E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dashboard creaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
Just noticed my 6-month old car's dashboard creaks when going over large humps. Anyone else have this problem, and what are possible cause and remedy? Thanks
Old 02-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by tosoon' post='387943' date='Feb 6 2007, 03:09 AM
Hi All,
Just noticed my 6-month old car's dashboard creaks when going over large humps. Anyone else have this problem, and what are possible cause and remedy? Thanks

Its most likely not your dashboard but your windshield. When the temperature outside gets cold, my windshield creaks. I took it in a couple of times for this issue. First time they started a PUMA case, with no real fixes ever reported back. The second time they lubed the areas were the windshield meets the frame, and this seems to have worked. Although a temporary fix, I do not hear the creaking this winter. But I do hear creaking from my the right side of the rear deck, which I also had fixed before by the dealer, using felt tape.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Senior Members

It could be your dashboard, it could be your windshield. If it's definitely not the windshield you may want to look into tighten the screws that hold your idrive screen and speedometer screen in place. My car used to creak too because the screws weren't tightened all the way. If the screens really are the problem and tightening the screws didn't help too much you may have to take the screws out and clean around the edges of the screen then put it all back together. It's not very hard, there's only 2 screws per screen.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by tosoon' post='387943' date='Feb 6 2007, 10:09 AM
Hi All,
My dash gives the snapp, crapple and popp sounds when the car has been out in -20 - 40 C and warming.

Shit it's cold out here. -30 - 40 C next nite...

BTW funny to notice that -40 C and -40 F is the same temperature...
Old 02-06-2007, 12:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='388106' date='Feb 6 2007, 12:45 PM
It could be your dashboard, it could be your windshield. If it's definitely not the windshield you may want to look into tighten the screws that hold your idrive screen and speedometer screen in place. My car used to creak too because the screws weren't tightened all the way. If the screens really are the problem and tightening the screws didn't help too much you may have to take the screws out and clean around the edges of the screen then put it all back together. It's not very hard, there's only 2 screws per screen.
I've definitely got some creaking from my speedometer screen area too. I didn't realize there were screws that could be tightened. Where are these screws located?
Old 02-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by chris.y' post='388133' date='Feb 6 2007, 01:59 PM
I've definitely got some creaking from my speedometer screen area too. I didn't realize there were screws that could be tightened. Where are these screws located?
On top of the screen, they go up into the dashboard.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

i hear and experience that also but only in the mornings, and the sound also comes from the right hand passenger side. during any other time of day there's no creaking.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

I had a similar problem in my previous E60 (a 530d). The dashboard started to creack especially driving on uneven roads, bumps and doing tight turns. The problem was solved only when, after several weeks, a "super-expert" coming from the headquarter suggested to check the bracing strut connecting the front suspension domes. The local mechanics discovered that the bolts of the bracing strut were not tightened with the specified value of torque; therefore, they tightened all the bolts at the right value and all creaking in the dashboard disappeared. For several weeks, it was very, very frustrating !!
Old 02-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='388163' date='Feb 6 2007, 03:21 PM
On top of the screen, they go up into the dashboard.
Heiss5 - thanks for the tip! One torx t-10 screwdriver later the creaking from the plastic screen in front of the speedometer and tach is gone.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by chris.y' post='391324' date='Feb 13 2007, 10:10 PM
Heiss5 - thanks for the tip! One torx t-10 screwdriver later the creaking from the plastic screen in front of the speedometer and tach is gone.
No problem, glad I could help.

Quick Reply: Dashboard creaking