E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A dilemma …….

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW ///M 525xi Carbon Black - Dakota Black Leather - Riegel Ahorn Anthrazit trim - Alloy wheels 135 8Jx18" - Sport Seats - Bi-Xenon Headlights - Nav. System Professional - Bluetooth phone prep. - Auto-Dim. Int + Folding exterior mirrors - Rear Blind (electric) and side blinds - PDC - Foldable rear seats - Trailer Clutch -- 1980 - E21 320 1984 - E21 323i - White 1988 - E34 520i - Light Blue 1995 - E39 528i - Dark Blue -- Momo 17" wheels 2001 - E39 530d - Stahblau -- ///M-kit 2002 - Mini Cooper S - Dark Silver -- wifes car 2006 - E60 525xi - Carbon black -- ///M-kit Mods: Anti carjacking system CJ-1

Originally Posted by Mike O' post='419802' date='May 1 2007, 04:56 PM
As for one of the previous comments by fellow contributor 'BMW ///M 525xi' that a chipped 520d will overwhelm a 525d - a chipped 525d will blow any 520d into the weeds!
Ok overwhelm wasn't the right word... but it could be approx. a match for the pk's, torque,...
Old 05-01-2007, 09:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by wired' post='419765' date='May 1 2007, 01:50 PM
Have you considered the Co2 figures in your ?80 month difference?.., I had the same dilemma last month and opted for the 520d SE with toys rather than the bigger engine. the 520d is 158mg which rounds down to 155 for tax purposes. I hate giving anything to the tax man.
I agree with this as I had the same dilemma. The 520d is a very adequate engine on today's roads anyway with a really good turn of speed. Sure the low down acceleration is not on a par with the 525d but we don't all have to be first away from the lights just because we drive a BMW

In common with another one of the posts - being stuck in traffic most of the time nowadays, it is much nicer to have a well spec'd car to sit comfortably in than a 6 cylinder just ticking over in a bog standard 5 series which is pretty miserly in non-added option form. :thumbsdown:
Old 05-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Unless you are an economy freak, then it's a no-brainer. To use the age old adage - YOU CAN'T BEAT CUBES! Go for the big engine, its faster, and if you do a lot of miles, smoother. If you're going for the Sport, then why bother with even bigger wheels, they'll only ruin an already bad ride until you throw away the runflats. Vis Pack, yes. I do a lot of night driving and Xenon's are the business. Advanced Air Con. If you're on a tight budget, then don't bother, it's not worth it. (Yes, I've got it). Load-through is a must (No, I haven't got it). Leather is a necessity only at part-ex time. If you are on a lease, then you won't have problems trying to sell a cloth car - leave it to the finance house and let someone have a cheap motor. Cloth seats are fine - I've done many tens of thousands of miles on them with no problems. With leather you have to have heated as well for the winter.

So, 525d M Sport, manual, Vis Pack, HiFi speakers. If you need the Interior light pack, then search this forum and do the job yourself for a fraction of the cost. Enjoy the car for a year, chip it and spend the next two years grinning!

Mike
Old 05-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='419878' date='May 1 2007, 08:33 PM
Unless you are an economy freak, then it's a no-brainer. To use the age old adage - YOU CAN'T BEAT CUBES! Go for the big engine, its faster.
+1

ABC
Old 05-01-2007, 01:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='419878' date='May 1 2007, 08:33 PM
Unless you are an economy freak, then it's a no-brainer. To use the age old adage - YOU CAN'T BEAT CUBES! Go for the big engine, its faster, and if you do a lot of miles, smoother. If you're going for the Sport, then why bother with even bigger wheels, they'll only ruin an already bad ride until you throw away the runflats. Vis Pack, yes. I do a lot of night driving and Xenon's are the business. Advanced Air Con. If you're on a tight budget, then don't bother, it's not worth it. (Yes, I've got it). Load-through is a must (No, I haven't got it). Leather is a necessity only at part-ex time. If you are on a lease, then you won't have problems trying to sell a cloth car - leave it to the finance house and let someone have a cheap motor. Cloth seats are fine - I've done many tens of thousands of miles on them with no problems. With leather you have to have heated as well for the winter.

So, 525d M Sport, manual, Vis Pack, HiFi speakers. If you need the Interior light pack, then search this forum and do the job yourself for a fraction of the cost. Enjoy the car for a year, chip it and spend the next two years grinning!

