E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Does BMW design certain parts to fail on purpose?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 11:01 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530ix
Model Year: 2020

you must remember a few things--ALOT of German/European cars have issues with plastic and rubber parts because they use a higher level of recycled rubber/plastic in their cars. Makes the dang things greener but bad for their longevity. (Thus why we need bushings and engine mounts more often than other vehicles like my 70s Toyota)

On the other parts, they are normal wear and tear--all AC units give out around 100K miles.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:59 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

Its an interesting question.
I have worked with Toyota/ engineers designers for years and have a close relationship with some bosses at Hyundai.

It is amazing how a little part can save a company millions of dollars.
A few years ago Hyundai redesigned its front engine carriage on one model.
They reduced it by three bolts
That small changed saved them aproximatly 3 million dollars a year I was told.

I also spoke about the OPs question with Toyota and Lexus designers and engineers a few years ago.

They told me that they don't make cars and parts to break down but there is a life to any part.
For example.

They told me that Toyota may make a door seal that is good quality, but they want to keep the price down so they sacrifice the rubber thickness to save money which reduces the rubber life
but when lexus makes a car and the cost of the part is not as important as quality the part is much thicker giving it a longer life.

Just these little seemily simple changes saves the car makers millions and millions of dollars

Like any business they have to save where they can.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:48 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i

"Constantly failing parts"

If you replace an OEM part with crap aftermarket, don't expect the same quality and yes, you will change the part over and over.
If you have a hidden problem with your car, same thing, you will change part over and over.

Yes, Plastic in radiator fails, radiator neck do brake, but you will change the radiator once in the life of he car as long as the rest of the cooling system is good and you buy quality parts.
Same goes with WP, thermostat...
I think that my E60 is as reliable as any other BMW I drove and more reliable that any other brand of cars I drove.