E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Difference from SE Sport and M Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 05:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport, Carbon Black, Black half leather

Has anyone got a set of pics to show the difference.. is there much change in spec.. looking to buy this week so would be real helpful

Am in the UK is that makes things any different
Old 01-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Epic' post='762621' date='Jan 8 2009, 09:49 AM
Has anyone got a set of pics to show the difference.. is there much change in spec.. looking to buy this week so would be real helpful

Am in the UK is that makes things any different
Dont buy SE!! seats are not sports seats, steering wheel looks dated, doesn't have M-sport kit on and comes with smaller alloys. M sport kit also gives you sport suspension. I guess it depends on what you want, but if you want something that looks a little more aggresive go for M-sport, its well worth it IMO. Go to a BMW garage test drive both and decide what you prefer.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kadafi39' post='763084' date='Jan 9 2009, 12:37 AM
Dont buy SE!! seats are not sports seats, steering wheel looks dated, doesn't have M-sport kit on and comes with smaller alloys. M sport kit also gives you sport suspension. I guess it depends on what you want, but if you want something that looks a little more aggresive go for M-sport, its well worth it IMO. Go to a BMW garage test drive both and decide what you prefer.
Im not going for the SE, they said that they got SE Sports. And that its what the M Sport used to be called.. so on there site they got SE, SE Sports and M Sports...

http://www.bigmotoringworld.co.uk/kent_bmw_5_series.asp

I asked them what the different is and they said there is none at all when looking at them.

I want the M Tech look for sure! And from what they are saying there SE Sports have that look

Im well confused now tho...
Old 01-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Senior Members

SE Sport isn't an offical spec. Think the company calls these SE sports because they are SE base cars dressed up to look like an M sport. The only difference will be that it says SE on the log book, the car will have grey rather than black headliner and it will say BMW rather than ///M on the kick plates. On SE's you can add Sport items from factory, ie sport seats, steering wheel, suspension. Hope this helps
Old 01-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by Epic' post='763194' date='Jan 9 2009, 02:25 AM
Im not going for the SE, they said that they got SE Sports. And that its what the M Sport used to be called.. so on there site they got SE, SE Sports and M Sports...

http://www.bigmotoringworld.co.uk/kent_bmw_5_series.asp

I asked them what the different is and they said there is none at all when looking at them.

I want the M Tech look for sure! And from what they are saying there SE Sports have that look

Im well confused now tho...
Got to say I have never heard of an 'SE Sport' before. I don't think this, as already stated, is an official BMW model. Certainly when I bought mine new in April 2007, the only choices were SE & M Sport, and for me it was no question going to be an M Sport.

Take a look at the BMW UK website HERE which will give you full details of the current model range - note no SE Sport, and I don't think there ever was?
Old 01-09-2009, 01:06 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

If there was an SE with the M Spot kit I would buy it.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:42 AM
Members

Interesting, not sure what i have then, i was lead to believe i have a 54 se sport. The original bmw invoice stated 530d se sport , which means sports seats / steering wheel/ dampers/ springs / anti roll bars / 18in wheels/shadowline. Basically everything as msport but without the bodykit and m badge on the steering wheel. all subject to the options list of course
Old 01-09-2009, 02:04 AM
Contributors

same as bruce here.

i think unless you are always driving "spiritedly" the SE suspension/ride is better IMHO.

if givin a choice i would opt for a well specced SE and put the M teck aero package on, you can buy kick plates off ebay, and an M steering wheel, trim inside can be replaced and if you spec right you can get sports seats on the SE

its all about what you want, and if you could be inclined to "customise" your car to you.

that would be cheaper i think that buying a M teck car, and changing the suspension, or on orthopedic treatment ( )
Old 01-09-2009, 02:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rob Hall' post='763457' date='Jan 9 2009, 11:42 AM
Interesting, not sure what i have then, i was lead to believe i have a 54 se sport. The original bmw invoice stated 530d se sport , which means sports seats / steering wheel/ dampers/ springs / anti roll bars / 18in wheels/shadowline. Basically everything as msport but without the bodykit and m badge on the steering wheel. all subject to the options list of course
Its really confused me when you replyed.. as my name is actualy Robert Hall.. lol

Apparently they said its sumthing to do with pre 2004 they used to be called SE Sport and then they changed it to M Sport for no reason... but if thats the case why do they have 2005 and 2006 SE Sports on there site... and i have compaired the pictures and they look the same!

Main things i want are the M Tech bumpers n side skirts, the stearing wheel and good black leather seats. now when i look at the pictures on one of the SE Sports they seem to have all that..

Im going down there later today.. so i hope im not disapointed and can have a few things explained
Old 01-09-2009, 03:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by Epic' post='763466' date='Jan 9 2009, 11:29 AM
Its really confused me when you replyed.. as my name is actualy Robert Hall.. lol

Apparently they said its sumthing to do with pre 2004 they used to be called SE Sport and then they changed it to M Sport for no reason... but if thats the case why do they have 2005 and 2006 SE Sports on there site... and i have compaired the pictures and they look the same!

Main things i want are the M Tech bumpers n side skirts, the stearing wheel and good black leather seats. now when i look at the pictures on one of the SE Sports they seem to have all that..

Im going down there later today.. so i hope im not disapointed and can have a few things explained
My view on this (and I may be wrong) is that the so called 'SE Sport' is actually an SE car that either had a number of sports bits added as options when new or that has had these retrofitted afterwards or a combination of the two. I really don't think that there has ever been an official BMW UK spec car that is referred to as an 'SE Sport'. AFAIK they are either officially an SE or an M-Sport. Another possibility is that these 'SE Sports' are not UK cars, and were originally built for another market - it is possible?

If I'm wrong somebody please correct me by all means!

Quick Reply: Difference from SE Sport and M Sport