E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dilemma - Currently have X5 3.0d, want a 535d M Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 02:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings one and all - only just discovered this forum, and I suppose I don't really belong here, but still. I would appreciate folks thoughts, information and maybe advice:

I currently have an 05 X5 3.0d Sport with Comms Pack and 23,500m on the clock. I've had it 13 months.

I then made the mistake last week of test driving a 535d M Sport (272bhp), and can pretty much swap mine for a 535d of the same age at most dealerships.

It was a mistake because I've fallen in love with it!

The one I took out last week would have been purchased but for the fact it had the beige interior which I'm not really after.

As standard the 535d has 18" wheels. I like the look of the 19s, but do folk know if there is a ride/handling difference?

Also, I'm really after an iPod connection. I was told by one dealer that you can take the 6CD changer out of the glovebox and plug the iPod in there and iDrive accepts/recognises it, and allows you to select your tracks from the menu. Is this true? Also, does this charge the iPod?

Also the 530d has just had a power hike in the revisions. Given tat I am going for the older 535d with only(!) 272bhp, do we think it will still have a noticeable power difference?

Finally, depreciation. I'm in the UK, and the new X5 is out this month. I am expecting residuals on X5s to take a hit quite soon because of this, so while I can still swap mine for a ?31k car, do you think it makes sense from a financial point of view.

I'm 30, by the way.... Taking everything into account, do you think I should do it? I love the X5, and always wanted one but the 535d seems amazing, given the fact you still have a lot of metal around you.

Thanks for any help

Paul
Old 04-07-2007, 03:32 AM
Members

My Ride: Its a 535d M-Sport... 19" Alloys, Carbon Black, Lots of bits and I love it!

Do it... I have an 05 535d M Sport, carbon black with black leather... worth every penny. Had it just over a year and enjoy getting into the car as much as I did back then. Its as quick as you need to be, as economical as you want it to be and boy does it look the business!

I wouls also be intrested to know about the Ipod swap out. I think it will need a software upgrade, but wiser folks than me can answer that one!

If I had your dilemma, I would choose the 535 every time.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:34 AM
Members

My Ride: Its a 535d M-Sport... 19" Alloys, Carbon Black, Lots of bits and I love it!

As standard the 535d has 18" wheels. I like the look of the 19s, but do folk know if there is a ride/handling difference?

Oh, forgot to mention, you NEED the 19" rims, they are the business and gets you away from the fact that the 18" are RFT's, and they are much maligned by our friends on this site!
Old 04-09-2007, 01:33 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 535d M-Sport Individual Deep Green Metallic 19" Style 172 wheels Individual Champagne leather Media Pack Visibility pack Sunroof Privacy glass

19" wheels with non RFTs have a similar if not better ride than the 18" with RFTs!

They are a must have but that said they are a pain to clean....but then again so are the 18" wheels.

If 272 HP isnt enough for you give Mike Cooper at DMS Automotive a call. 340HP can be had and if you have the 19" wheels they're also de-limit it for you.

Unless you need the 4WD its a no brainer really in my book, get the 535d!
Old 04-09-2007, 01:49 AM
Members

Do the swap while you can. Sales of the X5 are down due to the tax and congestion charge pricing.

Get the ipod adapter installed as part of the deal along with the latest software update, it won't cost the dealer much other than some time in the shop but will cost you dearly if you have to pay for it later.

I have driven the 535d M sport (272bhp) with both 18" and 19" wheels both give a similar ride, 19" may be a bit quieter being "real tyres". Make sure you are happy with the ride of the M sport, I have decided to go for a 535dSE as I found the M sport a touch hard after 3 hours behind the wheel, plus it fits better in my budget!!
Old 04-09-2007, 05:43 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 535 d M-sport 11/2004

Originally Posted by jim_rockford' post='411095' date='Apr 7 2007, 05:09 AM
Greetings one and all - only just discovered this forum, and I suppose I don't really belong here, but still. I would appreciate folks thoughts, information and maybe advice:

I currently have an 05 X5 3.0d Sport with Comms Pack and 23,500m on the clock. I've had it 13 months.

