E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Do you smell that?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is very strange... and I hope some of you get a laugh out of it (I don't find it funny )

The past few days have been extremely hot around here and I've had four seperate people get into my 545 and notice the same smell. They all said they smelled pickels and we narrowed the smell to the back seats. I've completely torn the car apart looking for anything that might be causing this (I never eat or let anyone eat in my car). They only thing I can think of is that maybe the battery under the backseat is leaking or something and is causing a sweet odor that some people liken to pickels???

Anyone had the same problem? I miss my clean BMW leather smell and it's really embarrasing to have people get in your car and tell you it smells bad.

Help?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

A leaking battery smells more like sulfur, not like pickles. You sure there aren't any pickles in the back seat?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

You've also eliminated the musky odor that comes from the A/C unit as well? This is mildew in the vents and it reeks if you turn the A/C off while driving the car. That's why I almost always run with the A/C on except during short excursions on the highway where I need all the horses.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='446521' date='Jul 11 2007, 11:24 PM
You've also eliminated the musky odor that comes from the A/C unit as well? This is mildew in the vents and it reeks if you turn the A/C off while driving the car. That's why I almost always run with the A/C on except during short excursions on the highway where I need all the horses.
The unfortunate thing is that for some reason I can't smell it. Although I do notice that the clean leather smell that I enjoyed for so long is gone. But I had two seperate people confirm tonight that they did not smell anything out of the A/C or near the front seats for that matter.

It was a funny sight. I had people all around my car sniffing different spots. This is driving me insane!
Old 07-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='446515' date='Jul 11 2007, 11:11 PM
A leaking battery smells more like sulfur, not like pickles. You sure there aren't any pickles in the back seat?
I'm pretty sure. The only thing I can think of is I had a friend in the car on Saturday and she asked me to stop in so she could grab some McDonalds (she was having some female issues that required the most unhealthy food possible). She was sitting in the front passenger seat holding the bag and didn't eat anything for the 3 minutes that food was in my car. Maybe the person working the drive through window lofted a few pickle chips in my open moonroof as I was driving away???

I've looked everywhere and the funny factor is wearing off.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

did you check the trunk too? (serious question)
Old 07-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Senior Members

You might have a small animal that has crawled up in some nook in your car and died. And is now rotting away. I have heard of it happening a number of times. Not sure if it would smell like pickles though.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:13 AM
Members

Yes, I have checked the trunk. I've taken everything that isn't bolted to the car out in a futile attempt to identify the source.

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='446600' date='Jul 12 2007, 01:46 AM
You might have a small animal that has crawled up in some nook in your car and died. And is now rotting away. I have heard of it happening a number of times. Not sure if it would smell like pickles though.
I was thinking the same thing. I think I'm going to get my car up on a lift and check the rear wheel well, but the thing is that you can't really smell anything from the outside.

Thank you everyone for all your help and ideas.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='446600' date='Jul 12 2007, 01:46 AM
I've experienced that smell before.

If pickles smelled like that, I'd suspect their popularity would wane significantly.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

One more idea:

Take a look in the tracks that the front seat moves on. There are several small spaces where a stray gherkin might hide.

In addition, I think there are rear seat vents under the seats, which may be enticing the rear seat occupants with "that new pickle smell."

Quick Reply: Do you smell that?