E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Does any know how to compress rubber grommets valve cover gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 11:51 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007
Default Does any know how to compress rubber grommets valve cover gasket?

I am doing a valve cover gasket job on a 550i. I am stuck trying to put it back on the rubber grommets just won't compress enough to start the tread of the bolt. Any advice or suggestion would be greatly appreciated? I know many of you have done this job.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:57 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2010

Check to make sure you're putting the bolts back in the right holes - some are longer than others. I can't remember if the ones with the dimples go on the top or bottom. Take a look at the other cover to confirm. Once the bolts are in the right spot, start the ones that can catch the thread and then you'll be able to get the rest.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:07 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by cakes
Check to make sure you're putting the bolts back in the right holes - some are longer than others. I can't remember if the ones with the dimples go on the top or bottom. Take a look at the other cover to confirm. Once the bolts are in the right spot, start the ones that can catch the thread and then you'll be able to get the rest.

Thanks for pointing that out. The longer bolts actual go on top but I used them to get the bottom going, once I had it going the others clicked into place then I put the top bolts back.

Again, appreciate it, if you hadn't point that out I probably would still be stuck.