E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Did BMW replace my cylinder head?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all!!

Quick background---I have an 08 528i...I brought the car in for the infamous knocking noise back in june 2011---BMW replaced my Exhaust Lifters.

The knocking came back a few months back, and I just got around to sending it back into service this week.

Yesterday, the service REP said that he is awaiting authorization from BMW USA to replace the cylinder head--and today, he says the car is fixed and ready to go..

Could they really replace the cylinder head that fast? I would assume they would have to order the part, and it would take more than just 18 hrs to get the part in..that is why I am a bit weary. See attached image for a screenshot of my invoice...I am just curious if this means it was for sure replaced!

Thanks a lot!

Old 03-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Contributors

Any time warranty or repair work was performed on my BMWs I received a detailed parts, labor itemization. Were you provided with the completed work order print out?
Old 03-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Any time warranty or repair work was performed on my BMWs I received a detailed parts, labor itemization. Were you provided with the completed work order print out?
I haven't picked the vehicle up yet. I am picking it up tomorrow morning. I will, of course, look closely at the invoice they provide me with. Do you think it looks like it may have been replaced though?

Also, besides paperwork, how would I be able to tell it was changed? Maybe a head that looks very clean? different color gasket? etc..
Old 03-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Ok so what I read is that you have a knocking sound upon cold start
You take it into BMW
Tech checked error memory and found nothing so he decided to have your SA submit a case
They came back and told Tech to replace Cyclinder head.
Tech replaced cylinder head SUPER fast from what you are saying.
You took possession of the car.

Is the car fixed? I know that with these engines it's going to take at least 10 hours to remove and replace a cylinder head if you have it right there on standby...so I'm not buying it. But if your car is fixed then what can I say. Could be that they're submitting bogus cases to BMW to get paid when they know the issue is a small issue. They get approval to do something and get paid, fix your little issue and give it back to you. It does happen. Just go to the ER and check out what they billed insurance company for. $800 for an aspirin is not fraud?
Old 03-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

To replace the cylinder head you have to take apart half the engine. I had a BMW with a warped cylinder head. had to take it out which was easier with M54 and then had to take it to machine shop. Taking it out and putting it back in took about 7 hours each. On your engine I could only imagine since you do have those custome aluminium BMW bolts holding the valve cover down which are a pain in the ass and need to be replaced each time.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Ok so what I read is that you have a knocking sound upon cold start
You take it into BMW
Tech checked error memory and found nothing so he decided to have your SA submit a case
They came back and told Tech to replace Cyclinder head.
Tech replaced cylinder head SUPER fast from what you are saying.
You took possession of the car.

Is the car fixed? I know that with these engines it's going to take at least 10 hours to remove and replace a cylinder head if you have it right there on standby...so I'm not buying it. But if your car is fixed then what can I say. Could be that they're submitting bogus cases to BMW to get paid when they know the issue is a small issue. They get approval to do something and get paid, fix your little issue and give it back to you. It does happen. Just go to the ER and check out what they billed insurance company for. $800 for an aspirin is not fraud?

Yes, I agree. It seems like it was "replaced" too fast--I doubt that they have the new N52 cylinder heads just laying around, I would bet these parts have to be specially ordered. But, who knows, maybe they did have one on hand and the tech worked his butt off to get it fixed...I will find out in a few days after some cold starts if they really replaced it or not.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:21 PM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Sounds sketch big time. Most special parts like that are ordered from Germany.... Shit it took 3 weeks to get a replacement steering wheel from Germany when my heated steering went out.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:28 AM
Members

I just got home from the dealership, with my car back. Here are the parts that were replaced, as my invoice states. I asked the SA where the head came from, and he said that they overnighted the head from a warehouse in Tennessee. Sound legit?

anyway, here are the parts that were replaced:

11-12-7-591-617 Cylinder Head (1)
11-12-7-548-799 Set Bolt Cylinders (1)
11-12-0-392-547 Set of Alu. Screws (1)
11-12-7-521-167 ASA-Stud Bolt (3)
11-36-7-524-954 Collar Screw (2)
11-12-7-555-757 Cylinder Head Gasket (1)
11-12-7-571-963 Gasket Set Cylinder (1)
31-10-6-772-199 Hexagon Screw With (5)
11-42-7-566-327 Set Oil-Filter Elem (1)
07-51-0-017-866 Motor Oil SAE 5W-30 (7)
82-14-1-467-704 Antifreeze (1)
Old 03-15-2012, 08:52 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Not sure if they have a BMW warehouse in TN but who knows they do have a plant in SC. The only reason I said it sounded sketch was because every time I've ordered something uncommon, most recently an under body splash guard, its had to be shipped in from Germany.
The list of parts sounds legit. I'd just give them the benefit of the doubt for now if everything seems fine. They either screwed you or went above and beyond in my opinion. Time will tell.

Just wondering but did they list the cost of the parts? I don't think they usually do if its covered under warranty but I'm just curious what the job cost.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Its not unusual for luxury car manufacturers to have a complete inventory of essential drivetrain and engine parts on hand. Non-essential trim pieces etc or low demand parts typically take longer to obtain.
In your case, if the car seems back to factory spec you should be happy. It looks like it cost nothing and you hopefully got a 'free' oil change.

Quick Reply: Did BMW replace my cylinder head?