E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Does anyone have this issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my car since almost a year and i noticed this issue a while ago. When i'm crusing "coasting" on highway, doesn't matter what speed, and when i go from gas and press it again, i feel kinda bit of gap in my drivetrain. I took my car two times to the shop, but both times they said it is normal. Last time i took it to service, i took a ride with shop manager and even he noticed it, but after checking it, he said that my car is in brand new condition. Does anybody have the same thing, and is it really normal???

Thank you guys
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone have this issue-550i.jpg  
Old 07-20-2010, 11:45 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Are you talking about a poor throttle response? If you typically go easy on the throttle, over time it will learn this driving style and become less aggressive / responsive. For example I do a lot of inner city driving with mine, so it needs a reset from time to time.

resetting the throttle:
- Engine off
- Press start button (once or twice) without pressing the brake, so that all electrics are on but not the engine
- Press the throttle to the boards, past the kick-down point
- Hold it there for 10 seconds (I count to 15 to be on the safe side!)
- Done.
It will now be reset and more sensitive / responsive.

You could also reset the automatic transmission, which does the throttle at the same time. Its the same steps as above, but you hold the throttle down for 25 seconds.

If that does not work or its something else, maybe you can provide more details about the problem / driving experience?
Old 07-21-2010, 02:00 AM
Members

I did reset the tranny but that isn't it. It just feels like slam or kick till it catches up after I go from and step right back on gas pedal.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:29 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I don't have this problem on my 2008 car but if I understand what you're saying, I seem to remember having a similar issue on one of my E39s with a 6MT. I think the problem ended up being in the rear end somewhere...
Old 07-21-2010, 05:00 AM
Members

It feels like the driveshafts are a bit loose or have gap...
Old 07-21-2010, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by nermin
It feels like the driveshafts are a bit loose or have gap...
That's pretty much how I'd describe the issue I had on my E39. Again, I recall the problem being with the rear end...
Old 07-21-2010, 06:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Are you able to reproduce the issue in all modes, D, DS, Sport button on/off, and manual shifting? If only in some of the modes, particularly D or DS, then it might just be slow to react to downshift.

Another thought might be that there is a fuel cut-off when coasting, could it be fuel delivery delay issue when getting back on the throttle?

One last thing to think about is when was the last time your car software was updated... there was an April 09 update to resolve "driveability complaints" which most frequently were noticed when attempting to accelerate after slowing to a near-stop, but may be related. The reprogramming updated the downshift behaviour and eliminated the problem for me...
Old 07-21-2010, 07:15 AM
Members

My software is two months old and it happens in all mods... Sport, manual and D. It feels more mechanical then anything else. Everything else is just fine... Engine is smooth, tranny is quick... So don't know :/
Old 07-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

1) Nice color =)

2) I think this issue could be due to many things... I wonder if a SprintBooster would help?
Old 07-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Members

I'm gonna take it to the shop one more time and if they say all good again... I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of it. Best car I ever had!!!!

Quick Reply: Does anyone have this issue