E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Discovered something new about E60 mirrors today

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 05:51 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you collapse (fold-in) the door mirrors while stopped/parked, and then drive away, when you reach somewhere between 20 and 30mph, they'll automatically restore themselves to normal uncollapsed position. It's like the car's computer has thought "that dumbass has forgotten to put the mirrors back, I'll get that for him".

Made me smile.

btw, that doesn't mean you can't have folded-in mirrors above that speed. I know I've hit the fold-in button while driving before (to squeeze through a tight gap) and they did fold in.

Isn't it nice to have a post that's not complaining that something's wrong
Old 09-01-2011, 06:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by DD_545i
+1
cheers
vern
Old 09-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i

hahah its the little things in life...
Old 09-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Maybe someone else with folding mirror can confirm this, but if you leave the door open for awhile, it'll auto fold the mirrors too.

At least for the new 3 it did.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 528i XDrive - Alpine White Dakota Black Leather, Premium Package, Dark Burlwood Trim, 20% tint on entire car.

Originally Posted by DD_545i
If you collapse (fold-in) the door mirrors while stopped/parked, and then drive away, when you reach somewhere between 20 and 30mph, they'll automatically restore themselves to normal uncollapsed position. It's like the car's computer has thought "that dumbass has forgotten to put the mirrors back, I'll get that for him".

Made me smile.

btw, that doesn't mean you can't have folded-in mirrors above that speed. I know I've hit the fold-in button while driving before (to squeeze through a tight gap) and they did fold in.

That is pretty cool, I am going to have to try that. I am brand new to this forum as of today....I purchased a 2010 Alpine White 528i X Drive about 2.5 months ago with 16K miles on it....I love it so far. I have always wanted a Bimmer and finally have one!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Calimyke
That is pretty cool, I am going to have to try that. I am brand new to this forum as of today....I purchased a 2010 Alpine White 528i X Drive about 2.5 months ago with 16K miles on it....I love it so far. I have always wanted a Bimmer and finally have one!
Welcome to the forum.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Maybe someone else with folding mirror can confirm this, but if you leave the door open for awhile, it'll auto fold the mirrors too.

At least for the new 3 it did.
That works when the mirrors are coded to fold in when locked. So when the door auto lock the mirrors fold themselves too.

I don't mind the mirrors opening at a certain speed, what I don't like is that if I unlock my car, the mirrors decide to open out as well. What if I don't want to open the mirrors while reversing out of a tight space.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
That works when the mirrors are coded to fold in when locked. So when the door auto lock the mirrors fold themselves too.

I don't mind the mirrors opening at a certain speed, what I don't like is that if I unlock my car, the mirrors decide to open out as well. What if I don't want to open the mirrors while reversing out of a tight space.
Bruce are you referring to holding down the lock button longer to fold, or is there a setting that defaults the folding to one press?

But yah, your beef with it makes sense, since you guys have pretty tough parking over there (and Asian countries as well).
Old 09-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Senior Members

I assume this only works with mirrors that have the folding motors built in. I don't have that feature; anyone knows what part number I need to search for on pre-LCI, if it's even possible.

Thanks
Old 09-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Contributors

If you have folding mirror from factory, you would have a button to push to enable fold.

Quick Reply: Discovered something new about E60 mirrors today