E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A day at the Track

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='591782' date='May 30 2008, 12:31 PM
Sounds like a great time , did you use your street tires ? If so how is the wear factor ? What do they charge for the day and what does it include.?

Cheers
Just street tires. I'm sure it shortened their life much faster than street driving just due to the gforces, but there was no noticeable differnce on the tires at the end of the day that I could see. If you did it every weekend you would have to budget for tires, but a couple of times a year makes virtually no difference.

The rule for this course was the cars had to be street legal (including tires) and have ICBC insurance (you are actually covered by ICBC while on track because it is "driver education" not a "racing/track day". If the laps are timed, then you can not be covered.)

The day cost $300 which includes a catered track side lunch. This also includes helmet loan/rental. I burned about one and 1/4 tanks of fuel on the track, plus had to drive to mission and back so gas is almost as much as the fee. The company that puts it on is Driving Unlimited (they train the RCMP among others). The event was organized through the BWM car club of bc. To take this course you need to complete a prerequisite "Car Control" course which I think is about $180 if I remember correctly. That course is also an all day event and also a lot of fun - it's mostly traffic cones on an airport runway, but really fun and challenging. Driving Unlimited has a big focus on safety and skills development which I like. Their instructors are excellent and it is great value. Here's the link: http://www.bmwccbc.org/schools/index.html

I plan to do the "Road Skills" session again, maybe in the fall, then go on to level 3. It's like those dustless pads.....once you do it you'll wonder why you waited so long.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='591777' date='May 30 2008, 12:25 PM
I've been meaning to do this but haven't had time. Sucks.
Tony, your car's too pretty for the track.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by KnIgHtCoM' post='591818' date='May 30 2008, 01:15 PM
Tony, your car's too pretty for the track.
She'll look prettier tearing down a track. Would love to hear my engine scream at full throttle.

I'm trying to sign up for a Car Control Clinic session in Marina (near Monterey), CA on Jul 19th. We'll see...
Old 05-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SPF Cobra #1019

I used to open-track my Cobra for a few years, until it got too expensive, so I know the feeling and experience you had.

A good friend of my mine is involved with Hooked on Driving. They offer excellent "on track" driver training. Check them out: http://www.hookedondriving.com/home.cfm
Old 05-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, Carbon Black, Black Dakota, Black Diamond Trim, 6sp Sport Automatic with Paddles, M-Sport Package, Premium Package

Originally Posted by Westcoast M5' post='591761' date='May 30 2008, 12:01 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else thinks this is the most fun you can have with you clothes on?
Yeah, probably! About 10 years ago I autocrossed a CRX, it was unbelievably fun. I want to get my car out to the track so I am definitely going to look into it. Thanks for the information.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Members

Hey, EuroCarFan where can I find the info for that? I live in Fresno(Central Valley) and I think it would be a great Idea if i sign my dad up for one of those as a Fathers Day gift hes getting a Z06 and I think he needs to learn to drive what he's got... Maybe ill tag along but i would be a joke @ a track with a 530i
Old 05-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by E60Power' post='591869' date='May 30 2008, 02:51 PM
Hey, EuroCarFan where can I find the info for that? I live in Fresno(Central Valley) and I think it would be a great Idea if i sign my dad up for one of those as a Fathers Day gift hes getting a Z06 and I think he needs to learn to drive what he's got... Maybe ill tag along but i would be a joke @ a track with a 530i
Here's the link to the Golden Gate Chapter of BMWCCA with the listing of events around here: http://www.ggcbmwcca.org/?page=calendar&category=2

Not sure if there's another BMWCCA chapter in your area so you might want to check the main website at http://www.bmwcca.org/

You have to be a member to sign up for these driving events but I'm not sure if you have to bring a BMW. I mean, if you're a member, you can probably sign up and go with your dad in his Z06. Not sure.

As for your 530, there should be no reason why you can't bring it to this Car Control Clinic as it teaches driving basics and emergency maneuvers. Stuff any driver in any car could benefit from.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:29 PM
JPJ
Contributors

Next Friday for me --- can't wait! For anyone who hasn't taken their car to a high performance driving school you are really missing out. The one I'm going to is at Waterford Hills Road Racing course and is through the Detroit area BMWCCA chapter. My dealer caters a wonderful lunch and also brings in coffee and bagels in the morning. They even do free tech inspections before school (that's why I always wonder why some of you have dealers that are such jerks about mods and the like). Cost for BMWCCA members is only $120.

Year before last I had an instructor with a E36 M3 CSL that was highly modified for the track (incl racing seats and 5 point belts, full cage, tricked out suspension, and slicks). He took me out for 2 long sessions in his car -- grip it had through the corners can't even be described. That alone was worth the cost.

I'm really wanting a track car now.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by Westcoast M5' post='591761' date='May 30 2008, 12:01 PM
I took a driving course a couple of days ago at our local track (Mission Raceway). It was incredibly fun - if you haven't done this before you have got to do it!
The instructors were great and I learned alot. The car was incredible too - the faster you go and the harder you push it the smaller the car feels. Unfortunately I forgot to bring my camera (and thought twice about posting this without photos). There was another M5, lots of M3s, and Audi R8, Lotus Elise, etc. I've now got the bug.....I need more track time!!!

Is it just me or does anyone else thinks this is the most fun you can have with you clothes on?

Attachment 51648
Wow, that sounds GREAT!!
Old 05-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60Power' post='591869' date='May 30 2008, 02:51 PM
Your 530 will be a joy to take around the track. It's all about skill and finess. Take you skills to the next level and get your car to do things you didn't believe it could do!

Quick Reply: A day at the Track