E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dipstick??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 06:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Please read http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ee9e741/12390. (Thanks for the tip, Rudy.) Then somebody who's at home right now run out and verify.

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2008, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

If you edit your post and remove the quotation marks from the address, the board software will automatically convert it to a clickable link...
Old 02-14-2008, 06:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Wish I had my car, I'd go check to see if the 'dipstick' is really there.... One of the annoyances I've festered on since placing the order.

Cal
Old 02-14-2008, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Okay guys, I'm sort of stunned here but guess what? There is a dipstick on my car! At first I figured it had to be for the transmission but I pulled it out and it didn't seem long enough to reach the gearbox. I then looked at the color of the fluid on the end of the stick and, at first, I thought it was more red then brown but after I put some on my finger and wiped it off with a white paper towel, it was brown and not red.

I then decided to look at TIS to see if there was more information and I found the following document:
sealing_guide_tube_for_oil_dipstick__N62_.pdf

How the hell did we all miss that one?

In the following photo, take a look at the red circle near the firewall:
Dipstick??-550i_dipstick.jpg

Here's a better shot of the little bugger:
Dipstick??-dipstick.jpg
Old 02-14-2008, 06:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Awesome... thanks for checking Rudy! Now... why would BMW want to conceal that from us?!!?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:44 AM
Senior Members

Rudy, is TIS an online subscription service for the manuals or just what is it? I've posted a time or two about purchasing the shop manual DVD but have never found a source or access. Thanks,
Cal
Old 02-14-2008, 06:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

They showed me the dipstick location on my car at the Welt.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='531395' date='Feb 14 2008, 10:44 AM
Rudy, is TIS an online subscription service for the manuals or just what is it? I've posted a time or two about purchasing the shop manual DVD but have never found a source or access. Thanks,
Cal
It's either an online subscription or a disc based system. Subscriptions can be very expensive but sometimes you can find copies of the disc on eBay, etc. (Often times the eBay discs are older ones that don't always contain information on the newer models, etc.)

Take a look here:
http://www.bmwtis.com
Old 02-14-2008, 06:50 AM
Senior Members

Thanks, will check eBay out
Old 02-14-2008, 06:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

I think I deserve, say, 500 added to my post count for fishing that out! Whaddaya say, Rudy?

Quick Reply: Dipstick??