E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Differencfe between IPOD aded by factory and the IPOD MOST interface?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 E60 525i

I have seen a lot of threads where people said if you didnt order the IPOD interface when you originally bought the car then you will never get the same experience even adding the MOST IPOD interface.

is this true?

purchasing the MOST interface for 299.99 is still different/less advanced from the factory added option? if so what is the diference?

from my reading if you remove your changer and add the MOST interface you get control of your IPOD via I DRIVE so if thats the case what more does the orignal facotry added option have over the MOST retrofit?
Old 03-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Senior Members

First the factory option supports USB so that?s one big difference. There are a lot of limitations (number of tracks, etc.) on the retrofit and it also doesn?t display top levels properly.

On the other hand, the retrofit supports podcasts properly and the factory option doesn?t.

Finally I have heard - but not yet had time to verify with bmw - that a retrofit of the 6fl factory option might be available.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:46 AM
Members

I ordered a new car with the iPod interface from the factory. Haven't taken delivery of it yet. So it's hearsay/read!!

What I read on the web (English and German sites) is that the retrofit can control the iPod but you have to acces lists like artist, song, album etc. on the top level trough the available CD choices from the CD changer.

For instance
CD1 = Artist list
CD2 = Song list

Once you are in a list the titles and other information should be there.

The Factory version 6FL also allows direct acces to the "normal" list names (artist, song etc.) More like the way it's on you iPod you could say.

Maybe there are more differences but since they cost the same I decided to have mine installed from the factory. The dealers are not very well informed on this matter. If you already have a car the retrofit kit sound like a good option as well, buying a new car seems a bit over the top

In 4 weeks I hope to have my car and connect my iPod Touch to see what it actually does and shows!

Guus