E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Disappointing Gearbox Performance 550i

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008 | 03:59 PM
Members

I realize the 550i has a well known issue with what has been described as throttle hesitation. I've considered the Sprint Booster upgrade and tried the 25 second reset, but I'm absolutely shocked that this issue hasn't been addressed by BMW. Why am I left to fix this issue by trading solutions with other BMW enthusiasts?

I've owned a Audi A8, Lexus GS400, both of which were equipped with steptronic or manual shift options within a automatic transmission and neither one exhibited this tendency.

It's beginning to piss me off.
Old 11-18-2008 | 04:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

What year 550i and transmission do you have? If you have an SAT (and the Step, I think, though I haven't owned one), in Drive mode it is starting off in 2nd gear, and has very sluggish (low) shift points... it's pretty much how BMW made the EPA numbers to avoid the gas guzzler tax, in my view. Press the Sport button, or drive with the shifter in the left position, and you'll like the responsiveness much better.

Cal
Old 11-19-2008 | 02:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='724567' date='Nov 18 2008, 09:22 PM
What year 550i and transmission do you have? If you have an SAT (and the Step, I think, though I haven't owned one), in Drive mode it is starting off in 2nd gear, and has very sluggish (low) shift points... it's pretty much how BMW made the EPA numbers to avoid the gas guzzler tax, in my view. Press the Sport button, or drive with the shifter in the left position, and you'll like the responsiveness much better.

Cal
Cal - Thanks for the input. I have a 2008 550i with the sport package. It has the automatic transmission. I've experimented with shifting using the sport program and shifting manually using the left side of the gearbox, but in each mode, there is a slight hesitation before the torque kicks in.

When you drive in the sport mode, do you have the same slight hesitation?

Terry
Old 11-19-2008 | 05:07 AM
Contributors

The hesitation, in my humble opinion, still exists in all modes but it is drastically reduced by engaging either D/S or SPORT. Its an inherent characteristic of these vehicles and not something that BMW or any other car manufacturer for that matter will address. Purchase yourself a SB and turn that frown upside down.
Old 11-19-2008 | 09:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Silver Metallic w/Sport Automatic Transmission, Ventilated Comfort Seats in Beige Nasca Leather, Light Poplar Trim, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Night Vision, Active Cruise Control, Logic 7, Blue tooth Hands Free, Dynamic Stability, Soft Close. Mods: RPI Exhaust, Scoop + FIlter, License plate LED lights

where would be the best place to buy a Sprint booster from..?
Old 11-19-2008 | 05:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JDoug550' post='725031' date='Nov 19 2008, 10:07 AM
The hesitation, in my humble opinion, still exists in all modes but it is drastically reduced by engaging either D/S or SPORT. Its an inherent characteristic of these vehicles and not something that BMW or any other car manufacturer for that matter will address. Purchase yourself a SB and turn that frown upside down.
The DS Sport setting does mitigate the hesitation, but as you suggest, it's still present. I guess my point is after spending $70,000 on what is billed as one of the most capable performance sedans in production - why should I have to purchase an aftermarket "fix" to this inherent engineering flaw?
Old 11-19-2008 | 08:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black/BlacK

I'd blame the govt etc for making rules to keep you safe, I assume the hesitation helps people from rear ending each other too easily.
Old 11-20-2008 | 04:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nyceric03' post='725958' date='Nov 19 2008, 11:49 PM
I'd blame the govt etc for making rules to keep you safe, I assume the hesitation helps people from rear ending each other too easily.
Wow, I have ZSP and SAT and when in Sport mode I note zero hesitation in the vehicle.

The 550 with ZSP & SAT is every bit the luxo cruiser & beast I had hoped for when I plunked down my $70k.
Old 11-20-2008 | 05:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i, Mystic Blue over Auburn, 6-Manual, Sports, Premium, Cold Weather, Logic 7, Nav, Sirius, MTec Front & Sides with M5 rear apron, VIS Penta carbon fiber vented hood, OEM M166s, (or Style 101M with winter 19 Blizzaks), BMW Blue Calipers, Custom Quad Exhaust and M5 side grills, trunk finisher and spoiler. Rogue Octane SSK/WSR and Zeckhausen CDV, BMW illuminated shift knob, Delivered 4/26/06 - Ordered 3/18/06 from Otto's (the Best) BMW Dealership.

Originally Posted by gill964' post='724556' date='Nov 18 2008, 07:59 PM
I realize the 550i has a well known issue with what has been described as throttle hesitation. I've considered the Sprint Booster upgrade and tried the 25 second reset, but I'm absolutely shocked that this issue hasn't been addressed by BMW. Why am I left to fix this issue by trading solutions with other BMW enthusiasts?

I've owned a Audi A8, Lexus GS400, both of which were equipped with steptronic or manual shift options within a automatic transmission and neither one exhibited this tendency.

It's beginning to piss me off.
I've tried searching on 25 second reset but can't find anything- can you point me? Thanks.
Old 11-20-2008 | 05:27 AM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

i dunno. i have a 6 speed and i dont have any hesitation. is it b/c of a manual gearbox? I know SMG has hesitation. My car can downshift and have tires spinning from third to second.

Quick Reply: Disappointing Gearbox Performance 550i