E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 05:18 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I've washed and gave my car a good clean last saturday. She looks like new at the moment. Only problem I had was a dead battery after my doors were open for just one hour.

BMW Service arrived in 30 minutes and gave the battery some help to start the car.

drove the car around for 20 kms and everything was fine again.

Isn't this a bit quick for a battery to die after having the doors open for just one hour???
Old 03-21-2005, 05:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Mar 21 2005, 10:18 AM
I've washed and gave my car a good clean last saturday. She looks like new at the moment. Only problem I had was a dead battery after my doors were open for just one hour.

BMW Service arrived in 30 minutes and gave the battery some help to start the car.

drove the car around for 20 kms and everything was fine again.

Isn't this a bit quick for a battery to die after having the doors open for just one hour???
[snapback]104501[/snapback]
Way too fast. I also thought the car has some sort of battery rundown protection, which shuts off interior lights before the battery dies?
Old 03-21-2005, 05:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Well my the strange thing is my interior lights were still burning but the starter only did click, click when I tried to start her up.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by drjochen' date='Mar 21 2005, 09:21 AM
Way too fast. I also thought the car has some sort of battery rundown protection, which shuts off interior lights before the battery dies?
[snapback]104503[/snapback]
It does shut them off after some time but if you keep opening and closing the doors or trunk, they'll keep turning back on again...
Old 03-21-2005, 06:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I've never understood why a company like BMW won't put a decent car battery in their vehicles.

$150 will get you a superb, deep-cycle battery that can withstand total drainage multiple times for years.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 9/04 BMW E46 / 3

At the day I got my new E60 parking in front of my garage after driving 40 KM home the battery went low after 2 Hours playing on Idrive and radio. But the power-management gave me a warning before all went down so I could start the car.
Does that warning in Info and Cockpit not appear in your car?
"Battery low" or something with warning sign?

I had big luck with my BMW but I had this battery problems in every BMW...
Old 03-21-2005, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The warning may only come on if the key is in position 1 or 2.

If you simply leave the doors open or constantly open and close them with the key off, I doubt you'll get any warnings...
Old 03-21-2005, 08:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

Originally Posted by Harry' date='Mar 21 2005, 10:47 AM
At the day I got my new E60 parking in front of my garage after driving 40 KM home the battery went low after 2 Hours playing on Idrive and radio. But the power-management gave me a warning before all went down so I could start the car.
Does that warning in Info and Cockpit not appear in your car?
"Battery low" or something with warning sign?

I had big luck with my BMW but I had this battery problems in every BMW...
[snapback]104568[/snapback]
Welcome to the forum, Harry!
I had this warning just after 15 minutes playing with destination on my Nav Prof
And also had poblems with batteries on all off bimmers.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Spring for an Optima Yellow Top battery, and you won't have these issues anymore.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:08 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

That's weird...every BMW I've owned will turn off all interior lights after 15 minutes, certainly not enough to run down the battery. There must be another problem.

Quick Reply: dead battery