E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dealer discovered wheels reversed

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 09 535i Xdrive Technology package Premium Package Audiophile Sound Package

So,I took my car in for the yearly oil change,etc the first time since my indie shop installed my VMR staggered wheels and tires.
They called me to tell me that my front left tie rod had to be replaced,under warranty, but I would have to pay for the alignment.I gave them the go
Ahead and then 30 minutes later they called to tell me that they discovered that the rear wheels were on the front and the front on the rear!
I called the indie who did the job and he told me to bring it in and they will look at it asap.
My question is,should I go after them for screwing up royally(they are Tireracks approved installer) or just have them do the switch.Has anyone heard of this
happening and could it have contributed to the tie rod issue?Thanks for any advice!
Old 10-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Senior Members

I always thought Xdrive was square set up so it was OK to rotate the tires/rims unless you get the staggered set.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 09 535i Xdrive Technology package Premium Package Audiophile Sound Package

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
I always thought Xdrive was square set up so it was OK to rotate the tires/rims unless you get the staggered set.

xdrive is a square set up, but this was a mod with 19 " staggered.The rears are wider and were put on the front with the narrower tires
Old 10-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

xi cars are not aways a square setup.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by ottawarealtor
So,I took my car in for the yearly oil change,etc the first time since my indie shop installed my VMR staggered wheels and tires.
They called me to tell me that my front left tie rod had to be replaced,under warranty, but I would have to pay for the alignment.I gave them the go
Ahead and then 30 minutes later they called to tell me that they discovered that the rear wheels were on the front and the front on the rear!I called the indie who did the job and he told me to bring it in and they will look at it asap.
My question is,should I go after them for screwing up royally(they are Tireracks approved installer) or just have them do the switch.Has anyone heard of this
happening and could it have contributed to the tie rod issue?Thanks for any advice!
Not to sound like an ass - but shouldn't you have checked this when they did the job the first time?

I don't know if having the wrong size wheel/tires cause tie-rod issues, hopefully someone else can chime in. It might since an alignment with incorrect wheels could cause problems to begin with. At a minimum I'd demand the tires be re-balanced and a full alignment be done. If the tires have uneven wear I'd ask to get them replaced too.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:13 AM
Members

Update.Took it to the indie shop this morning and they looked at things and took the wheels off and discovered that the dealer was wrong,the wheels were not reversed.
I put a call into the dealer and left message for the shop foreman informing him of his staff's mis diagnose, so will see how he handles this!
Thanks for your input.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535I X-Drive - Space Grey / Black Dakota / M-Sport / Sport Auto Transmission with Paddles / Premium I / Premium II / Cold Weather Gone: 2010 535I - Alpine White / Black / Sport, Premium & Cold Weather Packages / Anthracite liner / Sport Auto with Paddle Shifters / Navigation / Satellite, HD & I-pod Gone: 2006 530XI - Monaco Blue / Creme Leather

Double check to be sure the correct size tires are mounted on the correct wheels...
Old 10-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

You just can't trust any kind of mechanic, whether they be factory or indy. You must inspect all work done before you leave the establishment.