E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Delayed tranny fluid change responsible for idle vibration and engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all,

I have a 2004 545i Auto with 40k on the clock, and out of warranty. Took it to my local dealer 3 months ago for a full vehicle check, and the only problem found was leaking transmission fluid (which was confirmed by a previously unnoticed puddle of oil on my driveway). They quoted £400 to change transmission sump gasket, which I thought was a bit too expensive. So I though I'd shop around and wait till at least I get a warning on the iDrive that tranny fluid is low. To be honest I'd pretty much forgotten about it until now, and realised there probably wasn't a warning built in for low tranny fluid (they got a warning message for everything else under the sun). Also oil was no longer dripping from the car, which leads me to believe that the oil level is very low or in fact empty. About a week ago an iDrive tranmission error came up saying 'Transmission Fauly, Drive Moderately'. So need to get this problem fixed ASAP! I just hope that no damage has been done to the gearbox.

In the last couple of days, the engine light also came on, along with a iDrive warning at startup (which disappears after a couple of minutes, although the engine light stays on) stating something along the lines of 'Engine Fault, High engine loads can damage catalytic converter, Drive moderately'. There has been rough idling in the last couple of weeks but today, the idling has become so rough that the car vibrates (only when stationary). The engine does not sound as smooth as it previously used to when idle.

I'm defintely going to do the transmission fluid refill some point this week, probably DIY as per the instructions conveniently posted on these forums.

My question is are the two problems related in anyway, or is it just a coincidence that the engine light has also come on? And for which I will need to get the codes read.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Ajay
Old 08-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OUCH!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by Bad Debt
OUCH!

I agree I would not drive the car until the problem is fix. the $400 you tried to save may cost you big money, meaning a 5-8 k or more.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Contributors

Here is the story: your delay in a small priced fixed has resulted in a destroyed transmission (I'm pretty sure this is the case if you go to the dealership and they inspect it I HOPE NOT THOUGH). You will now need to replace the transmission which will cost you $10,000 or more with labor.

I really can't believe you didn't fix the minor problem when it was spelled out for you long ago. I would have never continued to drive the car with a trans leak and oil leaks w/o getting it fixed. You probably have ground up the gears to hell and burned it out with no fluid.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Contributors

You have ignition coils problem that generates this rough idling, I faced the same problem but with 530 (6 cylinders) and the vibration was rough but for your case with 8 cylinders engine the vibration will be little for one coil and rough for more than one,

There is no relationship between these two problems!
The following users liked this post:
dan_a (07-10-2022)
Old 08-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Members

Damn you guys are really scaring me, now!

This is in fact my mum's car, which she barely drives. I've been abroad for the last 3 months, so I asked her to drive my car until I fixed the problem, so there should be VERY little mileage (about 300 miles) done on the car since the problem was discovered. I can only hope that this hasn't done too much damage to the gearbox, if at all. There have been absolutely no transmission problems (apart from the one warning)and the gears are changing smoothly as ever. But I will defintely not be driving it around any time soon. I think I will probably forgo the DIY route now and get the work done by a main dealer. I hope I DON'T have learn the moral of this story the hard way.

I might as well get the codes read by the dealer while I'm at it, with regards to the engine light.

What would be the symptons for a damaged gearbox?
The following users liked this post:
dan_a (07-10-2022)
Old 08-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by chiefmeisterflex
Damn you guys are really scaring me, now!

This is in fact my mum's car, which she barely drives. I've been abroad for the last 3 months, so I asked her to drive my car until I fixed the problem, so there should be VERY little mileage (about 300 miles) done on the car since the problem was discovered. I can only hope that this hasn't done too much damage to the gearbox, if at all. There have been absolutely no transmission problems (apart from the one warning)and the gears are changing smoothly as ever. But I will defintely not be driving it around any time soon. I think I will probably forgo the DIY route now and get the work done by a main dealer. I hope I DON'T have learn the moral of this story the hard way.

I might as well get the codes read by the dealer while I'm at it, with regards to the engine light.

What would be the symptons for a damaged gearbox?
Usually that message which says Transmission Fault and your car only goes up to 3rd gear. I've pretty much already concluded that if I see that message its better off to just run my car into a tree at 60mph and jump out before impact. Either way it'll be a total loss. lol
Old 08-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Members

Not to beat you while you down "mate" but when your car is leaking a vital fluid, you must get that taken care of right away. Think about a dry tranny shifting gears, god just the thought of it is making me cringe. I wish you the best keep us informed.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

It is one thing if it was engine oil and you could top it off as well as keep an eye on it, but the tranny has no dip stick and no easy way to Fill it either.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:47 AM
Members

The transmission failure message only appeared once, and the car has no problem going above 3rd gear.

Just checked underneath the car again today. There is thankfully still some oil leaking, so there is at least still some transmission fluid remaining. It's going to the dealer for a refill on wednesday. Does anyone know the capacity in litres of the transmission gearbox, as I think it will probably need more than the original 2 litres that was quoted? The original estimate quoted 2 x ZF Workshop Oil at £13 each, so I'm assuming that meant 2 litres at £13.

Quick Reply: Delayed tranny fluid change responsible for idle vibration and engine?