E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dim HID headlights - reflector bowl or bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 10:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i
Model Year: 2006
Default Dim HID headlights - reflector bowl or bulbs?

Hello,

I have a 2006 E60 with the OEM HID headlights (non-adaptive, bulbs never replaced). Over time I've noticed that my lights have become dimmer than more recent cars equipped with HID driving beside me at night. I've read that the HID reflector bowls can lose their reflective coating over time, thereby reducing the light output; are these bowls easy to replace from the back of the headlight (through the bulb replacement opening), or do they have to be cut open? Anyone know a good source for replacement bowls?

Of course, I'm not sure whether the bowls are really the problem, or the bulbs themselves since HID bulb output also degrades over time... Before I start throwing time and money at this issue, I'd appreciate hearing from others who have experienced this dimming problem and whether it turned out to be the bowls or bulbs.

Thanks!
cinergi
Old 05-18-2016, 09:14 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

It's your bulbs... I just had the same conclusion and replaced my lights... back to being really bright!
Old 05-18-2016, 11:12 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

i think it's a combination of the bulbs and a improvement in projector technology in the 10 years since your car was new.

when i bought my E61, one of the bulbs had a pink hue to it, which i understood to mean it was slowly failing. i replaced both bulbs, removed and polished the headlamp housings, and re-aimed the headlights and it made a world of difference. i also noticed that my projector lenses almost look a little cloudy compared to some newer projectors I've seen that look almost crystal clear. I'm not sure if they have fogged over time or were never totally clear to begin with.

i recently had a 2016 Audi A4 as a rental car and was blown away at how bright the headlights were and how sharp the cutoff was. i can only imagine projectors have gotten better in the last decade.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:08 PM
Members

Hmm... good points. Actually, I've also noticed that my projector lenses look a bit cloudy compared with some other cars. I don't remember if they were always like that.

I guess trying new bulbs doesn't hurt if I can find a cheap source for the OEM bulbs (I don't want knockoffs). @rice_rocket, when you said you replaced your lights, I assume you meant just the bulbs (not the entire headlights)?

Thanks
cinergi
Old 05-18-2016, 01:12 PM
New Members

Yup just the bulbs... was considering a conversion to 50 watt so i got some autodn knockoffs which were $30 a pair..vs the closest to oem was $75 each.. if/ when these go I'll do the conversion.

Originally Posted by cinergi
Hmm... good points. Actually, I've also noticed that my projector lenses look a bit cloudy compared with some other cars. I don't remember if they were always like that.

I guess trying new bulbs doesn't hurt if I can find a cheap source for the OEM bulbs (I don't want knockoffs). @rice_rocket, when you said you replaced your lights, I assume you meant just the bulbs (not the entire headlights)?

Thanks
cinergi
Old 05-18-2016, 01:14 PM
New Members

i bought Philips D1S bulbs from Amazon. They were $50/each when i ordered them in december but it looks like they are $58/each now.

make sure you confirm the right bulb - D1S or D2S. some parts catalogs told me that i needed a D2S for my 07 E61, but in fact i needed the D1S. unless you have oompa loompa hands, you will likely need to remove your headlight housings to replace the bulb. i used that opportunity to polish them using
Amazon.com: 3M 39008 Headlight Lens Restoration System: Automotive Amazon.com: 3M 39008 Headlight Lens Restoration System: Automotive
Old 05-18-2016, 01:14 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by rice_rocket88
was considering a conversion to 50 watt .
what's involved in doing this conversion?
Old 05-18-2016, 04:23 PM
New Members

Not a whole lot. You need to get d1s to d2s adapters and then a good error free d2s 55watt hid kit. You simply need to splice/replace the headlight connector and mount everything. If you're doing that you can take out the stock ballast (or leave it) and put it all together. Essentially you're just bypassing the stock d1s ballast and bulb.

Originally Posted by BostonJon
what's involved in doing this conversion?
Old 05-19-2016, 01:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BostonJon
i bought Philips D1S bulbs from Amazon. They were $50/each when i ordered them in december but it looks like they are $58/each now.

make sure you confirm the right bulb - D1S or D2S. some parts catalogs told me that i needed a D2S for my 07 E61, but in fact i needed the D1S. unless you have oompa loompa hands, you will likely need to remove your headlight housings to replace the bulb. i used that opportunity to polish them using Amazon.com: 3M 39008 Headlight Lens Restoration System: Automotive
Yeah I know, it sucks that some cars have D1S and others have D2S. Even realoem.com lists both options for my car, so the only way to make sure is to remove a headlight, check it, reinstall the headlight, buy the proper bulbs, remove both headlights (again), install them, and reinstall the headlights. A big hassle for something that should be simple like changing a bulb...

cinergi
Old 05-19-2016, 08:12 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by cinergi
Yeah I know, it sucks that some cars have D1S and others have D2S. Even realoem.com lists both options for my car, so the only way to make sure is to remove a headlight, check it, reinstall the headlight, buy the proper bulbs, remove both headlights (again), install them, and reinstall the headlights. A big hassle for something that should be simple like changing a bulb...

cinergi
funny thing i just noticed today..the chrome shrouds on my projectors actually have "D2S" embossed on them. however, my bulbs are most definitely D1S.

i would think you could remove the circular plastic cover on the back of your headlamp housing and determine the bulb type without removing the entire assembly from the car. you may need one of those pen mirror things (like a dentist has) to see inside the housing.

Quick Reply: Dim HID headlights - reflector bowl or bulbs?