E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disconnected negative terminal and all hell broke loose

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 09:36 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 525xi
Model Year: 2006
Engine: V6

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
I do a simple test by turning in the heat full blast. If it doesn't blow on high I know my battery needs to be charged. When your battery is low on charge you get all kinds of errors. I know the first thing I do is disconnect. Because have the door open hood up trunk up drains the battery quick. So if I disconnect before I start my work it will be good. My battery doesn't get the charge as it should because it's not driven long enough. Short drives only maintains we're it's at. Long drives will get it charged where it needs to be.
i have an issue with heat too (thermostat stuck open i think) waiting to be addressed so this wouldnt work for me but ty.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 183 Likes on 179 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Oh yes the joys of disconnecting the battery. I am there too. All kinds of notifications came on, some I could clear (window obstruction), some I could not (passenger restraint malfunction). Having an extremely low battery was part of the problem. The IBS was not telling the alternator how to charge the battery enough. I replaced it myself.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 293 Likes on 282 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Originally Posted by Aboom
i have an issue with heat too (thermostat stuck open i think) waiting to be addressed so this wouldnt work for me but ty.
Maybe I should have been clear with what I was explaining. You're trying to put your blower motor up as high as possible. If it does not blow at full speed when your a/c or heat is on high then your battery needs a charge or changing.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:16 AM
New Members

The battery and alternator have been checked. They are fine.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 293 Likes on 282 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Check to see if the trunk has water damage. Look under your spare tire there should be a module under it. See if you see any signs of water damage on the module or at the spare tire
Old 03-17-2019, 08:48 PM
New Members

A suprising thing happened when i switched my headlights from "automatic" to "manual." I have no idea why but this apparently returned everything back to normal. I had done nothing else to remedy the problem. That is why i have to attribute this simple act as to what fixed all my problems. The AWD, tilt, heated steering wheel, cruise control, high beams, turn signals, and radio ALL started functioning properly! Has anyone a rhyme or reason as to how this "fixed" these problems?
Old 03-18-2019, 10:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by Aboom
A suprising thing happened when i switched my headlights from "automatic" to "manual." I have no idea why but this apparently returned everything back to normal. I had done nothing else to remedy the problem. That is why i have to attribute this simple act as to what fixed all my problems. The AWD, tilt, heated steering wheel, cruise control, high beams, turn signals, and radio ALL started functioning properly! Has anyone a rhyme or reason as to how this "fixed" these problems?
All I can say on the topic is be prepared that this has not totally gone away. A bizarre problem with an even more bizarre fix means the whole thing has no rational explanation and when it comes to these computer modules in the car anything can happen.

A few of these modules are a sort of master gateway that allows different networks in the car to pass messages. If a gateway module is faulty then many unrelated things can appear at once.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:43 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
All I can say on the topic is be prepared that this has not totally gone away. A bizarre problem with an even more bizarre fix means the whole thing has no rational explanation and when it comes to these computer modules in the car anything can happen.

A few of these modules are a sort of master gateway that allows different networks in the car to pass messages. If a gateway module is faulty then many unrelated things can appear at once.
Thanks for the reality check. "Bizarre" hits the nail on the head! I have been so pleased things are "back to normal" that i haven't given it much a thought as to what could lie ahead. As a matter of fact, i have the ac to work on and the heat hasnt been working either. So with fingers crossed i am going to focus on those issues and hope for the best while knowing this nightmare may not be over. Back to the good news, its amazing how much i appreciate the following:

windshield wipers turning off
turn signals working
Radio
Tilt
Heated steering wheel
Cruise control
Awd
High beams