Mike
I don't think anyone is disputing that if money is no object then go for the bigger smoother engine plus all the options your heart desires. However, real life is not that way for most people and compromises are inevitable.

You may feel that an E60 cannot possibly be powered by any less than 6 cylinders but IMO it should not be saddled either with tacky cloth seats, appalling standard A/C and generally feel low rent. After all it is meant to be an executive car.

Unfortunately with premium brands you have to dig deep into the options list to keep up with the spec of any other bog standard brand such as Ford, Honda and in fact all the Japanese makes.

Do you really get to often feel the benefit of those extra 2 cylinders in real world Britain?
Old 05-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by idgam' post='419748' date='May 1 2007, 12:47 PM
Please help me!!!!

What would you guys do?
Interesting problem. You are on the horns of the daila lama.

If it was me, I'd go for a 525d SE (rather than the Sport) and spend the money saved on metallic, leather, auto and probably an 18" wheel plus the spare wheel and tyre. Any monies left over, spend on whatever other option you want (e.g sports seats, sports steering wheel blah blah blah). Also, as part of the deal, I'd replace the runflats with proper tyres. You now have a proper riding car. I did that with my previous e60 (petrol rather than diesel) and I was glad I did.

Be
Old 05-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Members

+1

Had both ends of the scale, high options,low cubes and then switched for low options, high cubes and I'd go for that everytime. I found the novelty factor of the toys wears thin pretty quickly whereas as the extra oomph is always nice to have. I'd say it is actually more relaxing to drive a car that has that extra power in reserve than one you might need to work at from time to time.

...having said that if someone wanted to buy me an M5 with all the toys I wouldn't say no either
Old 05-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530d Sport Touring (E61). Silver Grey, Automatic, Professional SatNav, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Folding Mirrors, 6CD changer, Bi-Xenons, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by MTRHEAD' post='419929' date='May 1 2007, 04:51 PM
+1

Had both ends of the scale, high options,low cubes and then switched for low options, high cubes and I'd go for that everytime. I found the novelty factor of the toys wears thin pretty quickly whereas as the extra oomph is always nice to have. I'd say it is actually more relaxing to drive a car that has that extra power in reserve than one you might need to work at from time to time.

...having said that if someone wanted to buy me an M5 with all the toys I wouldn't say no either
I agree - I once had the choice of small engined E46 318iSE with loads of options or a poverty specification 6 cylinder 323iSE - I bought the 318i and spent 3 years wishing I'd bought the car with the bigger engine. I didn't make that mistake again!
Old 05-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530d Sport Touring (E61). Silver Grey, Automatic, Professional SatNav, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Folding Mirrors, 6CD changer, Bi-Xenons, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by fuzzer' post='419806' date='May 1 2007, 10:11 AM
Why buy an auto then dude? I thought a real drivers car had to be a manual or an SMG? Sounds like youve gone down the road of the old man mobile lounge a bit yourself ...
I agree in part but I find the torque of the 3 litre diesel helps overcome the lethargy of the auto gearbox. I had a petrol 3 litre auto before this car and I wouldn't make that choice again because of the petrol engine's relative lack of torque.

But hey, I'm approaching 45, I'm allowed some comforts as I approach old age!!
Old 05-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dawi' post='419925' date='May 1 2007, 04:44 PM
I don't think anyone is disputing that if money is no object then go for the bigger smoother engine plus all the options your heart desires. However, real life is not that way for most people and compromises are inevitable.

You may feel that an E60 cannot possibly be powered by any less than 6 cylinders but IMO it should not be saddled either with tacky cloth seats, appalling standard A/C and generally feel low rent. After all it is meant to be an executive car.

Unfortunately with premium brands you have to dig deep into the options list to keep up with the spec of any other bog standard brand such as Ford, Honda and in fact all the Japanese makes.

Do you really get to often feel the benefit of those extra 2 cylinders in real world Britain?
Absolutely. I know a lot is said about how crowded Britain's roads are but I still plenty of time on back roads where overtaking ability is key so yes, I like having the power and torque of the six cylinder diesel.

Of course, I said in my original note, if most of your driving is done on busy motorways then it doesn't really matter what size engine you have but personally, I'd rather have cloth seats and a bigger engine than leather seats and a small engine - I've done that - thought it was a mistake - won't go there again!!

Quick Reply: A dilemma …….