E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Do Comfort Seats really make RFTs more tolerable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 05:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

On various threads, I have seen some of you comment that having Comfort Seats can make the harshness of the RFT ride-quality somewhat more tolerable.

What I can't figure out is if those of you who commented on this were being ironic or not...

Is there any truth in this?
Old 01-31-2007, 05:10 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='385788' date='Jan 31 2007, 03:05 PM
On various threads, I have seen some of you comment that having Comfort Seats can make the harshness of the RFT ride-quality somewhat more tolerable.

What I can't figure out is if those of you who commented on this were being ironic or not...

Is there any truth in this?
I have comfort seats and I've never noticed a problem with RFTs. I think that issue is hyped.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:19 AM
Members

Comfort seats make everything more tolerable! I'm not convinced they make a huge amount of difference to the ride though.

caveat: I don't have a big problem with RFTs though either - they're a bit nastier over concrete surfaces and noisier than they should be, but I can drive home with a puncture without needing to stop - seems a fair trade.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:48 AM
Contributors

I have comfort seats and have run with the original RFTs and current non-RFT snow tires. Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between the comfort of the ride when I switched tires. All this rumble about ride quality with RFTs seems overblown to me. P.S. Comfort seats are definately worth the cost if you drive many miles.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by ipp' post='385790' date='Jan 31 2007, 02:10 PM
I have comfort seats and I've never noticed a problem with RFTs. I think that issue is hyped.
Trust me. It's not hyped...
Depends on a few things though (i) the quality of the road surface (ii) suspension choice (iii) Tyre Profile /Wheel size

I have an E90 with non-sports suspension, 17" wheels with Potenzas. I know this can't be compared to the E60... (maybe the E60 is better as the E90 is a very different style of car). The RFTs on my car are really bad on our roads. I'm not making it up.
My partner want to go in long drives in the car as it makes her feel sick; I don't notice it quite as much but I don't feel the car is planted and have to keep a firm grip the steering. I sometimes feel drained after driving on poor roads and hitting a ridge or pothole can be terrifying.

There is no hype. It's a very real problem but you will experience it to greater or less degrees depending on your car model, roads, tyre size (even brand) and suspension choice. As some point in the permutation, you end up with a ride that is much too compromised.

Anyway, that another topic and one that comes up on this forum on a regular basis... my real question was if comfort seats make life better for those who suffer the harsh ride of RFTs.
If you don't find the run-flat ride annoying then I'm happy for you ;-)
Old 01-31-2007, 06:33 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='385798' date='Jan 31 2007, 03:49 PM
Anyway, that another topic and one that comes up on this forum on a regular basis... my real question was if comfort seats make life better for those who suffer the harsh ride of RFTs.
If you don't find the run-flat ride annoying then I'm happy for you ;-)
No I'm not ... I've experience from my std 17" 530d, and from my girlfriend's dad's 18" 535d M-Sport. Both car has comfort seats.

About the comfort seats.. They are worth it. I didn't know how the sport seats felt until yesterday when were at the dealer to order a new 530. I was thinkin of switch to sport seats because of the M-Pack, the price for the comfort seats are the same even if you've paid for the sport seats with the M-Pack.

My biggest problem is the you have very bad support for the upper back and the headrest is way too far from the head.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I have Comfort Seats, and switched from RFT to Michelin PS2 tires.

Night vs. Day difference in ride quality.

The issue of the RFT tires has nothing to do with the seats. RFT tires just get harsh and noisy after about 10,000 miles.

With the Michelin tires, my car rides smoother and is much more quiet.

Comfort seats RULE, though. Get them just for the comfort.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

I don't perceive a problem and continue to live in blissful ignorance until I somehow discover the "error of my ways".

Oh. And the Missus doesn't have an issue as either a passenger or driver.

But this thread is about opinions and there will be no outcome or consensus.

ABC
Old 01-31-2007, 08:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='385798' date='Jan 31 2007, 02:49 PM
Trust me. It's not hyped...
Depends on a few things though (i) the quality of the road surface (ii) suspension choice (iii) Tyre Profile /Wheel size

My partner want to go in long drives in the car as it makes her feel sick; I don't notice it quite as much but I don't feel the car is planted and have to keep a firm grip the steering. I sometimes feel drained after driving on poor roads and hitting a ridge or pothole can be terrifying.
Raighne, as there is a known 'sensitivity' within the household emanating from 'they whom must be obeyed' (and the indifferent road surfaces in Ireland) would it not make sense to stick with the SE (ditch the M-Sport suspension harshness) and add the dynamic drive option - and, to keep in the good books with your partner add the comfort seats too! - Really, the comfort seats are light years in front of the standard or sports seats for support and comfort in any given situation IMO that is, and it seems of others here too.

As for the RFT's, you can always make a switch to non-RFT's later if you felt this was the way to go.......................
Old 01-31-2007, 09:04 AM
Members

My Ride: My Drive ……X5 3.0d Sport 2004, Sunroof, 6 Speed Auto, SATNAV, TV, Blue Tooth, Sterling Grey, Beige Leather, Folding Mirrors, Auto Dipping Mirrors, 6 CD, Poplar Wood Interior, Sun Protection Glass, Comfort Screen, Heated Seats. My Drive…… 530d Sport (E61) 2005, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, Auto, Comfort Seats, Panoramic Sun Roof, SATNAV Professional, 6 CD, ( Media Pack), Bi- Xenon’s Adaptive, Headlight Washers,Folding Mirrors, Sun Blinds, Sun Protection Glass, Advanced Air Conditioning / Heating, Blue Tooth with integrated Phone. Other Half’s Drive….318 Ci Sport, 2005, Graphite Grey, Red Leather, Full Sports Pack. Three sayings that can help with life “Shy boys get nothing” “You are confusing me with someone who gives a damn” “If you want a friend buy a dog”

I have driven an E90 with RFT's it was lent to me by my local BMW dealer for three days, it felt like I was driving on wheels made of wood,I could not believe how hard the ride was ( standard base saloon) and when I got back into my E61 with RFT's, my car felt so much better, there was no comparison in the rides and my car is a Sport version.

Yes, I do have comfort seats and I think they do enhance the overall driving experience (you would hope so for the cost) and I do believe they soak up some of the harshness of the ride, but not all.

The roads in Ireland I know are not brilliant ( I've driven on them many times) I certainly wouldn't suggest the Sport version with RFT's to be best suited but mainly due to the firmness of the suspension.

Go to your local dealer and try some variants and see what is best suited for you and the way you drive, it's your money and your decision.

Quick Reply: Do Comfort Seats really make RFTs more tolerable?