I then made the mistake last week of test driving a 535d M Sport (272bhp), and can pretty much swap mine for a 535d of the same age at most dealerships.

It was a mistake because I've fallen in love with it!

The one I took out last week would have been purchased but for the fact it had the beige interior which I'm not really after.

Also, I'm really after an iPod connection. I was told by one dealer that you can take the 6CD changer out of the glovebox and plug the iPod in there and iDrive accepts/recognises it, and allows you to select your tracks from the menu. Is this true? Also, does this charge the iPod?

Also the 530d has just had a power hike in the revisions. Given tat I am going for the older 535d with only(!) 272bhp, do we think it will still have a noticeable power difference?

Finally, depreciation. I'm in the UK, and the new X5 is out this month. I am expecting residuals on X5s to take a hit quite soon because of this, so while I can still swap mine for a ?31k car, do you think it makes sense from a financial point of view.

I'm 30, by the way.... Taking everything into account, do you think I should do it? I love the X5, and always wanted one but the 535d seems amazing, given the fact you still have a lot of metal around you.

Thanks for any help

Paul
I`ve made the same change, and never looked back. Its faster, has more space and a much better drive. If you dont need 4wd you will never regret. Just bought 19'' (M5 replica) with Toyo T1R and its no difference from the original 18'' RFT`s. I have driven bouth the new 530 and have the old 535. It sure is a toticeable power difference, specially because of the twin turbo technologi.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i SE Oct 03 (53 plate) 19" Alpina Classic rims

I too used to have a X5 3.0 D Sport.
The ride quality of the E60 is much better in my opinion.
The E60 should feel much nippier than the X5 in its stock form - but I would seriously consider a remap from DMS or Emap or similar.
As for the 19" - I have Alpina 19's on mine (SE) and the ride qulaity is OK - I do get a bit of 'tramlining though'
Old 04-17-2007, 09:16 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 2005 535d Sport, Carbon Black, 19" M-light Double Spoke 172 8J Alloys, Media Package, Bi-Xenons, Heated seats, Black Dakota leather, Sun protection glass.

Hello Jim,
It's got to be the 535d Sport! A truly amazing bit of kit.

It's weird, as I'm in the 'reverse' situation that you're in. I was looking to sell my 5 a few months ago but decided against it - just loved the look and the power - just awesome.

My hand has been somewhat forced - in a nice way though. We're expecting our fourth (yes fourth!) child this summer, so it has to be a 6 or 7 seater car. In our case in this spectrum it can only be the new G wagon, Disco 3, the new X5 or the Ahem Q7.

So it has to go I'm afraid. Let me know if you're interested - I can supply detailed spec. Mine's Carbon Black, Pro Nav, 19"s, new tyres and the 5 year maintenance pack.

regards
Grafiker
Old 04-17-2007, 09:57 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

No contest, get the 535D.

Despite the recent power increase with the 530D, it still has only the single turbo, it is the twin turbo that gives the 535 the edge in smoothness and power, plus if you remap it !!!!!!

it is a car v a tank compared to the X5.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:00 AM
Members

I had a an X5 3.0d sport for about a month while I was waiting for a part (Which the dealer broke !) and I actually really liked it but it was sure nice to get back in to my 5.

I would imagine the twin turbo 5 is much smoother than the single turbo version, although I've never driven a 530d so it would be unfair to comment.

I really don't think you will regret and I agree I think the X5 prices are going to be in to tumble very soon

Go for it, and I agree with others if you want even more power DMS it !

PS I was only 29 when I bought mine new so don't worry about the age thing and the insurance isn't too bad.

Quick Reply: Dilemma - Currently have X5 3.0d, want a 535d M Sport