E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Difference between pouring in gas tank v. into engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was doing seafoam and wondered what was the difference in putting the stuff in your gas v. directly into your engine via intake/vacuum etc. I would think anywhere fuel goes, air goes so the stuff in the tank will reach the same places as putting it right into the intake. I dont know engines well enough though. Why would there be a difference as far as cleaning out the carbon from the engine/exhaust whether you put it in the fuel or into the engine directly
Old 04-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Pouring what? cleaner? or water? hehe
Old 04-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Dear 545OH,

Please don't fill up your fine BMW 545i with anything else than the best gasoline you can find!

And have it served at your dealers.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

So you dont want to use the disignated place to put the fuel (gas tank), but you want to put it directly into the engine? wtf? whyyyyyyyyyyyyy? :S
Old 04-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Members

Sea-foam is meant for very old cars which has done more than 100K miles.
Even so, there has never been substantial proof that the stuff works.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Members

the difference would be in the concentration of the seaform. if you suck it closer to the engine at one of intake tubes, then its more concentrated bc its mixing with (alot) less gas .

honestly, if you are always running good gas, i dont think you need to do that seaform stuff.

i would use it on my 91 e30, but definitely not my e60, just my opinion...
Old 04-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Contributors

you could swallow a little pool water with chlorine, but take a swig of bleach and see what happens.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='833443' date='Apr 1 2009, 07:46 PM
you could swallow a little pool water with chlorine, but take a swig of bleach and see what happens.
Is is the same as what happens when someone pees in the pool from the diving board when you float by
Old 04-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Members

I have used Seafoam on several 2 stroke outboards and a couple inboard V-8's. It is a great carbon remover. It goes right in the engine through a schrader valve or down the throat of the carb. I don't think I would use it in my BMW. I do use Techron fuel injector cleaner in most of my cars when they get a few miles on them.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Members

Difference is this....put it in the gas and it's a fuel treatement/cleaner for the engines top end and fuel system (injectors, cylinders, pistons, rings etc). Put it in the oil and it it becomes and internal engine detergent that takes carbon deposits off your bottom end (crankshaft, cams, rockers, valves etc.). Hopefully you have an understanding of an internal combustion engine but if not you may need to use "Google" to know what I mean. You should only drive the car about 50 miles after doing the Oil treatment then you need to do an oil/filter change.

Seafoam is pretty good stuff and has been around for a long time and I have used it as well. I wouldn't put it into my BMW though. That's just me. It's more for older engines and 2-strokes. If you want to keep the carbon out of your engine let it fully warm up every time you drive it and take it out and beat on it once in a while.

Quick Reply: Difference between pouring in gas tank v. into engine