E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disconnecting the battery to diagnose high drain

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 03:57 AM
wug
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d E60 LCI
Model Year: 2009
Engine: M57Y

I am in same situation probably and also looking forward for Adie84 reply. For the past 7 days or so i have had the yellow indicator "window anti trap on" and yesterday suddenly red light with battery no charging. Obviously today battery went dead. Haven't had time yet for a computer diagnose. I have a 520d 2009 177hp steptronic.

Last edited by wug; 03-05-2014 at 03:59 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:40 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2003 (E60) 545i SE
Default Update

Hi guys, sorry for the delay in replying. After trying to diagnose whigh component was causing the high drain message and discovering that the drain was only 210mA at its highest (in my opinion not enough to cause an issue) I disconnected the IBS as earlier described. I have not had any problems starting the car and have checked the voltage on the battery a few mornings and it never drops below 12V. It is worth noting that I probably do still have an issue but as it is a relatively low drain and the fact the car is never left standing more than 36 hours without being driven it has not suffered any ill effects.
I do plan to get a decent metre that'll allow me to check some of the higher current components such as the heated seats at some point and will post the results if I find the cause of the drain then.
Cheers.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:45 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2003 (E60) 545i SE
Default Update cont'd

My apologies, I forgot about Redtwin's suggestion that the sleep time may have been longer than I first thought but have not had chance to measure the current again since my metre broke. Again, when I get a new one I'll test to see if this is the case and it is indeed the IBS causing the issue in the first place once the car is fully asleep.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:00 AM
wug
New Members

Quick update! My problems were from generator. Battery voltage was 11.8V with engine off and generator was charging 8-9V with engine on. Replaced generator with new one and battery was put on charger overnight and all back to normal now. Cheers!
Old 03-10-2014, 02:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I might have missed this, but did you mention how old your battery is? A weak battery can cause this issue and even more frequently if one is moving around the car, getting in and out etc. If the battery is more than a few years old, maybe consider changing it out. I would assume the batter is dated and you should be able to tell how old it is. Anytime you are around the car and it awakes you are drawing power...
Old 03-17-2014, 12:08 AM
wug
New Members

Battery seems original from 2009. I couldn't locate the DOT. Due to the generator issues obviously the battery had a little hard time to handle without any help. Now all seems fine and no errors anymore. The "window anti trap on" error was because of a disconnected wire. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 530i with some mods

Thanks for this info, guys.. I'm having a similar problem with my 04 530i (204k miles). I already replaced the alternator and the battery is less than a year old. Both are OEM. But still having a battery drain issue. I also noticed that sometimes the alternator is charging and sometimes its not.. Hopefully this IBS is the culprit. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:35 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leggomysakyo
Thanks for this info, guys.. I'm having a similar problem with my 04 530i (204k miles). I already replaced the alternator and the battery is less than a year old. Both are OEM. But still having a battery drain issue. I also noticed that sometimes the alternator is charging and sometimes its not.. Hopefully this IBS is the culprit. I'll let you know what I find.
You said you replaced the alternator but sometimes it is not working. What voltage are you measuring when drawing the conclusion that it is not working? The alternator not charging is a more serious issue than a parasitic drain.

I assume you have disconnected the BSD line from the IBS to prevent waking the ECU (ECU will fix alternator output at 14.2V absent the IBS). The IBS cannot interfere with alternator charging.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 530i with some mods

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
You said you replaced the alternator but sometimes it is not working. What voltage are you measuring when drawing the conclusion that it is not working? The alternator not charging is a more serious issue than a parasitic drain.

I assume you have disconnected the BSD line from the IBS to prevent waking the ECU (ECU will fix alternator output at 14.2V absent the IBS). The IBS cannot interfere with alternator charging.
I haven't done anything yet... I'm planning on disconnecting the BSD line from the IBS tonight and see what happens. Thanks..

Last edited by leggomysakyo; 03-19-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:32 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the BMW alternator doesn't always charge. That is, there is some computer that decides when it needs to charge.

Quick Reply: Disconnecting the battery to diagnose high drain