E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Does BMW design certain parts to fail on purpose?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, metal is cheaper on low volumes (because doesn't require huge capital expenditure )but when you making millions of the same part(s) plastic is many times cheaper.
I remember talking to my boss about Nissan cars (he used to work there) and was telling me they reduced the paint thickness for 1-2 microns to save ?3 per vehicle. I know sounds crazy but multiply that by their production figures and can understand why

Generally speaking i think manufacturers understood the huge cock up they made on the 70-80s by making life lasting products

Everything on your list i would consider lucky to be my only failures. The only thing to worry about would be no 6. Fortunately i have a manual so i don't care
Old 09-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1021191' date='Sep 30 2009, 10:46 AM
Hit the customers with newer and *better* cars than what they already have and they will gladly give up their perfectly good car for the newer one. I see this on this very forum. Many of our members have moved from pre-LCI models to LCI models just to get the "improvements" even though their pre-LCI cars were still in great shape.
I agree people also upgrade for the newest technology. But on that front, couldn't it also be said that automakers specifically hold back technology just so they can add it when they refresh models (or as BMW does, LCI)? The following example I noticed quite some time ago that really irritated me: From the LCI e39 to the e60, why did the Celis LED taillight bars disappear, only to reappear on the LCI e60? And the same goes for the LCI e46 couple and convertible to the e9x... why did the LED taillights disappear? Everyone knows that LEDs are better than halogen becuase they don't burn out, are brighter, and light up much quicker. Did BMW purposely leave them out when the 5s and 3s were redesigned just so they could further distance the LCI (making reasons for pre-LCI owners want to upgrade)?

I love BMWs and will love them till the day I die but there are things such as these that I can't ignore.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:18 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to add to all this, why does BMW or German manufacturers in general use parts that fail a lot faster than their Japanese counterparts. I don't want to buy a Japanese car or plan to but you have to commend them for their reliability.
Parts like window regulators, alternators, waterpumps are all non issue items on Japanese cars. It's a shame that they can't do a better job on these constantly failing parts.
Raj
Old 09-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by acorradi87' post='1021154' date='Sep 30 2009, 10:20 AM
Funny you say that. My grandmother's Kirby vacuum is from 1962 and works better than the one I bought 2 weeks ago.
it funny you mention kirby those things are like a 1000 dollars it better last forever! haha
Old 09-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Contributors

In a nutshell, your topic is in regards to planned obsolescence. It's amazing what I still remember from high school, the first in my family to go to a public one at that. lol..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence
Old 09-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint

Originally Posted by 968turboS' post='1021233' date='Sep 30 2009, 11:18 AM
Just to add to all this, why does BMW or German manufacturers in general use parts that fail a lot faster than their Japanese counterparts. I don't want to buy a Japanese car or plan to but you have to commend them for their reliability.
Parts like window regulators, alternators, waterpumps are all non issue items on Japanese cars. It's a shame that they can't do a better job on these constantly failing parts.
Raj
but are you saying then that the japanese counter part uses metal? if not how is theyre plastic better: im confused?
Old 09-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Added to the list would have to be large plastic body panels (my X5 has huge plastic panels up front that even form the fenders) it all makes for less expensive production and reduced weight, but at what cost?
Old 09-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='1021254' date='Sep 30 2009, 11:30 AM
Added to the list would have to be large plastic body panels (my X5 has huge plastic panels up front that even form the fenders) it all makes for less expensive production and reduced weight, but at what cost?
thats confusing as well puck, if theyre saving money how come everything is getting more expensive? they are deff not passing the savings on to us the consumer..
Old 09-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by thedreamshop' post='1021122' date='Sep 30 2009, 12:00 PM
Is it just me, or are there certain parts on all BMWs that are designed to fail? Here is my theory... the factory only makes money on parts. There was probably a board meeting at BMW a long time ago where some young executive came up with this idea in order to get a promotion: He decided that the car manufacturers trying to make their money on the sale of the car were short sighted chumps, and that the real money is in part sales down the road. So the scheme is to make an exciting, appealing, high performance car and sell it cheap ( relatively speaking ) with full intentions on making all the profit on the parts sales. In fact I am sure some market research has been done to decide what parts to design to fail based on criteria that maintains the brand name and brand appeal. For example, if your driver's door fell off at 61K miles, just outside of warranty you would just sell the piece of junk and buy an Audi or Lexus. But if your water pump, window regulator, and alternator all failed at the same time you would likely say to yourself well I guess its about time to do some maintenance and go ahead and have the repairs done.

In order to prove me wrong I need a good explanation of why our window regulators have plastic guides ( which fail every 40-70K miles ) instead of metal guides which would last the life of the car. Or how about our water pumps, please explain why plastic impeller blades were used ( I know some have been re-designed with metal blades ) and don't tell me the plastic saves weight or lowers the cost of the part.

Lets make a list
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
  3. [*]
  4. [*]
  5. [*]
  6. [*]
  7. [*]
  8. [*]

What items would you add to this list? What is the expected failure rate or milage of these parts. Pictures of the failed part would be cool to see also?
It ain't only BMW:

1. Ever notice that all manufacts make headlights that fade over x number of years. Replacements are several hundred $$.
2. One manufact provided alternators with the diode soldered to the bearing. They did cure the problem--after about 18 years. True.
3. All manufacts have having problems with window regulators. Retail repair cost is about $600. Many of the regulators fail because the plastic parts crack.
4. Radiators and expansion tanks are plastic on all cars. Excessive heat causes failure.
5. Water pumps could be improved by having them made with heavier bearings. e.g., police car water pumps do not fail as often because of their heavy duty bearings.
6. Many moons ago one manufact filled a/c compressors with 15 oz of oil. A later version (totally revised) came with 3 oz of oil. Ask me if the new ones failed at a higher rate!!
7. And on and on.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by 968turboS' post='1021233' date='Sep 30 2009, 02:18 PM
Raj
This is a misconception. Everybody always says that they are more reliable just because they keep hearing it over and over. if you do your research, you would find this: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=38088
or this: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=33974
or this: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...&pid=360722
or this: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=10189

Does any of this sound familiar?

Quick Reply: Does BMW design certain parts to fail on purpose?