E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

DIESEL ENGINE OUT OF CONTROL

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009 | 04:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d se, Black, HID lights, Beam washers, electrical seats, steering conrols, automatic light, Automatic wipers. RFTyres, SAT-NAV,

Hi Boys and Girls.
Today my 525D se BMW 2005, gave me the fright of my life.
I was driving uphill and trying to overtake....
Then I experienced loss of power, looked in the mirror and saw a massive white plume of
oily exhaust. I pulled to the side, then the engine went out of control revving itselft to eternity.
I immediately switched off the engine and pulled the key out and it kept running like mad as if somebody was stepping over the
accelerator. Then Put it in first gear and gently released the clutch to make it stop but this was scary.
I tried turning the engine and it turned and went out of control and had to stop it on gear.
I towed it to my Garage (not a BMW one!)
we found the oil 2 inches over the upper level! My mechanic explained that this is what made the engine run out of control as it was being fired with the oil in the sump. From the exhaust pipe, came out some clean oily liquid. No water is mixed with the oil!
The oil does not have any smell of diesel and we cannot find out what happened for the oil level to rise dramatically.
I am suspecting (merely suspecting eh) that the fuel contained biodiesel....
hat do you think guys as I am very worried with this?
Old 11-20-2009 | 04:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

did u put biodiesel in by mistake? as these engines must not be run on it
Old 11-20-2009 | 04:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d se, Black, HID lights, Beam washers, electrical seats, steering conrols, automatic light, Automatic wipers. RFTyres, SAT-NAV,

NO! NEVER I know that they can`t be run on it.
I am suspicious of the pump I bougt it from. I can get the Fuel provider to check.
What else can it be?
Old 11-20-2009 | 08:50 AM
Senior Members

I have heard of this before, it can happen to any turbo diesel engine when the turbo oil seals fail.

Here is a link to an X5 going through this:

Old 11-20-2009 | 09:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by Bob525D' post='1059169' date='Nov 20 2009, 09:50 AM
I have heard of this before, it can happen to any turbo diesel engine when the turbo oil seals fail.

Here is a link to an X5 going through this:

X5 Engine crash.
I've read about the same thing on here with the diesel turbo seal failure.
Old 11-20-2009 | 10:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

Originally Posted by sputnik' post='1059033' date='Nov 20 2009, 05:39 AM
Hi Boys and Girls.
Today my 525D se BMW 2005, gave me the fright of my life.
I was driving uphill and trying to overtake....
Then I experienced loss of power, looked in the mirror and saw a massive white plume of
oily exhaust. I pulled to the side, then the engine went out of control revving itselft to eternity.
I immediately switched off the engine and pulled the key out and it kept running like mad as if somebody was stepping over the
accelerator. Then Put it in first gear and gently released the clutch to make it stop but this was scary.
I tried turning the engine and it turned and went out of control and had to stop it on gear.
I towed it to my Garage (not a BMW one!)
we found the oil 2 inches over the upper level! My mechanic explained that this is what made the engine run out of control as it was being fired with the oil in the sump. From the exhaust pipe, came out some clean oily liquid. No water is mixed with the oil!
The oil does not have any smell of diesel and we cannot find out what happened for the oil level to rise dramatically.
I am suspecting (merely suspecting eh) that the fuel contained biodiesel....
hat do you think guys as I am very worried with this?

i think you blew a turbo, the engine was running out of control on its own engine oil.
Old 11-20-2009 | 10:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

Holy smokes, I never knew that could happen. That would make me think twice about every buying a turbo-diesel.
Old 11-20-2009 | 12:17 PM
Members

Yep sounds like the turbo seals have failed and the car is running on engine oil.
Old 11-20-2009 | 01:47 PM
Members

Now you know why diesel's are known as oil burners
Being serious, this is a common occurance where I work as we carry out engine endurance testing, nearly always results in engine failure so you did well to stop
the engine running before this happened.
The other way is to pull of the pipe that supplies air into the engine as its the oil / air mixture that the engine is running on.

Jason
Old 11-20-2009 | 02:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 530D Sport E61

Know how you feel had a cylinder head failure on an old land rover TDI and the engine started burning engine oil and accelerating it was rather scary as i was doing 70mph. The brakes on the discovery were never good so even standing on them it took ages to bring it a stop and eventually stall the engine. -not the best fun I have had!

Quick Reply: DIESEL ENGINE OUT OF CONTROL