E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dealer inspection report

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My local dealer was offering a 'free' 30 pt inspection along with a 20% off service/labor month.

Got an oil change on my 550i for $109. I had to force them to just do an oil change and not a computer scope (for +$60).

Before I list the inspection results, my 2007 550i has 72,000 miles. I am anti-dealer. Just dont trust them and figure they over charge. Same goes for the big service intervals. e.g. Inspection I or II that go for $1000-$2k.

Back to my report.

I know my front brakes are due in 3000 miles. I plan on doing it myself with aftermarket pads. I did that already with the rears. However, the dealer wants to also replace the rotors. I know they replaced the rotors during the latest pad change. I cannot imagine it would need new rotors after one set of front pads. About 20k miles. Agreed? Dealer wants $828. I can get pads for sub $150.

They want to replace the battery (2 hrs of labor...seriously) $340. Says a weak/bad cell. I can replace it, but I have zero symptoms of an issue. Thoughts?

Rear tires...ok, this car eats tires. I will replace them myself. So funny tho, they say they are bald and 'slick/dangerous'. I can still feel some tread..probably 1-2mm. got them 12-15k miles ago. Just stupid mileage. They wanted to use Bridgestone run flats, $1027. I currently have Yokohama S-drives. Not so happy with them. Suggestions on a good value tire? Thoughts on mixing brands front/rear? Obviously the dealer was going to do it. My wife mainly drives this and isnt exactly an aggressive driver. Discount tire has a Dunlop Direzza for $194 each. I see Bridgestone Potenza RE750 sport, Falken FK452, BF Goodrich G-force sport all for about $210 a tire.

Align all 4 wheels, doesnt give a reason. $250

Oddly, they dont mention the air filter. I just ordered one from Pelican for $20. I checked it myself and it was filthy.

Welcome your thoughts and experiences.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

Dealers usually want to replace rotors when replacing brake pads.

Battery, that's a debate but I opted to go for aftermarket battery and never had it registered. Been fine for 2 years so far.

My dealer also quoted me for RFT tires too when I brought it in for the brake lines recall awhile back.

As for alignment, if there is some sign of uneven tire wears, they will suggest an alignment. Planning to get that done soon too since I do have sign of uneven wear on my front tires.

As for the air filter, I doubt they actually remove it to inspect the air filter. It's only visual inspection hence the "free" inspection.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

BMW and German car rotors are soft, typically they will last about half way past the second set of factory pads before reaching the minimum thickness. So paying a tech to resurface your existing rotor is pretty much not a option. As a dealer they cannot safely allow the brake rotors to to go under spec half way through a set of pads.

Having them slap on pads is pretty much not a option as well as the rotor surface is not flat, and the chance you will have a brake noise is higher.

I have no problems with slapping pads on rotors that are not machined but I'm taking my own chances, for the most part a dealer cannot do that.

And of course you will find cheaper pricing. Going to the dealer is a convenience.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i sport

Discount tire will price match Tirs Rake. I have Dunlop Direzza's on my car. They test well in that price range, and I am happy with them. Just a note, the run flats are hard to remove, tell them you will not tolerate them destroying your wheels!
cheers