E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

ding on my roof

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 03:58 AM
SDS
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530 xi, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Leather,poplar grain wood trimi, prem. pkg., prem. sound pkg., cold weather pkg., steptronic auto. trans., front comfort seats, split folding rear seats w/ski bag,rear heated seating, power rear sunshade and manual rear side window shades, park distance control, BMW on-board navigation system and satellite radio.

I took delivery of my 2006 530xi about 4 weeks ago. Last week a tall friend of mine asked if I knew I had a ding on my roof towards the rear on the passenger side. I must not have noticed it when I took delivery because I have not even driven the car that much, 530 miles when it was noticed. I'm waiting to see if the dealer will take care of it. The salesman said he wasn't sure if their "ding/dent" guy would be able to fix it because of it's location.
Any thoughts?!?!?!
Old 08-10-2005, 05:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I have a similar issue w/ mine though I have not attempted a fix yet. The ding on mine is on the pillar between the back door and the rear window on the driver's side. Given its height, it is clearly not from contact w/ another car. The only thing I can guess is that although I garage my car at night, sometimes on the weekends I will park in front of my house as I run errands. Most likely a pine cone from the tree in front fell, causing the small dent. Really only visible in the right light at certain angles. The skin on the E60 is quite soft compared to earlier cars I've owned, likely from the use of aluminium as opposed to steel.

Without seeing your damage, I'd talk to the service department and find out who they use as a body shop for repairs. Most have one shop they recommend that works on BMWs. Go see them and see what they say. Hell, they are likely the "ding/dent" guy he's talking about anyway. Not sure the salesman is the best guy to talk to about dent removal!
Old 08-11-2005, 02:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by SDS' date='Aug 10 2005, 01:58 PM
I took delivery of my 2006 530xi about 4 weeks ago.? Last week a tall friend of mine asked if I knew I had a ding on my roof towards the rear on the passenger side.? I must not have noticed it when I took delivery because I have not even driven the car that much, 530 miles when it was noticed.? I'm waiting to see if the dealer will take care of it.? The salesman said he wasn't sure if their "ding/dent" guy would be able to fix it because of it's location.
Any thoughts?!?!?!
[snapback]157833[/snapback]

If they cannot fix it you should get a big'n'nice discount!
Old 08-11-2005, 03:41 AM
SDS
Members

My Ride: 2006 530 xi, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Leather,poplar grain wood trimi, prem. pkg., prem. sound pkg., cold weather pkg., steptronic auto. trans., front comfort seats, split folding rear seats w/ski bag,rear heated seating, power rear sunshade and manual rear side window shades, park distance control, BMW on-board navigation system and satellite radio.

Originally Posted by Ricracing' date='Aug 11 2005, 06:06 AM
[quote name='SDS' date='Aug 10 2005, 01:58 PM']I took delivery of my 2006 530xi about 4 weeks ago.? Last week a tall friend of mine asked if I knew I had a ding on my roof towards the rear on the passenger side.? I must not have noticed it when I took delivery because I have not even driven the car that much, 530 miles when it was noticed.? I'm waiting to see if the dealer will take care of it.? The salesman said he wasn't sure if their "ding/dent" guy would be able to fix it because of it's location.
Any thoughts?!?!?!

[snapback]158230[/snapback]
[/quote]

I doubt that will happen. The problem is going to be that I did not notice it until 3+ weeks after taking delivery. My word against theirs--- we'll see, I guess it will tell me how the dealer is regarding customer service/satisfaction.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:34 AM
SDS
Members

Originally Posted by SDS' date='Aug 11 2005, 07:41 AM
[quote name='Ricracing' date='Aug 11 2005, 06:06 AM'][quote name='SDS' date='Aug 10 2005, 01:58 PM']I took delivery of my 2006 530xi about 4 weeks ago.? Last week a tall friend of mine asked if I knew I had a ding on my roof towards the rear on the passenger side.? I must not have noticed it when I took delivery because I have not even driven the car that much, 530 miles when it was noticed.? I'm waiting to see if the dealer will take care of it.? The salesman said he wasn't sure if their "ding/dent" guy would be able to fix it because of it's location.
Any thoughts?!?!?!

[snapback]158230[/snapback]
[/quote]

I doubt that will happen. The problem is going to be that I did not notice it until 3+ weeks after taking delivery. My word against theirs--- we'll see, I guess it will tell me how the dealer is regarding customer service/satisfaction.
[snapback]158239[/snapback]
[/quote]

The dealer had its "dent and ding" guy take a look at my ding on my roof. Not goog news. I was told that the air bags and the sun roof tracks are in the way to reach through. I suppose it's something I have to live with.....plus the dealer thought that I and others would have noticed the ding if it had been there at the time of delivery. I said it is obvious once you know it's there and when you are looking for it, but maybe not so if you're not focusing on it. I don't know what to do now. Call BMW USA?
Old 08-13-2005, 06:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

The dealer had its "dent and ding" guy take a look at my ding on my roof. Not goog news. I was told that the air bags and the sun roof tracks are in the way to reach through. I suppose it's something I have to live with.....plus the dealer thought that I and others would have noticed the ding if it had been there at the time of delivery. I said it is obvious once you know it's there and when you are looking for it, but maybe not so if you're not focusing on it. I don't know what to do now. Call BMW USA?
[snapback]158910[/snapback]
[/quote]

"...dent and ding" guy...

Do what ever it takes! Those DAD guys are trained to f**k you off

I got a new car, 'cause a reclamated do to the catastrofic EuroNCAP test made in the fall 2004.
I used to have a 1/2004 E60. I now drive a brand new one, but it took 7 months for my to get them understand how serious I was ( I have worked within media for 25 years).