E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Do you use voice commands?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

I have the Logic 7 Premium sound package without NAV. Voice command works fine with the phone, and I obviously won't have the NAV directions capability, but I also don't seem to have the note/memo capability either.

There is a lengthy list of voice commands that the system is supposed to be able to recognize, but it seems that the phone commands for calling and managing the phonebook are the only ones I have. Is there a way to determine the "version" of voice command I have and is this is something that can be augmented with a software upgrade?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use it to switch back and forth between a cd ("CD") and satellite radio ("Satellite"). And that's it.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Senior Members

i use it for NAV and that's all really. it's extremely easy to say an address rather than punch it in, but punching in CD numbers is a lot easier than speaking them i find.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tuffluck
i use it for NAV and that's all really. it's extremely easy to say an address rather than punch it in, but punching in CD numbers is a lot easier than speaking them i find.
Sorry for the thread jack...but is it possible to just say "find costco" or something to that effect and have it pull back the nearest costco?
Old 10-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

I use it all the time to make calls from the contact list on my phone book - also to dial a number by saying the digits.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:12 AM
Senior Members

No. Using voice commands feels to me like riding a Segway. Or being Michael Hasselhoff in a black Pontiac. It just feel funny to me to talk to your car.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

I rarely use mine, but maybe i'll start using it more often
Old 10-06-2010, 06:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ryan60isu
Sorry for the thread jack...but is it possible to just say "find costco" or something to that effect and have it pull back the nearest costco?
no i do not think so. unfortunately you need to give it the command in city, state, address, street number. i have the 2010 nav disc, so luckily it skips the city part. for me, since i live in dallas, it calls the entire texas region northeast texas, which is convenient since most of my addresses i search for are in dallas. so usually i just say the address and then the house/street number.

however you can add many different types of locations on your map. for instance i have all red light cameras on my NAV, so when i go through an intersection i will see a picture of a camera if there is a camera there. you can do the same for bars, restaurants, malls, etc. so you can find a costco that way i'm sure
Old 10-06-2010, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by ryan60isu
That's okay, but to get back to the real issue I have, does anyone know how to activate the more advanced capabilities of the voice command system or the technical reason why I might be limited to just using it for dialing and phonebook administration? Is voice command a part of the radio, bluetooth or car's computer system?

These are the commands the car is supposed to be capable of understanding: https://5series.net/information/E60_Voice_Commands.pdf
Old 10-06-2010, 07:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I use voice commands all the time.....then I get into my car!!

Quick Reply: Do you use voice commands?