leaking? seeping?

I'd definitely get a second opinion and do things in order of severity/urgency. sounds like you may be getting a bit of a 'shotgun blast' approach.

good luck.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

Sounds like his "friend" unloaded a non maintained car onto him.

At that milage you should have or be in the process of basically doing an entire cooling system refresh, including water pump, belts, pulleys, expansion tank, thermostat and rubber hoses. The valley coolant pan, valve stem seals and various engine gaskets are all known issues.

The sparkplugs might just be originals and have served well past their iintended time.

The tyranny might be leaking for any number of reasons.

End of the day, hopefully he got the car for a few hundred dollars or can DIY, I say he'll probably be spending close to the NADA value of the car in repairs before everything is back to normal. That'snot including a suspension refresh either.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:01 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by ETNav382
I say he'll probably be spending close to the NADA value of the car in repairs before everything is back to normal. That'snot including a suspension refresh either.
this.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:17 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535xi Sport
Model Year: 2008

The shop is probably quoting you full labor times for all jobs. If you do the upper timing case cover gaskets, it should eliminate labor for pcv and spark plug labor should be cut in half. Id prioritize. coolant issues, trans pan, and misfires are definitely most important.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:03 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ETNav382
Sounds like his "friend" unloaded a non maintained car onto him.

At that milage you should have or be in the process of basically doing an entire cooling system refresh, including water pump, belts, pulleys, expansion tank, thermostat and rubber hoses. The valley coolant pan, valve stem seals and various engine gaskets are all known issues.

The sparkplugs might just be originals and have served well past their iintended time.

The tyranny might be leaking for any number of reasons.

End of the day, hopefully he got the car for a few hundred dollars or can DIY, I say he'll probably be spending close to the NADA value of the car in repairs before everything is back to normal. That'snot including a suspension refresh either.
^^^This right here..
Another case of someone buying a BMW for cheap and thinking it'll be easy/cheap to fix These cars are terrible post 100K miles. You really have to love them to pour the money into them to keep them running.
I honestly think there could be even more issues that haven't presented themselves yet at this mileage like the need for a new alternator due to oil leaking from the stupid bracket gasket into the alternator: $1100-1500 as the engine has to be lifted. I'd dump that car if I were the OP. Sell it to a BMW mechanic as they seem to love these cars (in my area, at least).
Old 11-06-2016, 03:18 PM
New Members

My Ride: M5 SMG
Model Year: 2006

The biggest cost is probably the coolant leak. A really good and much cheaper way to fix the valley pan coolant leak is to use bimmerfix.com. Its a stent that goes through behind the water pump. It is a better fix than replacing the coolant pipe. The beest part is it costs less than $200, and any easy fix.

The other big cost could be the oil leaks. My old indy in CT did all of my gaskets for $1600. My 545 is running like a champ at just over 120,000 miles.