E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Do you know what this problem is?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 04:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i, platinum gray with cream beige dakota leather, premium, sport, comfort access, navigation, heated seats, sport auto with paddles, premium sound, sat radio, ipod

I have a new 08 535 with sport and sport transmission. Currently have 7500 miles. Recently, my car has started to produce a strange ?clunk? sound. Can anyone figure this one out? Here?s what?s going on:

When I am slowing to a stop, the car produces a singular ?clunk? or ?pop? sound when the car slows to about 5 mph or less and always before the car stops completely.

The sound appears to be coming from the drivers front wheel area or left front of car, and is audible inside the cabin, and can be felt through the brake pedal. Will do this when slowing up hill, on flat, or down hill.

Sometimes it sounds like something under tension is letting go.

Another symptom that may be related is the loud ?pop? and shift in something I feel near the front driver?s side wheel when I leave my driveway. Imagine driving down a slope and then turning left at the bottom with the passenger front wheel on the flat road in front and the driver?s wheel still on the incline. When slowly pulling out of this situation, I will almost always hear a loud pop and feel something really shift near the driver?s side front wheel. Very disconcerting.

In general, front end feels fine on smooth level roads but I get the feeling in some driving situations that something is loose under there. It?s just not right.

Dealer hasn?t been able to duplicate any of above but I will take SA on test drive when acting up. They have checked all parts and report situation ?normal?.

Any ideas? THANKS!
Old 12-23-2008, 05:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Can't say that I've had this issue on my E60, but it sounds like a front thrust arm bushings problem I experienced with my E39. If so, I'd say that's very premature wear for a new car with only 7500 miles. Might want to mention that to your SA.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Members

My 05 545i has been making a light knock (one or two) at low speeds while turning since about 10K miles. It's felt through the steering wheel. Backing out of my driveway or starting from a parking place, again while turning, is now at 22K miles almost always doing it. Dealer couldn't duplicate it several times, but this last time, they decided to replace the lower steering column. (I think that's what they said) I'm awaiting their call to bring it in, once the part arrives.

We all expect precise steering in these cars. I'll let you know what happens, and good luck.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='751712' date='Dec 23 2008, 09:05 PM
Can't say that I've had this issue on my E60, but it sounds like a front thrust arm bushings problem I experienced with my E39. If so, I'd say that's very premature wear for a new car with only 7500 miles. Might want to mention that to your SA.
Very nice call, Frank. May not be the same but had my 740 diagnosed with the bad thrust arm bushing when it gave me the same "clunk" as the OP. Have 150K miles on it though. Good luck.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Sounds like loose/sliding pads within the brake caliper. Have your dealer check the front pads. May need new shims and/or total pad replacement.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:45 AM
Contributors

sounds more like wheel bushings are busted
Old 12-24-2008, 04:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, platinum gray with cream beige dakota leather, premium, sport, comfort access, navigation, heated seats, sport auto with paddles, premium sound, sat radio, ipod

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='751712' date='Dec 23 2008, 10:05 PM
Thank you everyone for reading my long post and for offering your ideas.

Frank, in which ways were your symptoms like mine that lead to a thrust arm bushing diagnosis? Does anyone have a diagram - like an OEM parts page - that can show what this is?

Thanks very much all and Happy BMWdays.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by wantmye90' post='751961' date='Dec 24 2008, 07:44 AM
Thank you everyone for reading my long post and for offering your ideas.

Frank, in which ways were your symptoms like mine that lead to a thrust arm bushing diagnosis? Does anyone have a diagram - like an OEM parts page - that can show what this is?

Thanks very much all and Happy BMWdays.
Symptoms were exactly as you initially described. It was fine during normal driving, except
when you're slowing down to ~5mph > stopping = clunking noise (pop and shift).

My hunch is that item #12 needs to be replaced, unless of course, item #15 is compromised,
which may lead to replacing item #11 as well. Best bet would be take the SA for a drive, and
let them look into the problem. I wouldn't categorize the symptom as "normal".

11 -- LEFT TENSION STRUT WITH RUBBER MOUNTING -- 1 -- 31126774825 -- $XX
11 -- RIGHT TENSION STRUT WITH RUBBER MOUNTING -- 1 -- 31126774826 -- $XX
12 -- SET RUBBER MOUNTING F PULL ROD -- 1 -- 31120305612 -- $82.58

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=31&fg=05

Good luck and happy holidays
Old 12-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

if you guys think this is part of the steering column or rack, i have the same problem! when i turn left there is a clunking or poping sound. i brought this to the dealer and they replaced the rack and told me it was a $3000.00 job???
but im having the same problem again!
going to dealership this coming monday for the same problem.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Dinan 545i

I had a similar issue.
Whenever I turned left or right a slower speeds, I heard a clunking sound from the drivers side that I actually felt through the pedals.
It got progressively worse over a 2 week period before I brought it to Stevens Creek BMW.

What they found is that my control arms were loose. They re-tightened the control arms and I've not had the problem since.
The cost was ~$180.00 to fix.

Quick Reply: Do you know what this problem is?