E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Detroit News Article on Bangle

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I'm always amazed that they get quotes from J Mays when analyzing Chris Bangle's work and in a number of publications I see the same thing - that J Mays, while "not a fan", at least acknowledges that Bangle's work has had a major impact on the industry. IMHO, based on the designs he has supervised and authorized, J Mays isn't fit to lace Chris' shoes let alone be in a position to critique his work. Aston (in particular) and Jaguar apart (both of which I think do have excellent design) - there's not a lot in the Ford portfolio that would lead Chris to be a "fan" of J Mays work either.....
Old 02-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by swajames' post='244562' date='Feb 22 2006, 11:01 PM
I'm always amazed that they get quotes from J Mays when analyzing Chris Bangle's work and in a number of publications I see the same thing - that J Mays, while "not a fan", at least acknowledges that Bangle's work has had a major impact on the industry. IMHO, based on the designs he has supervised and authorized, J Mays isn't fit to lace Chris' shoes let alone be in a position to critique his work. Aston (in particular) and Jaguar apart (both of which I think do have excellent design) - there's not a lot in the Ford portfolio that would lead Chris to be a "fan" of J Mays work either.....
Maybe they're rivals? Were roommates in college?? Brothers from a different father???

Or maybe the journalists just want to highlight their polar design languages - one looks foward, one looks backward.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='244874' date='Feb 23 2006, 09:26 PM
Maybe they're rivals? Were roommates in college?? Brothers from a different father???

Or maybe the journalists just want to highlight their polar design languages - one looks foward, one looks backward.
Good thinking
Old 02-23-2006, 11:00 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I'll admit I was not a fan of the Bangle designs when they first appeared. I thought the 7er was downright ugly (I was less offended by the butt than most--I thought the front was horrible). Even today, despite the recent facelift, I still don't like the 7er styling. When it was time to replace my 740i, I wouldn't even consider buying the new 7er due to its styling (so I got an E55, but that's another story... ). The Z4, with its extreme "flame surfacing" was also a bit much for me at first (I thought the Z3 was beautiful).

I do agree that BMW needed to do something to move away from the "one sausage, three lengths" design paradigm (they're not the only company guilty of that--ever try to distinguish one Mercedes from another?).

I had a '96 525i and a '00 740i, and while I considered them classic designs for their time, when you compare the E60 to E39, for example, the E39 looks somewhat boring & conservative by comparison.

Detroit News Article on Bangle-e60_vs_e39.jpg
Detroit News Article on Bangle-m5_4_gen_front_800.jpg
Detroit News Article on Bangle-m5_4_gen_rear_800.jpg
Old 03-07-2006, 06:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Personally I believe that Chris Bangle that has accomplished great things for BMW. The new design language works exceedingly well and leads the industry. MB is now following BMW's lead. Just look at the new S-Class. Is everything perfect? Maybe not, but that is the price for pushing the envelope. I admire his design work immensely and I will continue to buy BMW's.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:58 AM
Senior Members

I read an interview with Bangle once, which convinced me he was onto something.

His argument was that, pretty much every BMW design for the last 20 years has been based on a pair of concentric tubes.

Detroit News Article on Bangle-concentric_tube.jpg

Essentially the top tube is the glazed bit of the car and the bottom bit is the doors etc...

His view was that car design had evolved with different fashions, always using this principle and that there were now not that many new places to go.

His options were either to look back and go retro (like jaguar with the s-class) or try a different approach which would be a starting point for a further 20 years of evolution. He chose the latter route with the 7 series and considers that the latest designs are a stepping stone away from the concentric cylinder approach to something new.

For me this makes sense of the 'bangle butt' and the fact that, at least at first, the front of most new BMW's seems to belong to a different car to the rear. The vertical sides and flame surfacing are also (apparently) a resistance to the 'cylinder' effect.

Don't know if this is artistic b*ll*cks or absolute genius - but it did help me understand what the hell BMW are up to.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

I think the high, upright grill on the new 7 Series is done to meet pedestrian safety guidelines that request a higher front surface. I think Europe is introducing actual requirements in this regard before the U.S. Can anybody confirm just what those guidelines require? I think it looks bad.

And I just can't believe there are that many car-to-pedestrian impacts at speeds where these little changes will make any difference. I don't know the numbers, but I just can't imagine they are very high.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='244161' date='Feb 22 2006, 10:36 AM
Personally, I don't understand the criticism of Bangle. I think his designs are wicked. I loved the 745 design from the first moment I laid eyes on it. I think the entire BMW product line has come along with excellent, innovative and fresh designs which set new standards that other car companies basically follow.

In fact, I prefer the look of the 745 to the newly redisigned 750. I thought the thin taillamps on the trunklid looked better than the newer, fatter ones.

I could not agree more with the above statement.

Love Bangle designs. 745 looks much better than the refreshed 750. Future 7 looks like crap IMHO.

Long live Bangle
Old 03-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='251247' date='Mar 7 2006, 11:48 AM
I could not agree more with the above statement.

Love Bangle designs. 745 looks much better than the refreshed 750. Future 7 looks like crap IMHO.

Long live Bangle
Always loved his work. Got to respect the chances they took with the new design. Bangle's got bigger balls than the rest of the industry's design heads put together. Just took everyone else a couple of extra years to realize he and his team were on to something.