E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Differences between SAT and STEP?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

I can't seem to find it. I have a memory of reading an excerpt from some official BMW publication as to the differences between the Sport Automatic and the Steptronic. It was posted on bimmerfest that they're the same mechanically, differ only in software ... I doubt that's true but it could be, anyone know for sure. Rudy, do you remember the BMW info I was referring to?

Also, has BMW published any 1/4-mile ETs or 0-60's for the SAT versus the Steptronic, in like a 535i or a 550i?

Cal
Old 07-30-2008, 06:38 PM
Members

I asked this a few months ago here.... http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=50111&hl=

This was regarding 535i but there is A LOT of good info in the thread
Old 07-31-2008, 04:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Thanks. I clicked on about 10 of the linked links... and read about a jillion posts... You're right, a lot of good information, er, opinions and speculation. I didn't see anything official about the actual differences. I suspect the differences are substantially more than software, but would like to read an authoritative comparison. If I find one I'll post it back here.

Cal
Old 07-31-2008, 12:52 PM
Senior Members

Bumping up one time--- Rudy, I assume you don't know for sure or have any BMW tech literature on the SAT vs the Steptronic?
Thanks, Cal
Old 07-31-2008, 02:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

I thought SAT = Steptronic....
Old 07-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Members

Cal, I spent quite some time digging to try and get concrete info about the difference before ordering my car. I contacted my local dealer and spoke to a few people as well as bmw usa via email and phone without really getting much. You'd think something like this would be easy to find out...all I wanted to know was if the transmissions themselves are the same. I had a pdf that listed the actual part numbers (for most major parts) of 2008 5 series and it did list the same transmission part number ( 6HP19ZTU ) for 535i with standard Step and with SAT. My computer crashed a few weeks ago and I lost that pdf (along with tons of other important things that were on that drive, but that's another story). With the 535i (not sure on 550i) SAT is only a $500 option, for that small amount I seriously doubt it includes a new transmission I beleive that SAT gives you paddle shifters and a more agressive (sportier) shift software which is great in itself. Maybe I can crawl under my car and try to find a part number but I'm pretty sure the trans themselves are the same. Good Luck

PS. I do beleive reading that the 550i has an even beefier trans than the 535i (obviously due to the more powerful motor)...but I think even with 550i the trans will be the same for Step and SAT. Would be nice to figure this out for sure though with something concrete
Old 07-31-2008, 03:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by My535i' post='637040' date='Jul 31 2008, 07:24 PM
Cal, I spent quite some time digging to try and get concrete info about the difference before ordering my car. I contacted my local dealer and spoke to a few people as well as bmw usa via email and phone without really getting much. You'd think something like this would be easy to find out...all I wanted to know was if the transmissions themselves are the same. I had a pdf that listed the actual part numbers (for most major parts) of 2008 5 series and it did list the same transmission part number ( 6HP19ZTU ) for 535i with standard Step and with SAT. My computer crashed a few weeks ago and I lost that pdf (along with tons of other important things that were on that drive, but that's another story). With the 535i (not sure on 550i) SAT is only a $500 option, for that small amount I seriously doubt it includes a new transmission I beleive that SAT gives you paddle shifters and a more agressive (sportier) shift software which is great in itself. Maybe I can crawl under my car and try to find a part number but I'm pretty sure the trans themselves are the same. Good Luck

PS. I do beleive reading that the 550i has an even beefier trans than the 535i (obviously due to the more powerful motor)...but I think even with 550i the trans will be the same for Step and SAT. Would be nice to figure this out for sure though with something concrete
Backups my friend! Saves lots of grief. I use a big USB external drive and an "xcopy" script to pick up changed files every week or so. I should do it more often.

Re the SAT, I believe the 550i uses the 6HP26ZTU model for the extra torque capacity. I have never found conclusive evidence on the differences with the SAT over the standard model.