E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

do other SMG owners have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 12:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi everyone, not too long ago i bought a 2004 545i smg. when im changing gears between 1 and 2 its not so smooth, and rarely when im gasing while in first gear to 2nd gear the car doesnt go. anyone else share these problems?
Old 01-24-2007, 12:46 AM
Members

that's SMG for you

Dun worry, it's the same on my M5
Old 01-24-2007, 06:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by j0dan' post='382642' date='Jan 24 2007, 04:28 AM
hi everyone, not too long ago i bought a 2004 545i smg. when im changing gears between 1 and 2 its not so smooth, and rarely when im gasing while in first gear to 2nd gear the car doesnt go. anyone else share these problems?

Changing gears form 1st to 2nd can be as smooth as you want it to be. What I do is as I am shifting I slightly release my foot form the gas pedal, and this makes it very smooth. Just like you would do in a manual. It takes a little practice, but can be done. If you do a search you will find more info. As for your second problem, I never had that happen.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by j0dan' post='382642' date='Jan 24 2007, 04:28 AM
How long is "not too long ago"? It really takes time to learn to drive the SMG smoothly. Depending on your experience with driving manuals, you might find that it takes a month or more to become smooth (and even longer to become really, really smooth.)

I'm not too sure I understand what you're saying about "gasing while in first gear to 2nd gear the car doesnt go" -- can you be more specific?
Old 01-24-2007, 08:48 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='382727' date='Jan 24 2007, 09:26 AM
Changing gears form 1st to 2nd can be as smooth as you want it to be. What I do is as I am shifting I slightly release my foot form the gas pedal, and this makes it very smooth. Just like you would do in a manual. It takes a little practice, but can be done. If you do a search you will find more info. As for your second problem, I never had that happen.
Right you are. Mine is so smooth, and I do it subconsciously. I run with the paddles all the time. Shifting has been turned over to the reflexes, just like the stick was.

Speaking of reflexes, funny thing happened (well not so funny to my wife who was a passenger at the time) the other day that was strictly reflexes from almost three years ago. As I was slowing for a 90 degree turn, my subconscious wanted to down shift. Instead of using the paddles, my left foot reverted to a stick shift, but instead of finding a clutch, it found the left side of the wide brake pedal. I recovered quickly, but not before the passenger lurched.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

If you simply hold the accelerator pedal down while shifting, you will get a jerk when the clutch disengages after the shift.

This is the procedure for getting smooth SMG shifts:

1. Beginning from a stop, press accelerator pedal to start in 1st gear.

2. When you reach the speed where you wish to shift gears, lightly release your foot pressure off the accelerator pedal. Please note: Lightly release pressure. Don't lift your shoe off the pedal.... but rather lift your foot inside your shoe. I think of it as curling my toes upward inside my shoe.

3. Click the shifter or paddles to shift into 2nd gear.

4. Pause while the shift completes, and clutch disengages.

5. Accelerate in the next gear.

6. Repeat steps 2 - 5 through the rest of the gears.

This procedure takes some practice, but once you get it down.... you'll have silky smooth shifts all the time.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by eR6c' post='382647' date='Jan 24 2007, 04:46 AM
that's SMG for you

Dun worry, it's the same on my M5

It really is sad to see that even now, after years of the SMG being installed on these cars.... people STILL don't get it. :thumbsdown:
Old 01-24-2007, 10:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='382838' date='Jan 24 2007, 02:34 PM
It really is sad to see that even now, after years of the SMG being installed on these cars.... people STILL don't get it. :thumbsdown:

thxn everyone for their input. and i have done everything subterfuse has said already. it works great for gears 2-6 just from 1-2 the car will rock back and forth 3 time be exact. should i bring the car into the dealer to get a check up?

and the other problem i stated. where for example id be in a parking lot and you know how we go and stop.go and stop. after i stop and try to gas again the car doesnt move, forcing me to hit my emergency lights turn off engine, turn engine back on again then the car accelerates. other than that the car runs great but dangerous if your carrying ppl you care about =/
Old 01-24-2007, 10:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by j0dan' post='382864' date='Jan 24 2007, 02:22 PM
thxn everyone for their input. and i have done everything subterfuse has said already. it works great for gears 2-6 just from 1-2 the car will rock back and forth 3 time be exact. should i bring the car into the dealer to get a check up?

and the other problem i stated. where for example id be in a parking lot and you know how we go and stop.go and stop. after i stop and try to gas again the car doesnt move, forcing me to hit my emergency lights turn off engine, turn engine back on again then the car accelerates. other than that the car runs great but dangerous if your carrying ppl you care about =/
After reading this it sounds like its more than driving technique...You need to take the to the dealer.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i 6-Speed Manual, Jet Black, Sport Package, Navi, Premium Package, 15% Tint, B&B Exhaust, 20" Black Rims with Polish Lip

Originally Posted by j0dan' post='382864' date='Jan 24 2007, 11:22 AM

i think u should just take it to the dealer..

Quick Reply: do other SMG owners have this problem?