E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Does engine breaking cause damage

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 03:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guys i have a auto steptronic 550i and i use the step and downshift to use engine breaking, but i am curious, will this wear the engine out or cause any damage in the future?
Old 06-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Senior Members

anyone?
Old 06-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Contributors

Talking

Originally Posted by aresh' post='610934' date='Jun 26 2008, 09:10 PM
Does engine breaking cause damage
An engine breaking is most certainly going to cause some damage to your BMW.

You might want to change that to "braking" instead ...

You may have a lack of responses because doing this hasn't hurt someone's engine or transmission. I used to do this all the time with my 02 530i and it was fine. HOWEVER, I never ate the whole "lifetime fluids" thing for the car's automatic transmission. I replaced mine at 70,000 miles because I felt that I was paying around $200 to insure me against a potential $3,000 or more bill if the transmission failed due to degrading lubrication.

I don't mean to open a can of worms. I'm new to the E60 world having just purchased my 06 530i, but 'everyone' talks about their transmissions in the E39 forums. I don't know if they were upgraded later and maybe not as problematic, but no one seems to talk about the issue here. I take that as a good sign!

I hope someone else with a lot more E60 experience can chime in, but that's my feedback.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 Chevy 3500 DRW: 7" lift, 35" tires, PPE stage 7, MBRP turbo-back, back-up camera, trac bars, Bilsteins. Pine air freshener.

Using your trans to slow down your car WILL cause accelerated wear on it's components. How much more quickly they wear out is anybody's guess. I remember my father telling me when I got my license 25 years ago, "Brakes are cheaper to replace than clutches and transmissions". He was right...they are.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by fastkevin' post='610942' date='Jun 26 2008, 09:35 PM
"Brakes are cheaper to replace than clutches and transmissions." He was right ... they are.

Truer words were never spoken.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Senior Members

alright thanks guys i wanted to confirm this also. No more engine breaking for me
Old 06-26-2008, 06:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

Yes, please stop doing it. Its an auto, let it do the work. Brakes are cheap and with BMW, their upkeep is free too.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 Porsche 911 c2s, 01 BMW 740il, 05 BMW 525i, 06 Acura TSX navi

Originally Posted by fastkevin' post='610942' date='Jun 26 2008, 09:35 PM
Using your trans to slow down your car WILL cause accelerated wear on it's components. How much more quickly they wear out is anybody's guess. I remember my father telling me when I got my license 25 years ago, "Brakes are cheaper to replace than clutches and transmissions". He was right...they are.

words of wisdom.
thanks for reassurance.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:26 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

I don't know about automatic transmissions, but I do and will use engine braking with my manual. I don't believe it would cause so much stress into drivetrain that it would be destructive for transmission. Engine braking done right can save lots of fuel. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Engine braking is a natural and approved way to aid in deceleration, especially on long, steep decents. When properly done (ie - you're not trying to go from 5th to 1st gear), any additional wear is negligeable on a well-tuned engine as engine RPM's will remain within operational range. As previously stated, additional wear on manual transmission driveline components may be realized with some drivers. On automatics, this should be minimized if done appropriately. However, because of increased exhaust sound, especially with aftermarket systems, some cities have banned engine braking (mainly for big rigs/diesels, but applicable to passenger cars as well should an officer in such a jurisdiction choose not to make the distinction). Starting your car is one of the worst things you can do to an engine, as the engine is below it's operational temperature, minimal lubrication is available until oil pressure builds, and the like at the time of most start-ups. So, the best way to preserve your engine is by not starting it

Quick Reply: Does engine breaking cause damage