E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A dilemma …….

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Dawi,

I know we would all like to have lots of toys in our cars, if only our budgets would allow it. Admittedly, Advanced Air Con is nice, but I could happily cope with the standard. Life and Cars are a compromise, and I'd rather have a Six than fancy Air Con and Leather.

My first drive of an E60 was indeed a 520d, owned by an aquaintance who was kind enough to let me have a drive in his car. It was full of shopping, and I only drove it around the town, up the by-pass and back - about 15 minutes, all at legal speeds and driving reasonably, in deference to the guy's pride and joy. The thing that struck me, coming out of a 330d was the relative harshness of the engine. Nothing bad on the great scale of things, but very noticeable to someone who drives a six (and a V8). This, particularly on a long run, makes a big difference how you feel when you get out of the car IMHO. That's the reason I would recommend the 525 over the 520. Also the 525 in manual form would be better at the bottom end of the rev range, pottering about in traffic.

So, yes, you would feel the benefit of two more cylinders in congested UK - even if you discounted the obvious performance boost.

I don't wish to berate the 520d - it is, after all, a fine car - I just would recommend the bigger engine.

Mike
Old 05-02-2007, 12:09 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

80 pounds of difference doesn't sound like a lot to me. In Belgium taxes on 3,0 liter engines are enormous as compared to a 2,0 liter. This is why I ordered a 520d company car business line with 10,000 euros worth of options rather than a 525d. But if the difference had only been 80 pounds, I would have gone for the 3,0 liter even though during my daily trip to work I spend most of the time in nearly-standing traffic. The stop and go function of the 525d is a bonus in commuting traffic as compared to the standard cruise control in a 520d.
But why wouldn't you go for a 525d SE with nice 17 inch rims (244 or 245) and leather seats rather than a 525d sport that looks sportier but is less refined on bad road surfaces (UK B-road potholes) with its 18 inches?
Old 05-02-2007, 12:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Mike O' post='420103' date='May 2 2007, 07:21 AM
I agree in part but I find the torque of the 3 litre diesel helps overcome the lethargy of the auto gearbox. I had a petrol 3 litre auto before this car and I wouldn't make that choice again because of the petrol engine's relative lack of torque.

But hey, I'm approaching 45, I'm allowed some comforts as I approach old age!!
Hehe , i was just in one of those moods yesterday sorry dude.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530d Sport Touring (E61). Silver Grey, Automatic, Professional SatNav, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Folding Mirrors, 6CD changer, Bi-Xenons, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by fuzzer' post='420130' date='May 2 2007, 03:28 AM
Hehe , i was just in one of those moods yesterday sorry dude.
No probs - us old guys need to be kept in check
Old 05-02-2007, 05:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d M-Sport / Silver Grey / Maple Wood / Black Dakota Leather / Heated Comfort Seats / Media Pack With Extended Voice Control / Space Saver Spare Wheel / Sun Protection Glass

I had nearly the same dilema. I needed a five seater, but one that was cheap on tax because the thought of paying Mr Brown for the priviledge of driving my family around peeved me slightly. I chose the 520d becouse the CO2 rating was so low in comparison with comparable Audis and Mercs. In this particular lump of car I wasn't going to do too many miles so I wasn't too bothered by the lackof power and because my budget still had ?10k left I bunged a few options on. If I was to do it again I would make the same choice because at the time the 525d wasn't noticably better than the 520d. With the new 3.0Litre engine I would probably re-assess the situation and take the 525d. M-Sport is an easy decision, better looking, better wheels, better ride, lower noise and better seats. Media pack is a complete waste of cash. The Sat Nav is slow witted and I never use the 6 CD Autochanger. The voice activation is only any relevance because I-drive is so long-winded. Bluetooth is ok. I have comfort seats, they are great but you have to specify leather!

Overall I'd go for a 525d M-Sport with very few accessories over a 520d loaded to the gunnells.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Nevermind' post='420164' date='May 2 2007, 02:07 PM
I had nearly the same dilema. I needed a five seater, but one that was cheap on tax because the thought of paying Mr Brown for the priviledge of driving my family around peeved me slightly. I chose the 520d becouse the CO2 rating was so low in comparison with comparable Audis and Mercs. In this particular lump of car I wasn't going to do too many miles so I wasn't too bothered by the lackof power and because my budget still had ?10k left I bunged a few options on. If I was to do it again I would make the same choice because at the time the 525d wasn't noticably better than the 520d. With the new 3.0Litre engine I would probably re-assess the situation and take the 525d. M-Sport is an easy decision, better looking, better wheels, better ride, lower noise and better seats. Media pack is a complete waste of cash. The Sat Nav is slow witted and I never use the 6 CD Autochanger. The voice activation is only any relevance because I-drive is so long-winded. Bluetooth is ok. I have comfort seats, they are great but you have to specify leather!

Overall I'd go for a 525d M-Sport with very few accessories over a 520d loaded to the gunnells.
Ive got to agree with the media pack. Once bitten , twice shy...
Old 05-02-2007, 06:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: All on order and should be here by 28th September 2007

Thanks for all the replies and views.

I am more drawn to the 525d as I like the thought of the extra bit of power and the smoothness over the 520d. If I could wait until September then I would probably be more tempted to go for the new 2.0l engine than the existing one.

I may just try and squeeze the leather seats into the budget.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:55 AM
Members

You have to drive them both and see if the 20 meets your basic requirements. If it does, then option it up. If not, you need to go for the 25. As far as getting enough options, you need to set yourself a minimum, and not get a stripper. If that means waiting to save up for the car, then do that. I think if you lay out the big bucks for a BMW, but go and get something that doesnt do it for you, either in the power or comfort department, you may very well wind up paying a LOT of money, and still being unsatisfied. BMWs have been just out of my reach for years now, and now that I can finally grab it, I will get it the way I want it. It isnt the worst thing in the world to buy and drive an affordable car short of a new BMW.

I think that you should be able to make yourself happy within the budget you have, and that is more important than the badge on the car. Consider a late model BMW, or any number of very good but less costly cars. Whatever you do, dont pay big bucks, break your budget, and drive around in a car that is short of your expectations and desires.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='420108' date='May 2 2007, 07:45 AM
Dawi,

I know we would all like to have lots of toys in our cars, if only our budgets would allow it. Admittedly, Advanced Air Con is nice, but I could happily cope with the standard. Life and Cars are a compromise, and I'd rather have a Six than fancy Air Con and Leather.

My first drive of an E60 was indeed a 520d, owned by an aquaintance who was kind enough to let me have a drive in his car. It was full of shopping, and I only drove it around the town, up the by-pass and back - about 15 minutes, all at legal speeds and driving reasonably, in deference to the guy's pride and joy. The thing that struck me, coming out of a 330d was the relative harshness of the engine. Nothing bad on the great scale of things, but very noticeable to someone who drives a six (and a V8). This, particularly on a long run, makes a big difference how you feel when you get out of the car IMHO. That's the reason I would recommend the 525 over the 520. Also the 525 in manual form would be better at the bottom end of the rev range, pottering about in traffic.

So, yes, you would feel the benefit of two more cylinders in congested UK - even if you discounted the obvious performance boost.

I don't wish to berate the 520d - it is, after all, a fine car - I just would recommend the bigger engine.

Mike
Enough said - I guess it will always be horses for courses...
Old 05-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Nevermind' post='420164' date='May 2 2007, 02:07 PM
M-Sport is an easy decision..., better ride, lower noise ....
Interesting view.

ABC

Quick Reply: A dilemma …….